S3 8v manual

Leevr

Reaction score
Can anyone with an S3 8v manual tell me exactly what I should expect from each driving mode. Sound, suspension and exhaust. All four tips or two tips for each mode. I've googled it but don't seem to get a definitive answer for the manual. Seems that auto is the predominantly preferred box. Eco to dynamic, don't seem to get much of a difference. If any. Dash mounted false speakers don't seem to figure.

There's options outside of dynamic?...

Reactions: richinsoton, Russkiya and Audi Bairn
Eco softens throttle response. I only use this if i’m going on a long drive.
I’m in Dynamic 99% of the time.

Exhaust tips is dependment on RPM i think.
I have coded the exhaust flaps to be open at all times, so all 4 tips are in use.

Eco softens throttle response. I only use this if i’m going on a long drive.
I’m in Dynamic 99% of the time.

Exhaust tips is dependment on RPM i think.
I have coded the exhaust flaps to be open at all times, so all 4 tips are in use.

Albeit mines an auto but I've got 42mpg in dynamic before.

42mpg? were you even driving an s3?

I'm lucky to see 22...

Reactions: sve170 and RhysCasey94
42mpg? were you even driving an s3?

I'm lucky to see 22...

Yep, 60mph average speed cameras on the way home from Coventry. Overall average is around 26mpg.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yep, 60mph average speed cameras on the way home from Coventry. Overall average is around 26mpg.
I find that hard to believe.
Mixed driving 8 miles to work from cold with regular spirited bursts, anywhere between 28 and 33, Took it really easy once to try it and got 37.
Motorway journey+a bit of town driving usually gets 35 to 38.
Long motorway journey with some 50 mph stretches gets 38 to 40.
Long term average after 9000 miles shows 32.6 but these figures are usually 10% optimistic compared to fuel in/miles done.

I normally leave mine in dynamic but switching out and back into dynamic does seem to make a difference and sharpens throttle response further. Unless you have mag ride the only other differences different driving modes make is to steering weight, noise at higher revs and how cruise control responds.
I only use economy mode in a winter to dull the throttle response on slippery wet roads. Does eco also limit maximum turbo boost? Possibly? I don't know. I suppose eco should deliver slightly better fuel economy due to gentler acceleration and less rigid speed control if using the cruise control - but not a lot of point fretting over 0.5 mpg if you buy an S3.
Disengaging drive and dropping the engine to idle when you lift off the accelerator at speed with STronic is just weird if not dangerous.

Talking of exhausts - The quality of the FL chrome tips is ***** and mine have now pitted quite badly. They were still like new on my 3 year old 1.8 TFSI

This should make it easier to believe :grinning:

kjcEYlu.jpg

Reactions: Leevr
This should make it easier to believe :grinning:

kjcEYlu.jpg

Like @Matt Titanium my long term average is around 32mpg and had that across a pre Fl SB (20k miles) and a FL saloon (4K miles) and both are never out of dynamic . I might be inclinded to take it in to be looked as have been similar situations where some S3’s have suffered from low mpg

Like @Matt Titanium my long term average is around 32mpg and had that across a pre Fl SB (20k miles) and a FL saloon (4K miles) and both are never out of dynamic . I might be inclinded to take it in to be looked as have been similar situations where some S3’s have suffered from low mpg

My commute to work is around 4.8 miles, depending what shift I'm on it'll be a clear drive at 30mpg plus or there'll be traffic where it's less so. It easily achieves 30mpg plus when driven 'normally' whether in Dynamic or Auto.

Reactions: Daveotto
Mixed driving 8 miles to work from cold with regular spirited bursts, anywhere between 28 and 33, Took it really easy once to try it and got 37.
Motorway journey+a bit of town driving usually gets 35 to 38.
Long motorway journey with some 50 mph stretches gets 38 to 40.
Long term average after 9000 miles shows 32.6 but these figures are usually 10% optimistic compared to fuel in/miles done.

I normally leave mine in dynamic but switching out and back into dynamic does seem to make a difference and sharpens throttle response further. Unless you have mag ride the only other differences different driving modes make is to steering weight, noise at higher revs and how cruise control responds.
I only use economy mode in a winter to dull the throttle response on slippery wet roads. Does eco also limit maximum turbo boost? Possibly? I don't know. I suppose eco should deliver slightly better fuel economy due to gentler acceleration and less rigid speed control if using the cruise control - but not a lot of point fretting over 0.5 mpg if you buy an S3.
Disengaging drive and dropping the engine to idle when you lift off the accelerator at speed with STronic is just weird if not dangerous.

Talking of exhausts - The quality of the FL chrome tips is ***** and mine have now pitted quite badly. They were still like new on my 3 year old 1.8 TFSI

That’s strange as my FL S3 is 12month old and the tips are superb, not a single sign of pitting. I don’t have any cleaning regime for them, just get cleaned during frequent wash, dry off, job done. I did however on first week of ownership apply Meguiers Metal Paste to them, wiped onto all four tips, wiped it off with microfibre cloth and since then no issues with pitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.H
That’s strange as my FL S3 is 12month old and the tips are superb, not a single sign of pitting. I don’t have any cleaning regime for them, just get cleaned during frequent wash, dry off, job done. I did however on first week of ownership apply Meguiers Metal Paste to them, wiped onto all four tips, wiped it off with microfibre cloth and since then no issues with pitting.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cared for (or not) in exactly the same way as my old tips. Don't think I'm the only one to have this problem.

Ah, You meant 42 mpg with 60mph ave speed cameras? 26 mpg in those conditions would be unbelievable.

Yeah, that's what I said lol

As you say 26mpg would have been shocking haha even the R32 managed more than that.