S3 8L 3" Exhaust

craigt1985

Reaction score
I've just sold my Milltek and i'm looking for a freer flowing, larger 3"/76mm cat back exhaust. I've currently been looking at the Zinram offering:
https://www.fahrzeugtechnik-zinram....ectPath=/Shops/61798191/Products/AGA_S3_8L_76

s3.jpg

Or the non res cat back version of this Fox exhaust:
https://www.fox-sportauspuff.de/sto..._1877_26_2361&xoid=t9epo6qh0vf2k9l6moo3jh4d97

au050097-008-p2.jpg

The Zinram offering looks exactly what I want, being a true 3" free flowing design. The Fox is only 2.75", the same as the Milltek I've just sold, but appears a much more free flowing design; but at £500 am i forking out for an exhaust that will still struggle if i go BT in the future? And at £600 posted from Germany for the Zinram offering, i'm thinking there must be a home grown alternative that someone has had good experience with?

Photos/Videos and recommendations are welcome!

Stick with 3” if you’re planning on going BT in the future. I have the Zinram on mine which works and sounds great. I’ve got a few vids of it on my insta if you’re interested in how it sounds, name’s in my sig below

Steve

I've just sold my Milltek and i'm looking for a freer flowing, larger 3"/76mm cat back exhaust. I've currently been looking at the Zinram offering:
https://www.fahrzeugtechnik-zinram....ectPath=/Shops/61798191/Products/AGA_S3_8L_76

s3.jpg

Or the non res cat back version of this Fox exhaust:
https://www.fox-sportauspuff.de/sto..._1877_26_2361&xoid=t9epo6qh0vf2k9l6moo3jh4d97

au050097-008-p2.jpg

The Zinram offering looks exactly what I want, being a true 3" free flowing design. The Fox is only 2.75", the same as the Milltek I've just sold, but appears a much more free flowing design; but at £500 am i forking out for an exhaust that will still struggle if i go BT in the future? And at £600 posted from Germany for the Zinram offering, i'm thinking there must be a home grown alternative that someone has had good experience with?

Photos/Videos and recommendations are welcome!

Yeah, german engineering exhaust is good. Stick with Zinram or Bull-X. Both of them good choice and they sounds great.
Zinram:

Bull-X:

Its up to you which one sounds better for you. They really good exhausts. Have fun with it.

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

I agree with getting the 3” Zinram, I’ve got the same... ready to be fitted. Amazing quality. Just waiting for my 3” downpipe, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with getting the 3” Zinram, I’ve got the same... ready to be fitted. Amazing quality. Just waiting for my 3” downpipe, etc.

Zinram downpipe?

No no Pipewerx Alex, Zinram downpipe will only fit a LHD car.

Yeah I keep seeing that but I think it's just assumed not to fit as it's German and they drive LHD cars. I've sent Zinram 2 or 3 emails looking for a definitive answer over the years but haven't had a response.

Was hoping you were playing guinea pig :)

Yeah I keep seeing that but I think it's just assumed not to fit as it's German and they drive LHD cars. I've sent Zinram 2 or 3 emails looking for a definitive answer over the years but haven't had a response.

They’re terrible at replying to emails. I’ve messaged them many times in the past in both English and German but they just don’t ever respond

Haha as nice as it looks, I don’t fancy buying it to try. Purely like Steve said, they don’t reply to an email regarding buying something.... can you imagine how difficult it would be sending something back?! Pipewerx is tried and tested

you can have locally made 3 inch exhausts made for much less than the price of the Zinram. But it does seem a great 'off the shelf' solution

Reactions: S3AMJ and Tj 0785
you can have locally made 3 inch exhausts made for much less than the price of the Zinram. But it does seem a great 'off the shelf' solution

That's what i'd assumed, but the local places around Plymouth seem to want to bend me over before wining and dining me. Was quoted £680 for a 3" stainless cat back from one company, just hoped there might be someone who's had good proven results from a particular place.

Pipewerx quoted me £450 for a 3” catback system when I spoke to them around 3-4 months ago. I bought my Zinram secondhand from a former ASN member.

