S3 8L Clutch Fubar'd!...

JCsS3

Reaction score
Hi Guys, was on the way to my GFs last night... had been driving at about 75% then came on to the back streets so was just poodling (25mph ish) and my clutch pretty much went without warning (went to change gear, pushed the clutch down hear a 'clunk' and it didnt come back up :()

Managed to start it in 1st and get it to my GFs, any idea what it could be? My first thoughts are that it's something to do with the hydraulic part of the clutch?

Never had any probs with the clutch, biting point was pretty low and never noticed any slipping etc!

Also any ideas as of costs for such a job (obviously depends whats gone wrong, but are the clutches/mechanisms hard to work on?

Also, lastly ;) anyone know of anywhere in the SE that might be good to take it to?

Cheers in advance guys!

JC:sob:

Maybe the clutch bearings but i dont know a great deal when it comes to clutch....Have you had the S3 reampped? Is it a standard clutch?

Maybe the clutch bearings but i dont know a great deal when it comes to clutch....Have you had the S3 reampped? Is it a standard clutch?

Yeah its been mapped by previous owner, pretty sure it's on a standard clutch too

Sounds to me like the clutch pedal has gone. Mine did this a few weeks ago exactly the same as yours on the way to see U2 at sheffield.

There is a small monkey metal tab on the pedal which is only spot welded onto the pedal and this snapped on mine, luckily it didnt damage the clutch cylinder, cost me £80 fitted at a local vag garage near me.

Common fault on them.

Sounds to me like the clutch pedal has gone. Mine did this a few weeks ago exactly the same as yours on the way to see U2 at sheffield.

There is a small monkey metal tab on the pedal which is only spot welded onto the pedal and this snapped on mine, luckily it didnt damage the clutch cylinder, cost me £80 fitted at a local vag garage near me.

Common fault on them.

Ah sweet!... Think i did notice the metal tab that you mean!.. Did sound like a kind of snapping noise. Will have to get someone Vag to check it out. Cheers Wibble!

Fingers crossed it is just that!

Sounds it.

Nice one:icon_thumright:, is it a hard job to do?.. Tempted to take it to a Seat garage opposite my work!

Pretty relieved if it is just that was thinking i'd need a whole new pump etc!

Nice one:icon_thumright:, is it a hard job to do?.. Tempted to take it to a Seat garage opposite my work!

Pretty relieved if it is just that was thinking i'd need a whole new pump etc!

Not happened to me yet. I think it should be faily easy on a ramp. As per above £80 fitted isnt too much so I guess doesnt take too long.

new clutch pedals about 20quid but its a bitch of a job, drivers underdash off and get ready to lose ya knuckles and break ya back :) haha.

Can you get it welded more securely before it goes, such a common problem I might see if I can get might sorted before/if it does go...

Can't be dealing with that hassle...

I hope it does turn out to be the pedal.

I have had a bill this week for £800 for new slave & master cylinder plus new clutch and a full 4 wheel allignment.

Just glad the flywheel was sound...

A* to Ed and the guys at APS for getting it all done within 2 days of asking.

Cheers,

Can you get it welded more securely before it goes, such a common problem I might see if I can get might sorted before/if it does go...

Can't be dealing with that hassle...

New clutch pedals are apparently more beefed up around the welded area, due to it being a common problem I think? Though I stand to be corrected.

I hope it does turn out to be the pedal.

I have had a bill this week for £800 for new slave & master cylinder plus new clutch and a full 4 wheel allignment.

Just glad the flywheel was sound...

A* to Ed and the guys at APS for getting it all done within 2 days of asking.

Cheers,

OUCH!... Pray it isn't all that shizzle, could be out of action for a while otherwise!...

Hopefully take it to my mechanic and see what he can do!... By the sounds of things it is the pedal... Anyway of tellling this is the case?.. Didn't really have a look last night as it was dark! Haha

Last edited:
Just to add that when the garage did mine they beefed up the welds a bit so hopefully it wont happen again, fingers crossed anyway.

New clutch pedals are apparently more beefed up around the welded area, due to it being a common problem I think? Though I stand to be corrected.

Cheers jojo, so it's just a case of buying the uprated part before/if mine goes...suppose if I don't bother and take a chance on it it'll go...lol

I had the same problem about a month ago, turned out the slave cylinder had failed, luckily it was done under warranty (despite being at 80k+, but under 3 years).

Happened to me too. Just had the car a few months (second hand). Dealer sorted it FOC.

Cheers guys, had a look at it on friday. Looks as though the metal tab has broken off, as have a couple of plastic bits attached to the pedal.

Thanks for all your help!:icon_thumright: