S3 8v improve handling and ride ?

brown

Hello folks, sorry another question...

I have a facelift S3 3door, looking to improve the handling and retain some road comfort (possibly improve it), what’s a tried and tested kit to use ? Not looking for coilovers, just some shocks and springs, I know some have used the B12 kit from bilstein and some use Koni, what’s best?

Not looking for lows (tho dont mind a little drop) just an improvement in handling and ride, cars done over 60k so current shocks are probably tired

And what’s the rear anti roll bar change do ? Does that help ? I’d like some playfulness in the chassis and I bit more confidence to it all, do spacers make any difference ? What else suspension wise, bushes, top mounts, etc is worth swapping out ?

Other car is an e46 M3 on KWv3 so want a kit that’s similar but not too harsh or crashy if that makes sense, looking for oem ride with just better handling.

Thanks in advance

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Give Damian @ dpm a shout, he's a great guy & knowledgeable to help supply the kit you need.

B12 is good.

Dubjam

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Koni Special Active shocks...plush.

B12 far too harsh for me daily driving.

Neil C

@Dubjam - can you get Koni Special Active to fit a PFL Sportback TDi S-Line ?

P.S.
Sorry for the hijack.

Dubjam

Staff member
VCDS Map User
@Dubjam - can you get Koni Special Active to fit a PFL Sportback TDi S-Line ?

P.S.
Sorry for the hijack.

Of course...the struts are often the same throughout the A3 series, other than being either a 50mm or 55mm version. Its the springs that have quite a number of different weightings, but using them with your OEM springs are perfect as you engage the full gate system of the Special Actives, I use Eibach Pros though, so I do lose about 10mm of the initial gate. Still, its a world away from the crappy original suspension.

Last edited:

Neil C

Thanks.
My car has done 80k miles, so I'm considering refreshing the struts, bushes, top mounts, etc.
Just have to decide whether my budget can stretch to it.

Dubjam

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Thanks.
My car has done 80k miles, so I'm considering refreshing the struts, bushes, top mounts, etc.
Just have to decide whether my budget can stretch to it.

I think the Konis are about £50-60 more than OEM Audi shocks (but may have gone up since Brexit and Covid), well worth it in my opinion for what you gain as the S-Line suspension is so poor. But yeah, it does become a pricey job when changing the top mounts as well.

DPM

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
As Nigel has mentioned, the B12 kit is a good option. It's firm but I wouldn't say harsh. The Koni shocks are definitely more forgiving which could be matched with something like the Eibach Pro springs to try and retain that comfort.

Let us know if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Fatbloke

Just (3 weeks ago) put a full B12 Sportline kit and front and rear anti roll bars on my A3. Totally transformed the handling, ride, comfort. Its a pleasure to drive.
I did notice also, that at only 51,000 miles both rear dampers were completely knackered. No damping or resistance whatsoever in them. I would assume the fronts weren't much better.
I got the whole kit from Damian a while back. I wish I had fitted it sooner.

Reactions: DPM

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
This is what I did:
  • Revo engine mounts
  • H&R springs
  • H&R ARB's
  • Michellin PS4S tyres
Pretty solid handling

brown

Thank you for all the replies, it’s been really helpful, I think for what I want, increased comfort and better control the Koni special active shocks sound ideal, maybe along with some eibach springs, will also upgrade to Michelin PS4’s as they will need replacing after winter.

Will report back once it’s all fitted.