S3 8P Top Mounts

S3P

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm going to be replacing the shocks in my S3 8P soon and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice about top mounts; there's loads about them on the 8L forum, but not much I can find for 8Ps. The OEM part looks quite different to the run of the mill rubber mounts, is that the case? Do they wear out, and should I just replace them whatever as the suspension will be out? Everyone on the 8L posts seems to rave about LCR top mounts, is there a worthwhile upgrade for the 8P, or should I just use OEM?

I'm also fitting 42DD gearshift bushings this weekend, so I'll be interested to see what difference they make.....

Cheers,

Phil

On the S3 8p you're looking at quite a costly move there.

Why do you want adjustable topmounts.

The cheapest way of getting extra camber is the TTRS TCAs but adjustable mounts such as the kWs need a lot of extra suspension work.

Thanks Alex. I wasn't really thinking of adjustable top mounts, just whether the existing ones would be knackered and whether it would be worth ordering some new ones, so I have them when the suspension comes off just in case. I just bought the car last month, so I don't know if they've been done before.

034 Motorsport top mounts are very good by all accounts

Ahhhh right I see.

In that case replacement stock parts will be fine as I used the kW v3 suspension on stock mounts with no probs over around 30 000 miles before the whole lot was replaced.

Sounds like a plan then. How did the OEM ones look after 30000?

Sounds like a plan then. How did the OEM ones look after 30000?

Bit chewy.
Those are the suspension rubber mounts after 50 000 miles below

IMAG0339Copy.jpg

I replaced all of the suspension bearings with Superpro mounts and the entire suspension with kW ClubSport gear.

That's my mind made up then, I'll get a new set from the stealer tomorrow. Was replacing the bearings a DIY job?

That's my mind made up then, I'll get a new set from the stealer tomorrow. Was replacing the bearings a DIY job?

Not for me!

It means dropping the coilovers etc and if I tried it it would be messy.

I leave it to a man who can!

Reactions: grainqey
Ha ha! Fair enough, I'm no mechanic either, but I reckon I'm going to have to become one if I'm going to be able to afford all of these upgrades I never knew about before!! All of those hours watching Wheeler Dealers can't be completely wasted!

Ha ha! Fair enough, I'm no mechanic either, but I reckon I'm going to have to become one if I'm going to be able to afford all of these upgrades I never knew about before!! All of those hours watching Wheeler Dealers can't be completely wasted!

I hear you!

You can make these cars surprisingly fast but it costs a LOT doing it well.

I would replace top mounts for sure. I wish i did. One of the top mount captive nuts started to spin.
I had to cut the head of the bolt using a hacksaw blade. It was a nightmare!
Its fairly simple to do though.

If you go with OEM replacements order the RS3 top mounts, they're tougher than the standard S3 jobbies & are slightly cheaper

just get some TT top mounts like Alex said , said what i got for mine stiffer and better sadly no polyurethane like 8Ls

034 Motorsport top mounts are very good by all accounts
well, a bit of a old thread, but just came home from AMD with 034 top mounts fitted, wota pile of ****, car runs like all front bushes would be made of stone or somethin', it's unreal how horrible the noise is one clunk after another n it's just goes on n on n on....waste of money n time!!! AMD did warned me about it but i didn't expect the ride to be so ****, so yeah, now got to live with them for few weeks till next pay day, can't wait to get the oem mounts back on, so anyone considering 034 top mounts be warned...

Reactions: S.
I have kW topmounts on mine and I think you have to accept this sort of thing is a compromise between handling,adjustability and comfort.

Comfort will always come off worse although mine isn't bad by any means and you're welcome to a run at the next AMD rolling road day.

Reactions: lucky_bob
I have kW topmounts on mine and I think you have to accept this sort of thing is a compromise between handling,adjustability and comfort.

Comfort will always come off worse although mine isn't bad by any means and you're welcome to a run at the next AMD rolling road day.
that's the thing, i think up until u start to mod the suspension everyone thinks they want a 'drivers' car, now i know that all i want is just a fast sort of comfy (let's face it S3 ain't the comfiest car to start with anyway) daily point to point car n these top mounts r one step too far...i bet they would make a great mod on somebody's car but just not on mine, so stock mounts it is for me...
yeah, would be great to feel the dif between the two cars, u could either save me loads of money or drag me down the BT rabbit hole :smile new:

well, a bit of a old thread, but just came home from AMD with 034 top mounts fitted, wota pile of ****, car runs like all front bushes would be made of stone or somethin', it's unreal how horrible the noise is one clunk after another n it's just goes on n on n on....waste of money n time!!! AMD did warned me about it but i didn't expect the ride to be so ****, so yeah, now got to live with them for few weeks till next pay day, can't wait to get the oem mounts back on, so anyone considering 034 top mounts be warned...

everyone is entitled to their opinion and observation but many of us who run with these mounts have an entirely different experience. I don't have the same experience as you and my experience with the mounts have been positive. I have less noise and slightly more vibration. I like the steering feedback and I have no annoying sounds. It's been a positive upgrade and I recommend them to others. Let them settle in a bit and then reassess.

Reactions: S3Alex and lucky_bob
agreed, but i will stand by saying they are too harsh for my liking n i truly believe that for most daily drivers they will be too harsh...

tcardio where r u based, if in cambridge area i would be interested to compare the ride quality...

that's the thing, i think up until u start to mod the suspension everyone thinks they want a 'drivers' car, now i know that all i want is just a fast sort of comfy (let's face it S3 ain't the comfiest car to start with anyway) daily point to point car n these top mounts r one step too far...i bet they would make a great mod on somebody's car but just not on mine, so stock mounts it is for me...
yeah, would be great to feel the dif between the two cars, u could either save me loads of money or drag me down the BT rabbit hole :smile new:

You're more than welcome.