Ah you lucky so and so, that would have been ideal! I guess i can keep shopping around, i'll shove a post up on here and facebook and see what comes up.

How have you found your Zinram sound and quality wise?

Ah you lucky so and so, that would have been ideal! I guess i can keep shopping around, i'll shove a post up on here and facebook and see what comes up.

How have you found your Zinram sound and quality wise?

I’ve yet to fit it bud.... but from what Steve’s sounds like, pretty dam good! He’s running a big turbo set up, so the sound may differ some what. I have a parts list I look out for, yes.... I check eBay every single day haha, I’m not sad, honest!

The Zinram was my best bargain buy this year. Keep your eyes peeled

Reactions: S3 Hilife
The Zinram was my best bargain buy this year. Keep your eyes peeled

Any s3 owners Best Buy is breakdown cover

Reactions: craigt1985, hydro s3, S3AMJ and 1 other person
Not so much break down but they have plenty of problems, but they are 20 year old modified cars at the end of the day and most would have been given a hard life. In 1st year of owning mine I’d spent close to 1k on repairs Not including services my r32 on other hand just needed servicing in a year n half

Thanks for the info. Hopefully getting one tomorrow night but a little weary as it has 140k on it.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully getting one tomorrow night but a little weary as it has 140k on it.

You’ll more than likely spend some Money on it in the first year of ownership, but that’s the same with any secondhand car. But don’t let that put you off, these cars are amazing.... there’s nothing you can’t fix, everything is well documented on here

Does it come with free breakdown cover haha. I wouldn’t be to worried by mileage I’d rather have a well looked after one with higher mileage than a dog rough one with low mileage. Get one with a good history, check all the breather pipes in engine bay as this most likely will need replacing as they go brittle and scan it for fault codes and you will most likely have the odd issue but still definitely worth owning

Reactions: S3AMJ
Also at that mileage I’d pull the dipstick and look for any signs of blow by like oil splatter or if dipstick rises when revving high. Developed low compression on 150k miles piston rings went

You’ll more than likely spend some Money on it in the first year of ownership, but that’s the same with any secondhand car. But don’t let that put you off, these cars are amazing.... there’s nothing you can’t fix, everything is well documented on here

I don’t mind having to spend money on it and know that buying a 15 year old car isn’t going to be trouble free. I just don’t want to be constantly forking out for big repairs etc.
I’ve always wanted an 8l S3.

Does it come with free breakdown cover haha. I wouldn’t be to worried by mileage I’d rather have a well looked after one with higher mileage than a dog rough one with low mileage. Get one with a good history, check all the breather pipes in engine bay as this most likely will need replacing as they go brittle and scan it for fault codes and you will most likely have the odd issue but still definitely worth owning

I have VCDS so will scan it when I view it. It says it has full service history 14 stamps, cambelt and water pump done etc. I’m quite confident working on cars and do what I can myself so changing a few things here an there won’t be an issue.

Also at that mileage I’d pull the dipstick and look for any signs of blow by like oil splatter or if dipstick rises when revving high. Developed low compression on 150k miles piston rings went

Thanks will check that too.

From browsing through the photo gallery it used to be owned by a member on here around 2007-2009 from what I’ve seen so far.

I will update tomorrow evening when I’ve hopefully bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgieS3 and S3AMJ
Went to see it this evening. I have to say I’m very pleasantly surprised at how good the condition of the car is. There’s literally nothing to fault it on apart from the door blades not being completely flush where the door opens.
I had a 4 hour round trip to get it but definitely worth it.
Time to add a few modern touches like Bluetooth etc and tomorrow I’ll fit my spacers.
Pictures to come....

Reactions: Stuart B and S3AMJ
Here’s a side by side comparison of the Milltek and Zinram catback systems for anyone interested.

6fb06e62e8395acad1bf138534670dc0.jpg

Reactions: craigt1985, superkarl and GeorgieS3
Cheers for that, interesting to see the difference in the two set ups. Got a friend local that is just decided to go alone and set up his own custom exhaust company. So should end up with something like the Zinram that'll do that job without costing a fortune..