S3 400+ mile range club

So this is what M3 50mph average speed limit does for you in an S3... Had a few trips up and back in the last week and set ACC at 53.5 and go to sleep...

Odometer was reset at last fill up (Shell V-Power). I guess I could've driven around it a bit to get to the "magic" 400 but I'm not that bothered!

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: Gordo77
I don't have the patience or will power to try this. The temptation for the odd burst if acceleration now and again is too hard to resist. That's why I bought an S3, among other reasons. Perhaps on a long constant motorway journey, I could do it.

I didn't try for it, just circumstances meant boring driving was the majority of the tank.

Just brimmed mine after a 348 mile round trip (160miles of motorways & A roads) which also included 7x 4 mile short journeys & got my best consumption figures yet of 38 mpg. Range on refill showed 435

I usually get 400-410 on the screen when filling up but tend to top up around the 50 mile left mark. It's usually working out as 350-380 if you include the 50 left in ...

Side note .... I'm finding telco momentum fuel to be the most fuel efficient juice, followed by BP ultimate, shell so far has been the worst performer, but that was in the early days when everything was still tight

I filled up all the way yesterday (I am going to Farnborough today) and the range was 410 miles what do i win? I have a facelift manual S3 by the way. currently reading 34.5 MPG average.

Reactions: ChivsBang and Gordo77
I filled up all the way yesterday (I am going to Farnborough today) and the range was 410 miles what do i win? I have a facelift manual S3 by the way. currently reading 34.5 MPG average.

That's pretty impressive, considering the engine is brand new. :)

Reactions: ChivsBang

I'm hoping for the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty impressive, considering the engine is brand new. :)

New but not brand new any more, I have done 1183 miles since picking it up exactly a month ago :) I love driving it so much I have used it all the time which includes taking the family out at the weekends (something which is normally left to my wife's Golf).

Most of the time I am going to work, which is either 11 miles if i am going to the Team Valley or 28 miles if I am going to the office in the Silverlink, the almost half of the silverlink journey is national speed limit or 50 MPH, so that is better for the MPG, and I am lucky to have very flexible working hours, so I can leave at 9:45 most mornings and be on my way home at about 4:00 so I rarely see anything that I would classify as traffic.

Much to my eternal shame and embarrassment I got banned last year for 45 days, when i was caught speeding on the A1, it had a massive knock on effect and put my job/marriage in jeopardy, I am sure I'll have the full weight of the law bearing down on me if i do this again, not to mention losing my job/family so to me it just doesn't seem worth putting my foot down to excess.

<edit>

Should i have gotten another diesel? probably. I didn't because although i don't use the S3 to its full potential, it's still a fantastic looking/driving car and it has 4 exhausts...

Probably been said earlier in this thread but take the range with a pinch of salt.

If I broke 300 miles for a tank of fuel under normal driving I'd check that I hadn't lost a couple of spark plugs !!

Last edited:
Probably been said earlier in this thread but take the range with a pinch of salt.

If a broke 300 miles for a tank of fuel under normal driving I'd check that I hadn't lost a couple of spark plugs !!

That's the S3 COD model you are thinking of! :D

New but not brand new any more, I have done 1183 miles since picking it up exactly a month ago :) I love driving it so much I have used it all the time which includes taking the family out at the weekends (something which is normally left to my wife's Golf).

Most of the time I am going to work, which is either 11 miles if i am going to the Team Valley or 28 miles if I am going to the office in the Silverlink, the almost half of the silverlink journey is national speed limit or 50 MPH, so that is better for the MPG, and I am lucky to have very flexible working hours, so I can leave at 9:45 most mornings and be on my way home at about 4:00 so I rarely see anything that I would classify as traffic.

Much to my eternal shame and embarrassment I got banned last year for 45 days, when i was caught speeding on the A1, it had a massive knock on effect and put my job/marriage in jeopardy, I am sure I'll have the full weight of the law bearing down on me if i do this again, not to mention losing my job/family so to me it just doesn't seem worth putting my foot down to excess.

<edit>

Should i have gotten another diesel? probably. I didn't because although i don't use the S3 to its full potential, it's still a fantastic looking/driving car and it has 4 exhausts...

That's quite a story about the 45 day ban. Nothing to be embarrassed about, you're certainly not the first that's happened to, but as you say its the knock-on personal side of things that are badly affected.

Reactions: ChivsBang and Rob2k68

Why would being caught speeding make you lose your family if you don't mind me asking?

Why would being caught speeding make you lose your family if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all, I wouldn't lose them per say, but I would definitely be looking at a divorce (my better half does not make idle threats). Which would mean i wouldn't be able to see my kids as much etc.. The directors of the company I work for, although fantastic employers have told me under no uncertain terms I get banned again (as the 45 days were a massive headache for them, I am a senior consultant and as such i am supposedly in a position of responsibility) I'll find myself looking for another job, and rightly so. Suffice to say i have calmed right down when i drive.

That being said, I dont preach to anyone about it, I'll never tell anyone else they can or cant do something, it's personal choice.

Reactions: lou15p, Gordo77 and ChivsBang