I think some people might find mine a bit on the nervous and bone-shaking side,but I've had a car with solid mounts(suspension and engine/gearbox mounts) plus rose-jointed suspension before,and that was seriously hard,although the suspension was extremely well controlled.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and observation but many of us who run with these mounts have an entirely different experience. I don't have the same experience as you and my experience with the mounts have been positive. I have less noise and slightly more vibration. I like the steering feedback and I have no annoying sounds. It's been a positive upgrade and I recommend them to others. Let them settle in a bit and then reassess.

I wouldnt say mine are harsh either....it's better controlled,but never changed from when they were installed,i.e. there was no settling in.

With suspension,like brakes,it's really a case of one man's meat being another man's poison......it really does polarise opinion.

Reactions: tcardio and lucky_bob
if i wouldn't had put them on i would of always wondered about them, now i know that they r not for me, but could be fine with more eager drivers, so, yeah, one mod will not work with everyone, but that don't make the mod a bad one...thx for replays, that's the beauty of these forums, u read wot others say n make ur choice, but until u put something on u will never know if it suits ur needs...

I'm planning on fitting my coilovers next month and will probably get top mounts and bushes done, as needed, at the same time. Car's done 47k, so makes sence to do it now while the suspension is in pieces. Will probably stick to OEM mounts/bushes to keep as much comfort as possible. Was thinking about upgrading the ARBs, but not convinced yet.

Does anyone know if the Whiteline Anti-Lift kit is worth it with this setup?

Ahhh..I see what the mounts that lucky_bob had fitted are.

I was thinking more along this sort of line.....

A lot of those rubber mounts are pretty hard,and I think for anyone who doesn't want that,sticking to OEM bushes etc may be worthwhile.

The bushes,engine mounts,and pretty much everything else on mine have been changed,and I think either the Whiteline or Supaloy Anti Lift kits are worth it,once the coilovers and ARBS have been done,but not otherwise.

Reactions: lucky_bob
I'm planning on fitting my coilovers next month and will probably get top mounts and bushes done, as needed, at the same time. Car's done 47k, so makes sence to do it now while the suspension is in pieces. Will probably stick to OEM mounts/bushes to keep as much comfort as possible. Was thinking about upgrading the ARBs, but not convinced yet.

Does anyone know if the Whiteline Anti-Lift kit is worth it with this setup?

This is the Supaloy kit....

Very well made,light by comparison with the OEM iron,and better located.

Reactions: leshkin
Hi lucky_bob,

I had the Revo engine mount kit fitted a few days before the Rolling Road Day at AmD Essex last year.

The NVH levels when I first had them fitted were pretty shocking - especially when engaging 1st gear and pulling away from a standstill. The car honestly felt like it was broken.

That said, I read up on it a bit before - and got some advice from others that have similar fitted - and still decided to go for it; knowing that they were always going to be harsh to begin with and that I should give them some time to bed in.

4/5 months on and they're much more tolerable now.

They're still noisier than the standard mounts, with more vibration through the wheel; but the steering feels better - likewise the gear changes - and although it's much noisier in the cabin, it's actually a sound I've gotten quite used to.

It pretty much feels and sounds like a race car now!

I'm quite fortunate that most of my car journeys are short, but when I have had a long drive to contend with, cruising at motorway speeds isn't that bad at all. It only feels and sounds like a race car when you really floor it, and I can live with that.

My advice to you would be to leave it for 3/4 months so they have the chance to fully bed in, and then re-evaluate.

If it's still too much, just ditch them and get the OEM ones put back on.

If they settle down a bit, you might actually start to like them... :)

Reactions: lucky_bob, tcardio and S3Alex
thx for input everyone, yeah, 034 mounts r basically same as oem in looks, but just made of some hardened rubber cost around 80 quid so nothing expensive, but they r defo not for me, will stay on for few weeks till pay day then they r gone...
i'm running whiteline ALK, H&R ARB's with some eibach pro kit springs, can't say a bad word about these mods, made the steering much more sharper n precise, car feels more planted to the ground, no body roll...

Reactions: S3Alex
Arbs will be my next purchase! Then it will be just little,things like uprated bushes etc when they need changing!
I do get a knock though when I'm changing from 1st to 2nd due to how sharp the clutch is... Not sure what to do here tho? It's like the engine moves when driven hard from 1st to 2nd? God knows?

Arbs will be my next purchase! Then it will be just little,things like uprated bushes etc when they need changing!
I do get a knock though when I'm changing from 1st to 2nd due to how sharp the clutch is... Not sure what to do here tho? It's like the engine moves when driven hard from 1st to 2nd? God knows?

That could be down to engine mounts.

If you haven't had those done,the extra torque from Stg2+ can certainly make the engine move around on stock mounts.

Is this a big job and how much are we looking at? If I can't get it done atm then you can have a ride at the rolling road day and see what you think ;-)

Is this a big job and how much are we looking at? If I can't get it done atm then you can have a ride at the rolling road day and see what you think ;-)

It's not a big job,and not terribly expensive either.

THS,Revo,and VWRacing all produce mounts.

I've got the VWR mounts which I believe are made by Vibratechnics,which are pretty hard,and I wouldn't recommend solid mounts for anything other than track use.

You will notice more NVH after they've been fitted,but again,if you don't use solid mounts,it won't be excessive.

You're more than welcome to a grumble up the road in mine at the RR day,if it's all ready to go by then,but it is a bit noisy and harsh anyway.

Reactions: Compkiler
couldn't wait any longer,went to AMD today, stock audi mounts back on and could not be any happier, no noise just a really nice more stable n sharper drive thx to arb's n walk:) 034 track mounts, never again:anonymous:

Reactions: S3Alex