S3 8V economy with/without remap

Scott325SE

Reaction score
Okay, so aside from a change of driving styles or how fast you go "point to point", has anybody noticed a change in fuel economy before/after having a remap or mods to their 8V?

I think the most fair comparison would be motorway cruising. How fast you cruise is another variable, so let's say that we all do 70 on UK roads and only do more than 70 in Europe (officer).

What do you guys get at UK70, and what sort of economy do you get at Euro speeds, say 80/85/90/whathaveyou?

Feel free to state shortened format, say maybe:
"Standard car, Euro80motorway, 35mpg"
for example.

Just curious to see if mods are affected the cruising economy better/worse for steady driving, as it's generally regarded that the cars breathe more easily with mods and generate more torque with a map.

Thanks for people's input

Don’t have a map BUT I’d say you can assume it does. (Will assume you understand the power band shift to a lower limit rpm concept) If it doesn’t give you an increase, or not enough of an increase, does it actually matter to you?

I’d like to know personally as efficiency is the key to more power, and I’m still impressed at the engineering marvel that the S3 can manage from an efficiency standpoint

My old focus diesel gave about 10% more mpgs after a remap, but sadly on the S3 it has had zero affect, tried and tested.

Last edited:
T.O.F.B.R. what's of interest to me is people's feedback.
Choosing to do a mod without a reportable result would be considered a gamble. Choosing to go Stage1/2/3 Modified with a decent level of feedback to assess, means that I'm forearmed with information - no point in 'wanting' 60mpg out of it, when the consensus says that you'll get 12mpg, for example. And, let's be honest, every tuner will claim that a 10% improvement is possible but 100 people saying that it's a pipedream is feedback that I'm more inclined to believe. I picked the motorway cruising option for 2 reasons - 1, that it provides something more "uniform" than your favourite country B-road.
2. I do a fair bit of motorway chomping, so it would help me assess the economy of my boring driving... As opposed to my smiles per gallon figure (spg, not mpg) that I prioritise for back-road driving.

Damo, feedback much appreciated. Thank you !

My old focus diesel gave about 10% more mpgs after a remap, but sadly on the S3 it has had zero affect, tried and tested.
Think the STronic change points are a factor here? In the old days on a VW, you needed to map the DSG to reflect the new torque settings when making the most power. Could it be that the box also needs some tweaking? Since the box still changes, presumably at the same points, they are changing a little too high in the rpm range to make any gains?

Think the STronic change points are a factor here? In the old days on a VW, you needed to map the DSG to reflect the new torque settings when making the most power. Could it be that the box also needs some tweaking? Since the box still changes, presumably at the same points, they are changing a little too high in the rpm range to make any gains?

My S3 is a manual.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing
Well that theory was shot!

Mad LOLs T.O.F.B.R.

My car is also a manual and (as an aside) Damo was one of the first to reply to some earlier posts regarding manual clutches, so thanks to Damo for being a regular on the boards.

Reactions: Damo S