S3 8V "bludder from exhaust" on full throttle

Lovric Nikola Martin

Reaction score
Suddenly (past month) my S3 8V -16 has begun to make a "bludder" sound from the exhaust when going full throttle. Only in this specific scenario (full throttle). Its not a continuous sound, there are about 2 or 3 quick bludders when accelerating hard, and then everything goes back to normal. Never had this happen before. I thought maybe bad gas, but I've had a few tank refills from different pumps and issue is the same. I have step1 software and the transmission software update on this car since a few years back without any issues. Car is at 89000kms. Any ideas what could be causing this, and if it possibly could cause damage?

Thanks for any tips

Can you post a recording of it, either outside or from inside with the windows down?

Any hesitation from the car when it does this?

Since you are stage 1 and TCU tune then that open a lot of other possibilities compared to a car with a stock map.

Can you post a recording of it, either outside or from inside with the windows down?

Any hesitation from the car when it does this?

Since you are stage 1 and TCU tune then that open a lot of other possibilities compared to a car with a stock map.

Thanks for your reply. I think that will be very hard to record without setting up an outside recording device. Yes there seem to be a tiny hesitation in effect when the bludder occurs, but its extremely tiny. Also what I forgot to mention, it doesnt occur every time I accelerate like this. Maybe every other three times. And there are maybe 2-3 "bludders" (dont know how to describe it, like a very faint farting noise) that presents itself very quick, not even a seconds time. Usually there are like two or three of these every time this occurs.

The car is up for an oil change, spark plugs and some filters, so I will see what happens after this. Maybe I will ask the shop to troubleshoot the issue.

DSG farts (like someone ‘blowing a raspberry’) are normal on fast acceleration high rev upshifts - try googling and see if it is your noise. If not then audio recording would really help to try to identify it.

Do you know which company did your stage 1 remap? It could be programmed to make noises that a standard car wouldn’t.

DSG farts (like someone ‘blowing a raspberry’) are normal on fast acceleration high rev upshifts - try googling and see if it is your noise. If not then audio recording would really help to try to identify it.

Do you know which company did your stage 1 remap?

Yeah, that's not the sound. This sound does not come from shifts. However I keep reading that bad spark plugs can cause this issue, so I am hoping for that. These plugs have not been replaced for many years. According to the dealer they are also scheduled to be replaced, or should have already been replaced. So I will await the replacement and see what happens. Regarding the remap I dont know the make, but I know its a reputable company. And during the 3-4 years I had the map I never had any issues, so I am hoping for the spark plugs.

At your mileage I'd be also considering replacing the coil packs as well as the spark plugs. The coil packs can break down over time and with you having a Stage 1 they will have a higher stress with workload and heat. Just something else to consider :blink:

When I had my old Octavia vRS running on stage 1 remap, I had the occasional 'splutter' on full throttle. I removed the map and it never happened. I changed the spark plugs, but still the same. I did get error codes on 1 pot, it was in the end a single coilpack causing the issue..

Not exactly on topic but I think it's interesting all the same, did you know there was a hole in the back box on the S3?
I was under my car yesterday with the engine running, looking for leaks etc. after changing the Haldex oils and could hear a strange noise (can't even begin to describe it!) eventually found a pressed hole about 4 mm in diameter in the bottom of the back box, presumably it is a condensate drain as it has a darkened trail blowing backwards from it, but all the same it does make a slight noise.
So if you do hear a small unusual noise from the back it could be this.

I had the car back from service for a few days. There was an inspection service done, change of haldex oil, motor oil, spark plugs etc. And I have not been able to re-create the stutter/sound, so it seems to have been solved. Im guessing spark plugs. The coils were replaced maybe 3 years ago for RS3 coils.

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated :icon thumright: