S3 400 mile club

I get between 230 and 280.... I must be doing it wrong

Reactions: Joxh
I get between 230 and 280.... I must be doing it wrong
Same :tearsofjoy: I get around 22-25mpg on my way to work 4 miles in rush hour traffic. Best MPG I’ve ever had is 36mpg on a 300 mile journey

I think daily commute matters a lot, I'd consistently get 390+ range on my S3 but a lot of carriageway/motorway drives.
In fact got better MPG than that in my S5 going from Cambridge to North London and back. If I posted a pic people would say "feather foot" but in fact just cruising at 70/75mph and pre empting traffic make it pretty easy.

Cause of that sort of commute my long term average on the S3 was around 35mpg.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Upload 2020 3 11 18 33 24

well thought I revive an old thread.
My commute has gone from a few miles each way to 60-70 miles each way.
Managed to squeeze 400+ miles out a tank. Record breaking for me considering the last tank it barely did 250. S3 can be fairly economical when cruising in traffic. There was even 1 day I managed 40mpg. Main thing it was fast enough to get past some slow cars on the B roads.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Adam14
View attachment 198992
Managed to squeeze 400+ miles out a tank. Record breaking for me considering the last tank it barely did 250. S3 can be fairly economical when cruising in traffic. There was even 1 day I managed 40mpg. Main thing it was fast enough to get past some slow cars on the B roads.

I still haven't beat my best of 409.6 with ten miles of range left i also managed 43.2 mpg on that drive .
I will be looking to beat it this summer with a drive from Manchester to Goodwood for the festival of speed and back again :yes:

Reactions: AlS3BE
I still haven't beat my best of 409.6 with ten miles of range left i also managed 43.2 mpg on that drive .
I will be looking to beat it this summer with a drive from Manchester to Goodwood for the festival of speed and back again :yes:
That’s not far off my old 3.0 tdi a6

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Festival speed and economic drive is surely an oxymoron?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnM100, AlS3BE and Mr Freeze
Just joined the 400 mile club this weekend in my pfl sb avg 38.5mpg on a trip from Manchester to Maidstone

On a journey where I'd normally get close to 40mpgs I managed just 21 last night. I think that's my lowest ever recorded mpg for a trip over 5 miles.

View attachment 198992

Holy sh*t! 5miles till you run out! Living life on the edge there!

I've had the same in my S3 the shell I normally go to didn't have any v power that day so I had to carefully drive a few miles to the next one

Reactions: AlS3BE and Ormesome

remember my old golf said zero and it kept going for 20+ miles till I chickened out and filled it.
I normally won’t let it run that low but I was in an area I wasn’t familiar with so waited till I got close to my local Tesco to get some momentum.
Only squeezed 51 litres in so it must still have some left. A3/s3 has 55 l tank? Sure I read that somewhere. Such an small tank for something that can be really thirsty.
One of the things I miss on my 272 a6. Full tank could get me 6-700 miles + depending on my commute sometimes close to 800 but filling it was close £100

Reactions: pburv and Ormesome
remember my old golf said zero and it kept going for 20+ miles till I chickened out and filled it.
I normally won’t let it run that low but I was in an area I wasn’t familiar with so waited till I got close to my local Tesco to get some momentum.
Only squeezed 51 litres in so it must still have some left. A3/s3 has 55 l tank? Sure I read that somewhere. Such an small tank for something that can be really thirsty.
One of the things I miss on my 272 a6. Full tank could get me 6-700 miles + depending on my commute sometimes close to 800 but filling it was close £100

Based on refilling from various stages of empty, and assuming exactly a 55 litre tank, there is still between 2 and 2.5 litres left in the tank when miles to go says 0.

I managed to get 425 miles in the S3 on going from the east midlands to Edinburgh! it can be done!

my average since I’ve had the car has been around 250(mainly short drives) and the worse was less than 180.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, JohnM100, Jcbmally and 1 other person
my average since I’ve had the car has been around 250(mainly short drives) and the worse was less than 180.
Uuff that really bad 180 driving fast n?

Never never ever will l join 400 miles club from a tank of fuel....best l have gotten is around 300 on my 5 days a week commute....defo my car has told me av gotten over 40 mpg on my 26 mile commute home...but that journey is mostly all down hill so a lot of coasting in efficiency mode is done journey starts at around 320 ft above sea level.....a quarter of the journey rises to 870 ft......then the rest of the commute is all down hill to just above sea level.....then again who gives a ****

Reactions: Jcbmally, AlS3BE and pburv
View attachment 198992

A "G String" meter....lol

Reactions: Potterswheel, AlS3BE and pburv
Never never ever will l join 400 miles club from a tank of fuel....best l have gotten is around 300 on my 5 days a week commute....defo my car has told me av gotten over 40 mpg on my 26 mile commute home...but that journey is mostly all down hill so a lot of coasting in efficiency mode is done journey starts at around 320 ft above sea level.....a quarter of the journey rises to 870 ft......then the rest of the commute is all down hill to just above sea level.....then again who gives a ****
You driving a boat mate?....Never bothered me what mpg my car does to be honest. My car just reaches running temp by the time I arrive at work..heats up quicker if I have a heavy foot. haha 'kudos' to those who achieve 400 miles per tank though.:yes:

Reactions: Potterswheel, Jcbmally and AlS3BE
Travelled from Leeds to Chertsey and back. Averaged 42.9 mpg down and 46.5 mpg back home. This was with an accident on M1 where I had to take a detour which dropped my mpg from 48 mpg. Filled up this morning and had a range of 455 miles. This is in a pre facelift S3 saloon too! Surprisingly economical.

