S3 8P Slipping Clutch - Uprated clutch kit and advice needed

atkins14

Reaction score
Website
www.peteratkins.co.uk
Well I have my 2007 S3 8P which is at stage 1 currently, however since then I have also added a full exhaust system with sports cat.

My clutch slip has become more noticeable over the pass couple months, the car has now done 80K. I have already searched the forum and seen some old posts regarding clutch kits etc, but most the links are dead now and looking to see if anyone has any current recommendations?

I doubt I would go beyond stage 2+ so a kit that is suitable for that amount of power. I am also trying to keep the spend as low as possible.

I know ebay do a few kits, not sure how good they will be. I have also come across a black diamond kit here:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/che...nd-stage-2-kevlar-clutch-kits/bdc3019kvr.html

Anyone got any up to date links, recommendations or advice?

Well I have my 2007 S3 8P which is at stage 1 currently, however since then I have also added a full exhaust system with sports cat.

My clutch slip has become more noticeable over the pass couple months, the car has now done 80K. I have already searched the forum and seen some old posts regarding clutch kits etc, but most the links are dead now and looking to see if anyone has any current recommendations?

I doubt I would go beyond stage 2+ so a kit that is suitable for that amount of power. I am also trying to keep the spend as low as possible.

I know ebay do a few kits, not sure how good they will be. I have also come across a black diamond kit here:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/che...nd-stage-2-kevlar-clutch-kits/bdc3019kvr.html

Anyone got any up to date links, recommendations or advice?

Everyone has their preferences....

I used a Sachs organic up to the lower end of Stg3 and it lasted until 440lbs.

That keeps the DMF,and feels pretty much like stock,but won't cope with drag launches etc.

After that I used a Spec Stg3+ Carbon/metallic clutch plus SMF,which had lasted until the latest round of mods,at 550lbs.

I would avoid paddle type clutches for town use,and remember that any SMF setup will feel a bit knobbly at idle.....other than that,there is a decent set of choices.

Have a search around for information on Sachs or Helix organic clutches. These retain the dual mass flywheel and are good for stage 2+. Another make that a few people have is called Spec. I think these use a single mass flywheel.
I will probably go with the Helix when mine starts to slip.
You may wish to research a small piece of kit called the "push clutch to start" bypass harness. There is a suggestion that the updated chutches put more pressure on the crank shaft thrust bearings and when starting the car from cold puts extra pressure on the bearings before the oil has circulated causing the wear. The bypass harness means you do not have to push the clutch down to start the car. However, there are many tuned cars out there that have suffered no problems at all.
It is quite an interesting DIY modification at approx £25.00

Search for Sachs organic clutch and you should find all info and part numbers etc, I posted on a few posts recently as that's what I had fitted after stage1 was done.

Thanks guys, I will continue to have a search, just wondered if anyone has had experience with the black diamond ones at all? They seem a little bit more reasonably priced...

Speak to AKS Tuning, they are offering the Helix clutch kit with DMF and organic clutch with the slave cylinder, cover bolts and flywheel bolts for £800inc vat. They can also fit for £360 in house or post for £15. EcoTune in Glasgow also recommended going to the Helix kit when I was there getting my APR Stage 2+.

Reactions: atkins14