S3 8V common faults?

EthanHD

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an 8V S3, more than likely a 5 door.

Just wondering if there's any common problems / problems with certain options that people have had hassle with? I know they've probably not been out long enough for anything major to come up but I'm still interested.

Also, I'm looking at getting it direct from the dealer, so I was also wondering what the service plans are like, as well as if they are any hassle with warranty work?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
Haldex, Haldex and Haldex.

Also water pump can be fragile.

What can be done to prevent both of these failing? Or is it just changing the haldex oil etc?

What can be done to prevent both of these failing? Or is it just changing the haldex oil etc?

It seems pretty indiscriminate search on here for wheelspin and traction control issues - most are due to 4wd issues mainly a faulty Haldex pump or worse than that faulty transfe box or rear differential. Service intervals aren’t until 40k miles I believe so unless you’re looking at a high miler then that won’t come into it. My car has done 30k miles and has had all drive line fluids replaced (DSG, trans box, Haldex and rear diff) and 3 engine oil changes. I guess the obvious applies look for a well maintained car with a good service history and with some period of warranty remaining.

Is the haldex system covered under warranty do you know? I'll be keeping services up etc, and be looking for one that's been cared for, seen a few about on 30k miles which seem alright

Is the haldex system covered under warranty do you know? I'll be keeping services up etc, and be looking for one that's been cared for, seen a few about on 30k miles which seem alright

Yes it will be the proviso is that the car has not had a power increase putting extra bhp & torque through the drivetrain - my car is modded so I’ve taken my chances and understand the risks hence why I’ve reduced service intervals for consumables. If buying from an Audi dealer I can’t imagine you having any issues.

Yes it will be the proviso is that the car has not had a power increase putting extra bhp & torque through the drivetrain - my car is modded so I’ve taken my chances and understand the risks hence why I’ve reduced service intervals for consumables. If buying from an Audi dealer I can’t imagine you having any issues.

I'll be leaving it stock at least for the first year or so anyways, insurance is enough as it is

Reactions: Forbzeeee and Rob2k68
I'm looking at getting an 8V S3, more than likely a 5 door.

Just wondering if there's any common problems / problems with certain options that people have had hassle with? I know they've probably not been out long enough for anything major to come up but I'm still interested.

Also, I'm looking at getting it direct from the dealer, so I was also wondering what the service plans are like, as well as if they are any hassle with warranty work?

Thanks in advance!

Just took delivery of my S3

Not driven it more than a mile and two faults already coming up:

1) boot doesn't pop open on pressing boot logo on key
2) constant 'suspension fault' which beeps whilst driving and says 'you can continue driving'

Have notified Lincoln Audi where its bought but had no reply....lets see what pops up next time I drive it!

Not impressed ....

1)boot doesn't pop open on pressing boot logo on key

On the Sportback, this button merely unlocks the boot, disabling the alarm, allowing you access without unlocking all doors, and auto locking and re-arming the alarm when you shut the boot, thus not making you have to re-press the lock button.

I'm guessing it can be programmed as the button used for auto opening, if you have that function or get it retrofitted (on the saloon cars)