S3 8p brake pads ???

e9_mustii

Reaction score
About to replace my brake pad and discs with new vagbrem j hooked discs, also going to be installing the tryolsport brake stiffenong kits and some yellow braided lines with new brake fluid.
Most of my parts are sourced from AKS but they dont seem.to sell ebc yellowstuff pads, only mintex 1155s does anyone have any good/
Bad experiences with either brand of pads ?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I’ve got mintex on mine, they feel good but took a lot of bedding in. Used to squeal when cold for first 500 miles or more

No squealing now and good stopping power, very dusty tho

I’ll be going for ebc redstuffs next I think as I believe they’re the low dust version and apparently very good stopping power

Reactions: e9_mustii
Spoke to aks said they dont sell ebc yellowstuff due to bad experiences but didn't specify, im not too fussed about brake dust i just want something with very good stopping power

Spoke to aks said they dont sell ebc yellowstuff due to bad experiences but didn't specify, im not too fussed about brake dust i just want something with very good stopping power

The combo of discs and pads is definitely better than it was when I first got the car, assuming they were stock. Mintex aren’t bad at all for the price

The combo of discs and pads is definitely better than it was when I first got the car, assuming they were stock. Mintex aren’t bad at all for the price
I think im no eurocarpart standard pagid sh*t or stock audi

Haha yeah you’ll notice a difference, did you mean aks don’t sell redstuff or yellowstuff?
They dont do any ebc for the s3 at all they have ferodo ds2500 which i dno about and mintex 1155s

Fml need to look into the specs of those and the one from.tge 1155 series see if its worth the extra cost which id doubt

Yeah I highly doubt it’s worth it, yes brakes are important but they couldn’t sell pads that don’t work... cheaper than the pads from aks alone and you could return your j hooks, only seen negative things about them warping and then needing to be skimmed

Yeah I highly doubt it’s worth it, yes brakes are important but they couldn’t sell pads that don’t work... cheaper than the pads from aks alone and you could return your j hooks, only seen negative things about them warping and then needing to be skimmed
Reallly)? First ive heard they look so niceee :(

Reallly)? First ive heard they look so niceee :(

I’ve never had them myself but I’ve seen that said many times when I was looking at what brakes to get, plus if it’s saves you money, sounds good to me

I’ve never had them myself but I’ve seen that said many times when I was looking at what brakes to get, plus if it’s saves you money, sounds good to me
Yea makes sense i dont want to buy something stupidly over priced, but i do want the most bang for buck, so i dont mind paying a premium rate as you tend to get what you pay for

Yea makes sense i dont want to buy something stupidly over priced, but i do want the most bang for buck, so i dont mind paying a premium rate as you tend to get what you pay for

Yeah I get that, thing with brakes is it costs 1000’s to stop a few yards sooner or to stop the fade. I feel like new calipers are the best investment for brakes if you really want to up the stopping power

Yeah I get that, thing with brakes is it costs 1000’s to stop a few yards sooner or to stop the fade. I feel like new calipers are the best investment for brakes if you really want to up the stopping power
Nah youll only ever need a big brake kit if your pushing iver 400 which i have no intention of

Nah youll only ever need a big brake kit if your pushing iver 400 which i have no intention of

Yeah exactly my thought process, personally don’t see the point in pouring that money into a build when I could just buy a faster car instead

Yeah exactly my thought process, personally don’t see the point in pouring that money into a build when I could just buy a faster car instead
Not planning on selling the s3 anytime soon still.havent had my fun but im.not about to drop 10k into it for hybrid turbos etc may just go woth the mintex 1155s 280 for pad is quite abit but well see

Yeah I highly doubt it’s worth it, yes brakes are important but they couldn’t sell pads that don’t work.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - there are lots of reports of chinese copies of branded pads that are made from cheese. You have a performance car, so spend as much as you can on things like brakes and tyres is my long standing advice. Stopping just 1m shorter is the difference between a near miss and writing your car off!

The Mintex road pads are ok (in the kit above), but the Mintex 1155 are a better compound for the S3.

I agree that you don't need a BBK - I ran 400bhp on std calipers with Ferrodo DS2500 fast road pads (there are 2 types - fast road & race) and DBA4000 discs ... https://www.dbabrakes.co.uk/discbrakes/21564/DBA-42808S

If you are at stage 2 or above then ideally you need some 2 piece discs like the ECS ones ... https://surreytuning.com/product/ec...nt-cross-drilled-slotted-2-piece-brake-discs/

I wouldn't be too sure about that - there are lots of reports of chinese copies of branded pads that are made from cheese. You have a performance car, so spend as much as you can on things like brakes and tyres is my long standing advice. Stopping just 1m shorter is the difference between a near miss and writing your car off!

The Mintex road pads are ok (in the kit above), but the Mintex 1155 are a better compound for the S3.

I agree that you don't need a BBK - I ran 400bhp on std calipers with Ferrodo DS2500 fast road pads (there are 2 types - fast road & race) and DBA4000 discs ... https://www.dbabrakes.co.uk/discbrakes/21564/DBA-42808S

If you are at stage 2 or above then ideally you need some 2 piece discs like the ECS ones ... https://surreytuning.com/product/ec...nt-cross-drilled-slotted-2-piece-brake-discs/
Currently on stage 1 but want to go 2+, i was looking at those ecs one thought it may be over kill, plus i have a thing for symmetry so id like to have floating discs at my rear too if im gona put them on my fronts.

Stock discs are 345 but ecs are 340 will this cause an issue ?

I totally agree personally would buy pad or discs off ebay cause you just dont know

340mm is fine. Yes, they are a bit overkill unless you really hammer your brakes, however you do get quite a substantial unsprung weight benefit of approx. 2.5kg per axle, which will translate to a more compliant ride and improved handling. Even 1kg per axle will show benefits. (the graph below is for the Golf R before anyone asks what clubsport discs are, but the weights will be very similar).

Front disc weights

Well I’ve had them for a few thousand miles and they definitely work, I really think it’s easy to say that the more expensive option is best but in this case I’ve got discs and pads for less than musti was going to pay for pads alone.

Discs and pads on my Mrs fiesta was less than £80 for genuine Ford parts, aftermarket parts are a business and their prices reflect that. It really does pay to take a chance sometimes.

Yes 1m can easily be the difference between stopping and a crash but that’s where learning your car comes into it and if you drive so fast on the street that you need even inch of braking force then you need to chill imo

Not planning on selling the s3 anytime soon still.havent had my fun but im.not about to drop 10k into it for hybrid turbos etc may just go woth the mintex 1155s 280 for pad is quite abit but well see

Had mine nearly 2 years and I’ll probably have it for 2/3 more, really love this car.

You do you mate but I’ve run that combo for a few thousand miles and they’re great, if I’d paid £500 for them I’d still be happy
(And they look way nicer than j hooks imo)

The 340mm disc size is from a TTS. You don’t get the ring of rust round like round the edge of the 345mm discs. Better ventilation too.

As an aside, my son uses EBC discs and yellow stuff pads in a TT and he is very pleased with the braking effect. Compared to our TT with standard brakes they are much more efficient.
He had a massive judder problem with OE quality Brembo pads and discs but the EBC kit has no problems.

I run 340 j hooks on the front and the pads cover the whole disc no lip as it wears and less sprung weight.

I previously had ds2500 pads but now minted 1144s, no where nearly as good as the ds, will go back to them next. The mintex don’t seem to have much bite. Rears are standard j hook size.

I agree that more money pads and tyres is always a better solution for 2+ cars, why skimp on the bits that keep you on the road and stop you from stacking it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: e9_mustii, Daveyonthemove and Bryant1998