1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

S3 8L BAM Exhaust System Options

DCH Sep 28, 2019

1. DCH

DCH Registered User

As if by magic, its developed a puffing on idle. Its on 90k and may well be the original exhaust system. Not overly noisy, only once warmed up, but noticeable only on idle. There’s no loss of performance, still drives perfect and no in cabin smells. I’ve not investigated and got to the root of the problem yet, but by ear it seems to be more pronounced from offside front wheel well area than in the bay. Am I right to assume it’s either one of the manifold / turbo gaskets, dp or manifold? Anyway, I have been looking to upgrade the exhaust system over time so maybe times right to start picking up decent second hand. Anything that pops up in the usual places are down south, collection only , won’t courier to Aberdeen, or just too much of a risk of being stung. While I wait for something to come up more locally, what exactly should I be looking for ( including any new gasket nuts sensors etc) on top of the exhaust components and what are my best options

Many thanks
    DCH

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk

A 3"downpipe and either a sports cat or de-cat would be a good start. Pipewrex is a good make to keep a look out for if ur only looking 2nd hand. Gaskets and bolts just go to euro car parts or try the parts request on here.
    For the rest of the exhaust if ur not going chasing numbers then keep a eye out for millteck either resonated or non res depending on what you like best,or if in the future you will be wanting more power then maybe a 3" custom exhaust from cat back.
    Quiet a few options out there for exhaust system.

DCH likes this.
  4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

As above the Pipewerx downpipe and sports cat is probably the best you can get to replace the OE downpipe cat. You can get cheaper downpipe and cats but the cat is likely to be a cheap item that will struggle to pass an MOT after a year and the downpipe may require fettling to fit well. . If you do decide to fit something like a 3 inch downpipe I would strongly recommend upgrading the lower engine mount bush to reduce the amount of engine movement.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-S3-3-Exhaust-Down-Pipe-High-Flow-Sports-Cat/300894410655?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Audi...lex-Front-Engine-Mount-Dog-Bone/332362464003?

wahwaaaa and DCH like this.
  5. DCH

DCH Registered User

That’s all good Info, thank you hydro and desertstorm. I’ve got the yellow power flex dog bone engine mount in place

May have a deal on DP sports cat and milltek

Do I need to heat wrap?

DCH

6. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

No they don't need heat wrapping, OE stuff isn't heat wrapped.

7. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk

I wrapped my downpipe before it was fitted just because it was easy to do and might aswell help the temps as much as I can.