S3 8L r32 mk4 front brake conversion

Argh, I will email and try to cancel my order for the DS3000's. Was just trying to find a website that had the front and rear pads in stock. What are they like on the road when driving normally? Do they wear excessively fast compared to the DS2500's?

I'll be honest I've never used the ds2500
But I was swayed away hugely by prawn and said to get the 3000s.
They wear quickest I guess and are known to kill discs :(

It's the wear that worries me, don't want to be changing pads every 5000 miles of ordinary driving, will be needing changed before I up the power probably so may just try them out. Reading about them on the ferodo the "Not for road use, track only" statement had me worried abit, don't want to be flying though a t junction because my brakes are cold. Still got to get the kw v3's, polybushes, milltek and other cosmetic things before a bigger turbo is fitted...

OK well some people swear by the 2500 so maybe try them for yourself
Cold bite it fine
The Not for road use is stupid.
Law states that any pad must be within a certain friction percentage as the oem part.
The ds3000 isn't within that number because its Co efficient friction is over that percentage.
Stupidly worded rule aparently

Reactions: Prawn
Will maybe just stick with 2500's as I won't be tracking it till the turbos done, will switch to 3000's when they wear out. Getting the timing belt kit, water pump and thermostat fitted, haldex, gearbox & rear diff serviced along with oil, plugs and filters changed on mon/tues. Then will test fit the brakes together before i strip all the undergear off and fit polybushes...

Cool
Just FYI if you plan to track your car properly you may want a baffled sump
Forge do them for a reasonable price

Reactions: Nick94
I can't see me using 3000's in a hurry again... Wear quickly and take the disk out just as quickly, not amazing cold, noisy all the time (specially after hard use), and leave a caked on layer of disk/pad crud down the side of your car which is impossible to remove with normal cleaning methods. . . For an out and out track/weekend car maybe, if this is your daily as well though, I don't think 3000's would be the best choice

Also, f*ck wasting money on baffled sump - Just overfill oil by 10mm

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick94
I can't see me using 3000's in a hurry, For an out and out track/weekend car maybe, if this is your daily as well though, I don't think 3000's would be the best choice

Also, f*ck wasting money on baffled sump - Just overfill oil by 10mm

Brake pads - I agree. Oe pads in proper brakes are plenty for road use. 3000's or similar for track. Not 2500's for anything though. **** on road and **** on track IMO

Overfill oil instead of baffled sump? I couldnt disagree more!!! This won't work at all, I used to try it. Was a fail.

Reactions: daz-20vt
DS1.11's... baffled sump is very worthwhile if tracking the car...

<tuffty/>

Been looking at getting the baffled sump from forge, surprised there's no kits you can weld in the original? A good ceramic wheel sealant and Auto finesse iron out will sort the brake dust problem!

Been looking at getting the baffled sump from forge, surprised there's no kits you can weld in the original? A good ceramic wheel sealant and Auto finesse iron out will sort the brake dust problem!

You would think that... but no...

I use G5 on mine... I use Angelwax Revelation Iron Fallout Remover to clean them... this does ok for the dust but the bonding agent that gets flicked on the centre of the wheel from hot brakes is a different matter... that stuff sticks like shizzle to a blanket and requires more than a lot of effort to remove

<tuffty/>

Sounds like a total pain, especialy if g5 doesn't stop it sticking! Does tar remover help removed the bonding agent? Could maybe try Autosmart Power C as it doesn't evaporate?

After a good clean they still look like this....

20150926-IMG_7625.jpg

<tuffty/>

That's frustrating, how long is that between washes?

24 hours knowing tuffty

Reactions: superkarl
That's frustrating, how long is that between washes?

24 hours knowing tuffty

In terms of actual driving time you are not far wrong :)

Its fairly instantaneous... cleaned it all off... took me most of the day... drive back from unit... brake a little harder than normal from a quick traffic light grand prix and bam... its back :)

The dust washes away easier but it still tends to require a couple of applications to remove from the leading edge of the spokes

<tuffty/>

Do you find it builds up on the paintwork much? Lower half of the doors is always going to be a problem...

Not too bad then, don't fancy taking a clay bar to the paintwork every week!

I think your a bit too fussy to consider tracking your car mate.
Worried about brake dust!!??

Quite possibly haha, see what happens, want to try it a few times though. Brembos arrived today but it's still going to be a while away till everything's done.

With C5 and Angelwax the dust is manageable tbh...its the cr@p on the inside thats the pain to sort

<tuffty/>