1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 8l hazard switch removal

Silva bullet Mar 8, 2018

1. Silva bullet

Silva bullet Member

Hello everyone for the past few weeks I've had no working indicators.
    Fuse is all OK so yesterday I took off the trim around it and couldn't get it removed as it's stiff for some reason.
    Does anyone know what I need to do to get the ****** out..thank you...silva bullet

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. tcg

tcg Well-Known Member

Quoted from Haynes Manual for A3 8L...

"In order to remove the hazard switch it needs to be pushed from behind due to the strong retaining clips"

hth

4. Silva bullet

Silva bullet Member

Thanks for reply tcg it just seems stuck as hell it tool me a little while to prise open the piano finish trim with platic trim tools which I got to replace my broken mobile screen.
    Currently I have the lower dash off for a different job is this where I can get in from to the back of the hazard switch..
    Not the best pic it's from last week's mission of removing steering knuckle

Attached Files:

5. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro TDi

Take the radio out and you can push it out from behind.

6. Silva bullet

Silva bullet Member

Desertstorm thanks for your reply.
    That's how is it.
    I've been just pulling the switch itself to no avail..
    I think I'll need to get the metal pins to remove the radio as I've got symphony from factory..
    I will let you all know how I get on and take pics along the way..thank you..silva bullet

7. Silva bullet

Silva bullet Member

Hello everyone and as by magic my indicators are now working
    Yesterday I took off the trim around the hazard and then I couldn't pull the hazard switch out so from the advice given by our helpful soldiers I this morning ordered 4 radio pull out metal pins hoping to sort it once and for all when it arrived but it's mysteriously working.

Scratching my head on this one but hey ho one less job for tomorrow.
    On a different note I do have the airbag light on the dash and I remember when I was trying to correct the steering knuckle I accidentally with my elbow pressed the lilt button on my drivers side recaro so the backrest was fully down on the seat..
    Maybe I upset the connections under the seat..please do share if you had this problem before..thanks

8. Erikn89nl

Erikn89nl Well-Known Member

Maybe you knocked the relay around enough to get it working again. Used to happen on my old Peugeot, after 3 blinks the indicator got stuck. A good smack on the hazard switch got them going again :)

9. Silva bullet

Silva bullet Member

That's right I think the knocking got it working.
    The thing is that if I put back the trim around the switch then the indicators don't work.
    They only work if I leave the trim off..
    I will remove the relay as soon as I get my radio pull pins from eBay..