Facelift S3 8V DIY Oil Change

Svenedin

Reaction score
I've searched the forum for an answer to this question but I couldn't find anything.

I may do an interim DIY oil and filter change. The simplest way I could do this would be to suck the oil out with a vacuum extractor. To be honest I think this would be good enough especially as this is an oil change in addition to the standard oil change interval. However, being old-fashioned and a purist, I would rather drain the oil via the sump plug.

My question is, is there a complicated under tray to remove to gain access to the sump? I would have to get the car up on ramps just to see underneath (and I'd need ramp extensions so as not to crunch the bottom of the bumper and I don't have any of those) so it isn't a 5 second job to answer my own question!

I've read about the plastic/composite sump plug and that doesn't seem too scary although I've never changed the oil in a car with a plastic sump before.

The under tray has 5 or 6 torx screws and then 2 bolts at the back. It's not overly difficult to get off as long as you have decent access.
The sump plug is a little weird and didn't inspire me with confidence, however it was fine just don't try to overtighten it!

Reactions: Svenedin
I bought a Sealey vac pump for doing oil on my daughter and sons cars it was excellent sucked out the 5;2 litres in my daughters mini would highly recommend :thumbs up:
BF45EF26 3106 425A 9196 37BB6E9120AA

Reactions: Svenedin
The under tray has 5 or 6 torx screws and then 2 bolts at the back. It's not overly difficult to get off as long as you have decent access.
The sump plug is a little weird and didn't inspire me with confidence, however it was fine just don't try to overtighten it!

That doesn't sound too bad. I've read the sump plug clicks into place when it's properly tightened.

Correct it does, I thought I'd snapped it or something lol.
It's just weird that it's not a normal thread type bolt
That doesn't sound too bad. I've read the sump plug clicks into place when it's properly tightened.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

There’s 3 T45 bolts at the back, 8 T25 I think around ether side and front. It should just slide straight out mate. It’s a doddle honestly.

Reactions: sentinal13 and Fatbloke
There’s 3 T45 bolts at the back, 8 T25 I think around ether side and front. It should just slide straight out mate. It’s a doddle honestly.

OK thanks. I've realised my old ramps are too narrow for the S3 tyres so it'll be jacking up and axle stands which adds further bother so I'll probably be lazy and use a vacuum oil extractor. The 4 axle stands I have are currently holding up my convertible Morris Minor....

Honestly the easiest oil change I have ever done and no need for an extractor
I used 3 cuttings of decking on each wheel and drove up and got enough room to do the job took under 10 mins my old r
Screenshot_20180906_215722_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180906_215736_Gallery.jpg

Honestly the easiest oil change I have ever done and no need for an extractor
I used 3 cuttings of decking on each wheel and drove up and got enough room to do the job took under 10 mins my old r

Screenshot_20180906_215736_Gallery.jpg

That's interesting thanks. In that case I don't need much extra clearance at all. Laser make some low rise ramps (Machine Mart sell them) that only raise the car 70mm. They are really designed to enable a standard trolley jack to get under a low slung car but actually that 7cm of extra ground clearance might be enough for me to do the job. I will put my overalls on tomorrow and get under the car and see how tight it is. It's supposed to be dry tomorrow so no excuse!

Thanks for the replies. I put my overalls on and got on the ground this morning and very quickly concluded that there is no way at all I can get under the car without lifting it in some way (ramps or axle stands). That is easier said than done for me because my drive is narrow and it isn't level and the road outside isn't flat either. I will have to speak to my neighbour who has a flat area I could use. I also have to retrieve my axle stands from under my Morris which means putting parts of the Morris back together first. For those reasons it's going to get the vacuum oil extraction this time which may not be the "gold standard" way of doing it but is better than not changing the oil at all and will do as an additional, interim oil change.

