S3 8P fans running all the time, even with no key in the ignition!

prt57

Reaction score
S3 8P fans running all the time, even with no key in the ignition!.

So this afternoon, I decided to check out the gear cable end links on my S3 with a view to fit the 42DD VAG Shifter Bushing Set as sold by AKS.
So I removed my Revo intake and unplugged the connector going to the temperature sensor in the coolant pipe above the gearbox for a better view.
However, when starting the engine after putting everything back together both fans came on full blast. Turn off the ignition and they still kept on running. I undid the negative battery terminal and they stopped.
I then just turned the key to ignition without the engine running and they started up again.
Seemingly, the only way to stop them was to disconnect the battery.
So what is going on and what is the fix? I am thinking a dodgy temperature sensor that I disturbed by unplugging the connector.

Please help!!

What does the DIS tell you about the outside temperature? I just fixed my dad's JCW mini with the same issue. Ended up being the outside temperature sensor being totally off.

It must be something related to what I did in that I drove it out of the garage, unplugged the coolant temperature sensor plug to gain more access to the cables. Put everything back together again started the engine and then very loud fan noise.
I think I will change the temp sensor in the morning.

Just an update in that there must have been something wrong with the temperature sensor on the side of the engine above the gearbox. Maybe it had a poorly soldered internal wire that broke away as I pulled off the connector.
Anyway, I fitted a new sensor today then fired it up and no fans running and so back to normal again. Even the EML disappeared from the dash.
Anything to stop the car going to my local Audi garage!

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Just an update in that there must have been something wrong with the temperature sensor on the side of the engine above the gearbox. Maybe it had a poorly soldered internal wire that broke away as I pulled off the connector.
Anyway, I fitted a new sensor today then fired it up and no fans running and so back to normal again. Even the EML disappeared from the dash.
Anything to stop the car going to my local Audi garage!
Glad to hear you have it sorted now , happy days n no Fonzie