S3 8P 2010 - Aux not working

MarcoAbreu

Reaction score
Recently picked up an S3 8P 2010 and when trying the Aux connection no sound is playing.

Any idea what could be the cause of this?

Read around and only seem to get the answer of something could not be plugged into the back of the head unit but is that common in a 2010 model with Aux as a standard?

Any help appreciated.

3fKfNbh

https://imgur.com/3fKfNbh
yGMuNuw

https://imgur.com/yGMuNuw

Make sure the device plugged into the AUX socket is playing at full volume and the hifi is on CD.
You may need to enable something in Vagcom to enable it if the above doesn't work.

Recently picked up an S3 8P 2010 and when trying the Aux connection no sound is playing.

Any idea what could be the cause of this?

Read around and only seem to get the answer of something could not be plugged into the back of the head unit but is that common in a 2010 model with Aux as a standard?

Any help appreciated.

3fKfNbh

yGMuNuw

https://imgur.com/yGMuNuw
you might want to remove head unit and check the correct pins have been removed and put into 32 pin plug if not then do a search on site where u will find the pin numbers to remove and where to place in 32 pin plug .
Or buy a alrighty made 32pin plug put into back off unit then reset unit and once reset go to source select Aux and away you go

make sure you have 4 keys not 2. once the keys are in you need to remove the stereo to release them. I ended up driving around with keys stuck out for a few days until more arrived...

Your phone will need to be on max volume and even then it's not as loud as the radio or cd. It looks like this on mine.

44FAA447 39B2 45CE 89F8 525D1980C5E0

make sure you have 4 keys not 2. once the keys are in you need to remove the stereo to release them. I ended up driving around with keys stuck out for a few days until more arrived...

Your phone will need to be on max volume and even then it's not as loud as the radio or cd. It looks like this on mine.

View attachment 195037
Have you noticed his unit is the updated one with Media button

Thanks for the responses!

So to update, the issue is still on-going and im stuck only listening to the radio as the Aux is showing no signs of life.

As per this image below, the media is set to Aux and the volume is high both on my device and the car volume too - no sound comes out.

I have since ordered some keys to pull out the radio and check on the 32 pin (pink one i believe?) and it looks like that's also already there? - Image below.

https://ibb.co/0JQd21L

Any other suggestions of what it could be or how I could resolve this?

Really appreciate any help!!

Do you know if the RNS-E head unit was factory fitted or has been retro-fitted by a previous owner? If retro-fitted from a concert then the aux will stop working unless you add another connector (1J0 972 977 G) and move some pins over from the quadlock to the new connector. I suspect this is the problem.

Last edited:
Do you know if the RNS-E head unit was factory fitted or has been retro-fitted by a previous owner? If retro-fitted from a concert then the aux will stop working unless you add another connector (1J0 972 977 G) and move some pins over from the quadlock to the new connector. I suspect this is the problem.

Not sure if it was retrofitted, but i believe the part your referring to is already connected into the 32pin slot as from a quick google search it looks exactly the same as the pink connector on my pictures.

Is there anyway to know if it was retro-fitted at all?

Also, any diagrams for what pins would need to be moved in the quadlock so I can trace the wires and make sure it all lines up how it's meant to?

Again, thanks for the help :)

Took the car into Audi for a check, they've written the below;

"
Further time required to investigate Aux port inoperable
Non genuine wiring fitted onto the back of the radio and a lot of extra wiring is spliced in - requires removal of aux port, likely removal of centre console and extended wiring checks to put wiring back to audi standard.

* Quoted 2hrs further investigation, please be aware we may not repair the issue within this time and further costs may be involved * "

Quoted £360.00 for these extra 2 hours which might not even result in a fix - although, now I think we know it's been retrofitted.

Anyone who wants to try quote me a lower cost for the fix :) ?

"
Non genuine wiring fitted onto the back of the radio and a lot of extra wiring is spliced in - requires removal of aux port, likely removal of centre console and extended wiring checks to put wiring back to audi standard.

* Quoted 2hrs further investigation, please be aware we may not repair the issue within this time and further costs may be involved * "

Quoted £360.00 for these extra 2 hours which might not even result in a fix - although, now I think we know it's been retrofitted.

I’m sure any Audi retrofit company can do it for you for half the price or less

"

Typical Audi - in other words they don’t know or can’t be bothered.

Do you have the Sat Nav shark fin on the roof? This is typically representative of having the RNS-E and sat nav (some times it’s just for phone).

If not then it’s likely your RNS-E is retrofitted. Get some keys and then post a photo.

Once the unit is out, up above the 2 centre vents there is a little cubby-hole which is where the sat nav unit it normally stuffed if it’s been retrofitted.

This is a nice guide for retrofitting which may help you with your own diagnosis: https://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/rnseauxin

Typical Audi - in other words they don’t know or can’t be bothered.

Do you have the Sat Nav shark fin on the roof? This is typically representative of having the RNS-E and sat nav (some times it’s just for phone).

If not then it’s likely your RNS-E is retrofitted. Get some keys and then post a photo.

Once the unit is out, up above the 2 centre vents there is a little cubby-hole which is where the sat nav unit it normally stuffed if it’s been retrofitted.

This is a nice guide for retrofitting which may help you with your own diagnosis: https://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/rnseauxin

I have the shark fin, this is the back of the unit; https://ibb.co/0JQd21L

Will see if I can make some sense of that guide as it seems too complicated for my wiring knowledge (none)

Wondering if it's a coding issue as I've also recently bought 2 x AMI Bluetooth adapters to see if they worked and neither had even power going into them?

Would that be related? Code reader also had: 01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded + 00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)

Tells us what you have in car IE cruise control, telephone ( in arm rest ) MFSW etc and maybe be albe to help woyh coding issue

Tells us what you have in car IE cruise control, telephone ( in arm rest ) MFSW etc and maybe be albe to help woyh coding issue

I have the MFSW + Cruise Control

No Telephone in arm rest, anything else i need to check?

Thanks again :)

I have the MFSW + Cruise Control

No Telephone in arm rest, anything else i need to check?

Thanks again :)
Firstly can we safely assume the rbse switches on or is it that code you need .

Read ur coding from bottom to top and it should help you code it . Just double check all.
If you try ur new code and it doesn't accept it i would take a punt it will be ur controller that will have had something wrong with it .

So it looks like the rnse was retrofitted.
Factory non rnse has the AUX in the quad lock connector. The rnse uses a separate 32pin connector for the aux. 3 wires need to be moved to get it working.
I suspect whoever added the rnse didn’t make that wiring change.
I can do it for you if you want... it will take about 20 mins.

Reactions: ch1z64 and samuelh_888
Here is what you would nedd to do with the wires and how to do it .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200315-090331_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200315-090331_Samsung Internet.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 298