S3 8P 2007 Creaking Noise Driver Side

Mateuszs97

Reaction score
Hello Guys

In great need of help to point me in a direction of this never ending and frustrating noise that I get from what appears to be inside of the dash on the drivers side.

Link to video:

This noise occurs the moment I start moving the vehicle from stop, even below 3mph. Going over bumps doesn’t cause the noise to be any louder but even driving on a smooth road seems to be there. Turning the wheel left or right doesn’t change the sound.

The whole suspension has been checked over by three mechanic and had new shocks fitted just recently. I will soon be taking the car to my mechanic again but would appreciate anything that would be advised to check to see to find the source of this irritating noise. (According to everyone it doesn’t sound like a mechanical fault) ... maybe the steering rack, if so, would that be easy to check?

Also, would anybody know the part number where I would be able to get that whole cover behind the fog light grill?

Much appreciated

Attachments

• CB9899CF-33A8-4768-848F-F7D606E0AAA0.jpeg
    CB9899CF-33A8-4768-848F-F7D606E0AAA0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
Is the noise there even when you just cruise in a road with no bumps and no turns?
If I had a noise when I am just rolling, I would suspect the moving parts at that time. Drive shaft or the hub bearing.
If you put it on neutral and just roll the noise is still there?

I had a noise very similar to that for about a year although it was coming from both sides. The drivers side noise was coming from around where my left foot was. Towards the end it started to make more noise when I put more load on that side, for example if I hard locked right and pulled off the noise would be on the passenger side.

I had so many different mechanics try and diagnosis it and none of them were 100%. These parts they said I should replace include steering knuckle, steering rack, cv joints, transfer case, strut top mounts as well as loads of other guesses.

What made it so hard to diagnosis is it wouldn't do it unless I was moving at slow speed and obviously you can't see what's going in when you're moving.

In the end I changed the control arm, control arm bushings and ball joint on both sides and so far no noise! But that was only a week ago so I'm not holding my breath just yet

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Hello Guys

In great need of help to point me in a direction of this never ending and frustrating noise that I get from what appears to be inside of the dash on the drivers side.

Link to video:

This noise occurs the moment I start moving the vehicle from stop, even below 3mph. Going over bumps doesn’t cause the noise to be any louder but even driving on a smooth road seems to be there. Turning the wheel left or right doesn’t change the sound.

The whole suspension has been checked over by three mechanic and had new shocks fitted just recently. I will soon be taking the car to my mechanic again but would appreciate anything that would be advised to check to see to find the source of this irritating noise. (According to everyone it doesn’t sound like a mechanical fault) ... maybe the steering rack, if so, would that be easy to check?

Also, would anybody know the part number where I would be able to get that whole cover behind the fog light grill?

Much appreciated

Check web site ( 7zap.com ) where u should find ur part number ,

Can't remember if there is a little storage area by your right knee in these cars (I know some cars have them), but check that area in case it does have one and something in there is loose.
Also, check behind or around your fuse box cover on the very end of the dash where the door closes.
If you have a hard wired dash cam along that door seal, make sure it's wired in flush to prevent protrusions that cause rubbing.

Not sure if any of that will help, but it's free and easy to check if you haven't done so already.