Attachments

• 20201106_065806.jpg
    20201106_065806.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 151
So, with the current crisis (not a fuel crisis - more of a fuel buyer crisis), I had to manage a few long runs:
IMG 5589 t

IMG 5620 t

Beat this ;)

20210708-092933.jpg

2018 S3 Sportback S-Tronic 310 running a remap and super unleaded. Not even in Economy - just a steady cruise controlled 65mph run. I’ve had higher since, but think it’ll drop now that the season is changing.

Reactions: JohnM100, toooldforboyracing and Mr Freeze
Beat this ;)

20210708-092933.jpg

2018 S3 Sportback S-Tronic 310 running a remap and super unleaded. Not even in Economy - just a steady cruise controlled 65mph run. I’ve had higher since, but think it’ll drop now that the season is changing.
Great economy for a performance car
My best is 47.3 Mpg in comfort from Manchester to Dorset

Beat this ;)

20210708-092933.jpg

Impressive as partial tank run but not full tank brim to brim on multiple starts with actual mileage achieved. If we are talking singe run combined with projected range then that’s a different story and needs to take in to account real vs calculated mpg. The FL S3 is accurate to +/- 2 % but previous cars needed an adjustment in VCDS to get calculated mpg to match actuals.

What’s the story with the engine management light?

What amazes me about the S3 is that it can do 40mpg+ when cruising but can ruin that very quickly with a spirited but legal blast. A random bloke asked me a while ago about mpg and my response was that it depends how it’s driven: 26-40mpg are both realistic. The best I ever got out of my 8L 1.8T years go was 40 mpg.

Last edited:
Brim-to-brim on that journey with return leg was 48mpg. Admittedly in perfect conditions - early post-lockdown pandemic traffic, 20degC etc. I do those sorts of journeys a lot on business, with lots of different cars. It’s impressive that the FL S3 is about 20% more efficient than Mk5 Golf GTI era 2.0Ts, probably due to the 7 speed DSG.

The EML is just one of those lights you get when the ignition is on, but engine is off.

Reactions: Adam14 and JohnM100
These cars can be amazing when you want them to be economical. My daughter is not even averaging 45 long term in her 1 litre seat. I think she might be a bit heavy footed since i have had over 60 out of it, but still.

After 2 years of lockdown/covid and only doing short journeys there’s no way I can get 400miles out a tank. Lucky if I see 300 miles now.
last long trip was about 150 miles each way, mainly motorways/dual carriageway and that was a full tank gone. It probably didn’t help with 3 bikes on the roof screwing with the aerodynamics. Only saw 30mpg holding a steady 70 on cruise control.

I feel your pain.

Curiously the open pano roof dropped 3-4mpg - its more economical to use aircon instead.

Mr Freeze - look forward to seeing the numbers for your Goodwood trip.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
I feel your pain.

Curiously the open pano roof dropped 3-4mpg - its more economical to use aircon instead.

Mr Freeze - look forward to seeing the numbers for your Goodwood trip.
Air con I found drops around 4mpg on long runs for me. Can’t win.
roof bars with bikes drops anything from 5-15mpg depending on speed.
I wonder if it’s any better if the bikes are carried from the rear on a tow bar?

Reactions: Deleted member 156130
Well burger me.....

IMG 7022 t

Fantastic for a long motorway run and no dawdling plus ancillary journeys - aircon on most of the way too.

The clench moment was paying for the fill-up up after this......
Will blow out any cobwebs with the next tank.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Boydie, Mr Freeze, AlS3BE and 1 other person
Well burger me.....

View attachment 256095

Fantastic for a long motorway run and no dawdling plus ancillary journeys - aircon on most of the way too.

I'am setting off to Goodwood fos from Manchester at so I will report back what I get from around trip

400+ is very impressive. Can't remember if I have achieved that over the last 5 years, maybe once :S

Currently at Stage 3+ and getting anywhere between 300-340 miles per tank. Sitting on 270 miles to this tank with 2 bars left.... I am guessing 320 miles :(

Well burger me.....

View attachment 256095

I got 409 miles with 35 miles of range to use on our trip to Goodwood and back but hit a lot of traffic on the motorway just before Birmingham
so played it safe and put more fuel in as I didn't want to get caught out . Better luck next time I guess :)

Reactions: JohnM100
357miles last tank with 2 120 trips steady at 70mph on the cruise control as there was loads of cameras and average speed cameras.
sounds like the roads in England are a lot flatter than Scotland :wink:
just spent £100 filling s3 and there was still 30 miles range left

Just got 309 miles before light came on which is best its been in a while
That’s pretty good considering yours is tuned.
mine still factory and been averaging since covid started 250-300 doing school runs and groceries.

Reactions: Boydie
Yeah I can't overly complain with it being Stage 3 and daily driven - think I pulled into petrol station last night with 340 miles on the clocks