Thanks for the replies. I put my overalls on and got on the ground this morning and very quickly concluded that there is no way at all I can get under the car without lifting it in some way (ramps or axle stands). That is easier said than done for me because my drive is narrow and it isn't level and the road outside isn't flat either. I will have to speak to my neighbour who has a flat area I could use. I also have to retrieve my axle stands from under my Morris which means putting parts of the Morris back together first. For those reasons it's going to get the vacuum oil extraction this time which may not be the "gold standard" way of doing it but is better than not changing the oil at all and will do as an additional, interim oil change.

For the best part of 10 years on my old car I used those vacuum tanks and it did it no harm, changed every 10k. Made it to 180-190k before some idiot decided to drive into the side of it. Still original engine,turbo, cams which was bad for failing when not serviced or using the wrong oil.

Reactions: Phutters
For the best part of 10 years on my old car I used those vacuum tanks and it did it no harm, changed every 10k. Made it to 180-190k before some idiot decided to drive into the side of it. Still original engine,turbo, cams which was bad for failing when not serviced or using the wrong oil.

Excellent. I have put nearly 10K miles on it since the last oil change (which Audi did) and it won't be due another oil change for what IMHO is too long so that's why I'm going to do an interim one. It isn't expensive as a DIY job (Opie oils seem the cheapest for the required spec) and I enjoy tinkering anyway. I'd like to do it before Winter (which is tough on a car). The vacuum method makes oil disposal very easy too -just take the whole device to the council dump and pour the oil into the used oil container.

If you get a dealership to do an oil change as part of a service, do they routinely drop the undertray and drain the oil from the sump plug or vacuum pump it out?

Are they supposed. to drain it from underneath, or is a five-litre suck an acceptable alternative?

I remember seeing copies of invoices on here and elsewhere which show a modest charge for a new sump plug or sump plug washer, and while I'm not suggesting for one moment that anything untoward is going on, the thought flitted briefly through my mind and paused just long enough to make me wonder.

I should have asked them myself I suppose, but it's been so long since a rich relative shuffled off this mortal coil and bequeathed me enough to be able to afford dealership oil change rates that the question hasn't arisen.

Just curious, like...

Last edited:
If you get a dealership to do an oil change as part of a service, do they routinely drop the undertray and drain the oil from the sump plug or vacuum pump it out?

Are they supposed. to drain it from underneath, or is a five-litre suck an acceptable alternative?

I remember seeing copies of invoices on here and elsewhere which show a modest charge for a new sump plug or sump plug washer, and while I'm not suggesting for one moment that anything untoward is going on, the thought flitted briefly through my mind and paused just long enough to make me wonder.

I should have asked them myself I suppose, but it's been so long since a rich relative shuffled off this mortal coil and bequeathed me enough to be able to afford dealership oil change rates that the question hasn't arisen.

Just curious, like...

I had assumed that Audi drain the oil via the sump plug but last time they did an oil change on my car I didn't actually ask. I can afford dealer oil change rates too but that doesn't mean I find their charges acceptable!

Reactions: alpesh26
You probably get a quick wipe of your engine cover and that’s the oil change done:welcoming:

Reactions: alpesh26
You probably get a quick wipe of your engine cover and that’s the oil change done:welcoming:

Not quite as bad as that. My oil was definitely changed. It was very dirty before and clean afterwards so Audi did something at least.

Just curious, like...

They suck it out but charge you for a sump plug. We did the oil change on my sisters A3 last weekend which had been in to Audi for an oil change in the past and the back 3 bolts for the undertray were still tight from the loctite that was on there. If it was drained from the sump, the back 3 bolts would have been looser. I'll be doing oil changes myself on my S3 even though its under warranty

S3 oil change is easy, put it on axle stands on the subframe and get cracking lol. It does take a lot of oil, around 5.7 litres. The 2.0 TDI has the oil filter just above the belly panel at the front of the engine and you have to remove some wiring to get it out, crappy design...

Reactions: Phutters
Or Audi could of just over tightened them after the change. It’s an easy process for DIYers to change oil and filter.

Or Audi could of just over tightened them after the change. It’s an easy process for DIYers to change oil and filter.

