s3 8p owners review

Paradox1

Reaction score
hi all, a friend of mine is looking to buy. new s3, he wanted to know what so owner think of the car for some feed back. what do they map to, any pros/cons

thanks

hi all, a friend of mine is looking to buy. new s3, he wanted to know what so owner think of the car for some feed back. what do they map to, any pros/consthanks
If you mean what power can they be taken to.....anywhere from 310bhp with a simple Stg1 remap,to around 600bhp if you really want to.
Pros.....solid,reliable car,with a well proven tuning base and readily available parts,but your friend should be aware that anything after the Stg1 remap can be costly,as he will need a new clutch and flywheel,exhaust,and at Stg2+,an uprated HPFP,and above that,things really start to get expensive,as he can add in brakes,suspension and intercooler,if he hasn't already.
Cons....cost,and little things like plugs,coil packs,and assorted odds and ends
Mine has run reliably over nearly 40 000 miles now,most of that at above 360bhp,with the only hiccup being a broken HPFP electrical connector,but the rule is that if you do remap and add a LOT of power,get it done properly,by someone who knows what he's doing,and treat it properly(regular servicing and oil changes every 5 000 miles.....all of my work has been done by AMDEssex,whom I would recommend to anyone.

Had nothing but trouble with mine since I bought it new about 18 months ago, so far a new engine, and god knows how many times it has been back, still has the engine light on now with fault (too rich at idle), it goes off and then back on again. Maybe most of my issues are down to the Revo software Stage 1 and not a problem with the car, though the new engine was a hair line crack in the block on cylinder 1.

Car has never let me down though, and I still love driving it to bits, If I could really be bothered I would have the Revo map completely removed, and add the MTM map, but I am fed up with it tbh and just drive it now.

I do find it frustrating though that the S3 is to suppose to be the top performance in the range, but seems so de-tuned in stock mode. I do think Audi have issues with the engine as well which does not help matters. I think it is a little dated as well in the gadgets, but they just all work.

I love the whole concept though of the Audi S3, it suits my age, as in lack of ability now :( style of driving, 4WD, and most of all the safety of the car. DSG is great, fuel consumption also great if driving properly. I do think the only slight downside to driving is the under-steer, would like it just a little more balanced than it is, though I understand why Audi make it the way it is.

If you can get a good one at the right price and find the right remap, (sorry not Revo) it will give you a lot of fun.

Reactions: RedDejavu
I think that there are probably a lot more happy Revo users than not,and obviously I would count myself amongst those.

For those who don't like or don't want their products at least we have MTM GIAC and a host of others to choose from.

However for really high power applications I think that Revo is the best by far.

I think S3Alex it depends what version Revo, and most of all what S3, people with my Year S3 have had issues with Revo, Version 9 caused an intermittent hesitation that Revo said was a problem with the car for a year until they bought out an update that solved the problem. Version 10 has solved the intermittent issues, Version 10 in my view is a tamer version of the remap as well. Some of us are also concerned over the issue of spark plugs life, but no one is really sure what is causing that.

The worst thing for me was I reported the intermittent issue to Revo as soon as my car was remapped, but if the car was turned to stock the hesitation was still there but very very slight you really had to look for it, this made me think like everyone else it was a engine car issue, and even more so when I had the engine replaced but it still was there after, in the end I just lived with it. Eventually I found out the Revo Version 10 came out, (Thanks to these forums) Version 10 removed the hesitation, GREAT :), BUT this also means that once you have Revo software installed stock mode is not stock mode any more, as the Revo software is still effecting the engine management in some way or other.
I still have issues but at the moment I am not blaming anyone, only time will tell how long the plugs last again, and then the battle commences again to solve all these niggling problems, Car seems to run fine at the moment engine light on or off.

I think you're right and I've seen a lot if the threads on this topic.

The problem is the number and combinations of different mods and manufacturer updates and revisions,which really doesn't help matters either.

It's clear that Audi are making remaps more difficult as a manufacturer but also that mist if their dealers like seeing and working on updated cars.

Never has so much potential been available with so much stealth.

They're a tad quirky in the engine dept. but get a good one and keep it running right and here a joy to own.

Had my one and only S3 and Audi since Sept. 1st. I love it. I came out of a modified Subaru and even so, I like the Audi more. More refined, more 'sleeper' car than of course any Subaru is. Every gadget apart from one (electric folding mirrors) I wanted was on the car from new. Its still only two months old but I really do enjoy it. Oh, and that launch control! LOL, you gotta love that :)