S3 8P clutch slip

sheardowns3

Reaction score
Hi all, so i recently treated myself to red S3 8P lucky me. However tried showing off to my mate with 4k launch and well nothing happened haha.

Just hit the red line and got a big wiff of clutch through the vents :(. Is this normal for an S3?

The cars only done 60k miles and the clutch has never slipped under hard acceleration to date.

Any help is welcome :)

What year is it? In the earlier models the clutch is known to be like chocolate and do not like launches.

Launches are the fastest way to ruin a clutch - and they are soft in earlier S3's there was a rumour that in later 8P's Audi fitted better clutch plates but that the DMF is sitll a weakpoint.

If it slips under normal driving and its not mapped and you doin't intend to map it get a stock clutch fitted. If you are mapping it get a new DMF and upraded Sachs clutch plate.

All of the above.

S3 manual clutches are pretty poor all round,but a word of warning re the Sachs.

It IS an excellent clutch,and allows you to retain the DMF,but it will not like being launched frequently.
Any organic clutch will suffer with that sort of treatment.

I just tried showing off the quattro but it didnt end well haha. I will be upgrading the car in the next 12 months or so.

The car is a 2007 so im guessing the is an earlier one?

Think im going to go down the revo stage 2 route so will be doing the clutch asap!!!!!

I just tried showing off the quattro but it didnt end well haha. I will be upgrading the car in the next 12 months or so.

Think im going to go down the revo stage 2 route so will be doing the clutch asap!!!!!

Same version effectively as mine.

The clutch is barely adequate for stock torque.

The Sachs is a good everyday choice,and means you don't need any compromises with SMFs.

So will a sachs stage 2 clutch handle revo stage 2/2+?

Think ill get revo intake and maybe a blameflame TBE with decat as ive heard good things about these.

The sachs clutch will handle stage 2+ but not if you repeatedly launch it.. Also there are many documented cases of engagement issues with the Loba SMF floating around so keeping the DMF is the best option. unless you are going to really abuse the clutch or go big turbo. In any case I think that with the issues people are having with the Loba setup, Spec make an attractive alternative if you want an SMF but they are a little bit dearer.

I have run Revo Stage 1 on mine for 10k miles now and it hasn't skipped a beat I have only launched the car twice once on the stock map and once after - perhaps I have been fortunate or perhaps the previous owner had already uprated the clutch unbeknown to me but when I go stage 2+ in a month I will know for sure and I will be going Spec + SMF as I want a GTX3071r in due course..

The sachs clutch will handle stage 2+ but not if you repeatedly launch it.. Also there are many documented cases of engagement issues with the Loba SMF floating around so keeping the DMF is the best option. unless you are going to really abuse the clutch or go big turbo. In any case I think that with the issues people are having with the Loba setup, Spec make an attractive alternative if you want an SMF but they are a little bit dearer.

I have run Revo Stage 1 on mine for 10k miles now and it hasn't skipped a beat I have only launched the car twice once on the stock map and once after - perhaps I have been fortunate or perhaps the previous owner had already uprated the clutch unbeknown to me but when I go stage 2+ in a month I will know for sure and I will be going Spec + SMF as I want a GTX3071r in due course..

The Sachs will often take more than it's rated for.

It's rated value is for 400lbs,and mine finally gave up at 440lbs,so it's a good clutch,but as we both have said,being an organic clutch,it won't take serious amounts of abuse,but it DOES allow you to retain a DMF.

The Loba looked like being a really good thing initially,but then the reports of difficulty engaging/disengaging it at high rpm started to surface,plus lack of manufacturer support for those having problems.

As you know,I chose a Spec Stg3+ clutch for mine.....this is a full face carbon/metallic clutch,and avoids the problems and sheer aggro of using a paddle type clutch around town,as well as giving you a clutch capable of handling up to 570lbs.

You may as well just go 2+ than stage 2.