Possibly, but if they didn't remove the panel, makes me wonder how they changed the oil filter on the 2.0 TDI...

I have ramps from Costco. They are wide and take a ton each. I made a couple of extensions out of wood and fitted blocks under them in the middle so they didn't bend when driving up them and blocks on the end that slot into the ramps so the extensions lock into place.
It's easy to get on the extensions and as soon as there is weight on them, it stops the ramps from sliding when traversing along the extensions. I found before that sometimes going straight onto ramps can push the ramps backwards. That never happens with the extensions.
The 150tdi still has the metal sump and standard sump plug. Also the filter is underneath at the front with a big wire in the way that you need to hold to the side. You also have to drain the filter first. Very poor setup. The filter on the top on other models is much better. Easier to access and already drained as it's upside down.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Nothing wrong with sucking out oil as long as the oil is nice and hot. Mercedes/Smart cars don't even have a sump plug and so have to be extracted via a pump - as with many marine engines. As you have said, modern cars are low and need ramps plus extensions. Undertrays are an added nuisance - mine has 11 torx consisting of two differing sizes! :blush: BMW are sensible and put a little access flap in the undertray for oil servicing :highly amused:

I have ramps from Costco. They are wide and take a ton each. I made a couple of extensions out of wood and fitted blocks under them in the middle so they didn't bend when driving up them and blocks on the end that slot into the ramps so the extensions lock into place.
It's easy to get on the extensions and as soon as there is weight on them, it stops the ramps from sliding when traversing along the extensions. I found before that sometimes going straight onto ramps can push the ramps backwards. That never happens with the extensions.
The 150tdi still has the metal sump and standard sump plug. Also the filter is underneath at the front with a big wire in the way that you need to hold to the side. You also have to drain the filter first. Very poor setup. The filter on the top on other models is much better. Easier to access and already drained as it's upside down.

Good to know. My ramps came from Machine Mart years ago. They are 2.5 tonne and the wide model (but not quite wide enough). They still make the same ramps and there are extensions available for them at about £14 the pair.

I looked at the metal extensions before. They always look a bit short so I made decent length ones out of scrap wood and made them so the hook in and can't move. They are nice and low because of the length. Fine for the lowered VRS and lowered Boxster. The ramps are up to 235 but the Boxster 265 fit ok.

IMG 2839
Did my oil change this morning with a Sealey 6.5 litre vacuum extractor. I parked the car slightly nose down (I live on a hill). I surmised that nose down would get the best volume extracted. Well I got 6.5 litres out, the full capacity of the pump and then a tiny bit more. I thought the the engine held 5.7 litres so I was a bit surprised by so much oil. I did do the oil filter as well and the oil in the filter chamber drained down into the sump so that accounts for a bit more but even so. Oil was jet black and disgusting after 10K miles since last oil change. Old oil Castrol Edge 5-30wLL and replacement the same. Mann oil filter (as original).

Old oil......yuk. But doing its job and all the yuk is in the oil.
IMG 2840

Last edited:
Here's the ramp extension I made.

The right hand block below sits on the ground to stop the board bending and the middle block sits in the bottom rung between the sides of the ramp (wider to fit) to stop any sideways movement and the left hand block sits a few rungs up to lock it into place.

As soon as the wheels go on the wood, the weight stops any risk of the ramp sliding backwards.

Very safe and works with lowered vehicles easily.

Attachments

• IMG_20180927_163237.jpg
    IMG_20180927_163237.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 162
I did mine at the weekend all very easy just lifted the car put it on axle stands undid the sump plug with a flat head screwdriver and let it drain out!

Oil filter needs a 32mm socket, that just unscrews pop the new one in with the o ring

Job done! Failing that how much do Audi charge?

Reactions: gringosteve
My recommendation, buy proper ramps. People die from cars falling on them during services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My recommendation, buy proper ramps. People die from cars falling on them during services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See I don’t trust ramps but do axle stands

Tbh though I took both front wheels off as I needed to take the bumper off so I put both wheels under the car so if it dropped it wouldn’t drop on me