S3 400 mile club

For a bet to break 400 on a single tank. On target for 400 easily, filled up now 410. Done in eco with a lot of coasting. Won't be repeating, back to dynamic.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
Reactions: AL_B
Jumping in the 400 mile club for the first time today. a good 50 miles of this tank I had it in dynamic. Impressive.

Attachments

• 19027C64-9268-420F-8665-69FA07C74EF5.jpeg
    19027C64-9268-420F-8665-69FA07C74EF5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 271
Damn, there was me thinking I’d come on here having trumped the lot of you but my record has been ruined already.

This was from back in August after a 60mph trek home from AITP, a good 350 mile trip mostly at 60-65. I was so excited when I saw 410.....

Nope I didn’t take the picture, I’ve got about 5 other blurry versions with the girlfriend struggling to take them with my hands on the wheel from the other side of the car.

4be811b2fcf75149bdb0fe29102c53e9.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Djs3saloon
My S3 straight from collection in London to home in Hamilton Scotland, easily done well over 400 miles on a full to the brim tank of super unleaded this same journey couldn't have been done with my pre face lift S3

My S3 is around 6 weeks old, and now has circa. 2,500 miles on the clock, with recent fill-ups always showing >400 miles on the MMI. When I first collected the car, it always showed 385 miles, but now shows 410 miles :)

Will try and grab a piccie sometime, as I know that otherwise it did not happen :p .....however, today I filled up prior to my 85 mile journey to Client's office, and all 8 bars were still intact on reaching client's car park! All in all, this is excellent mpg, from a potent car - my previous 3.0 V6 diesel usually clocked around 44mpg on the same journey, the MMI on the S3 stated 38.9mpg this morning.

I can get around the 250-270 miles per full tank but I have achieved 180 at times, boy was that fun :grinning:

Reactions: Damo S and Djs3saloon
My usual fill ups come after around 270-280 miles.

Reactions: Djs3saloon
I put mine into dynamic mode and the computer into constant fuel consumption read out my lord 4mpg, what a blast

Best I've got so far is 314 miles, I track my fuel on fuelly.com - but 400+ miles! How!?

I got 37mpg so far on a 3h 30m~ journey and thought that was amazing...a couple of motorways and then single carriageway A roads. What kind of journey (speedwise) gets to 400 miles? I guess like a steady 50/60 mph?

I am guilty of driving around in efficiency mode for my commute though to be honest, can often coast down the road... makes it a bit more special though at least when I'm out of town and put it into individual/dynamic ;)

It's quite amazing to see you guys hitting 400 miles mark.

I'm having a dilemma whether to go for S3 or 184TDIQ Black Edition.

I travel 100 miles daily so 500 miles weekly but car sharing at the moment so could save half on fuel per month.

My heart is on S3 but my head is telling me 184TDIQ.

If I'm getting 40mpg then it's brilliant as 85% miles in a year is on motorway.

What do you say guys??

I would say 40 mpg is the exception.
Only time I've had that in the S3 was a 3.5 hour drive up the A9 at a constant / steady 60 or 70 mph most of which is average speed cameras and cruise control.

Reactions: Broonie22 and Tom.H
Only time I've had that in the S3 was a 3.5 hour drive up the A9 at a constant / steady 60 or 70 mph most of which is average speed cameras and cruise control.

Exactly the same here. Every time I go along the A9 I see around 40mpg. At least there is one advantage to those annoying speed cameras!

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Thanks, realistically if I'm travelling on a motorway for an hour would 35mpg be achievable?

Yep easy.
My 25k average is 32.9mpg in a manual S3 with virtually no stop start commuting driving. A run on an A road or M way can easily get me 40mpg+ and the last run into town (circa 25miles) got me 52mpg, a personal best. The route does drop maybe 350m in altitude over the distance but every so often I like a bit of extreme economy planning versus the reasonably frequent blat back from my almost weekly visit to the airport..........lucky to get 20mpg.
If you use a turbo engine to its potential, whatever the fuel, you will not get great economy.

Yep easy.
My 25k average is 32.9mpg in a manual S3 with virtually no stop start commuting driving. A run on an A road or M way can easily get me 40mpg+ and the last run into town (circa 25miles) got me 52mpg, a personal best. The route does drop maybe 350m in altitude over the distance but every so often I like a bit of extreme economy planning versus the reasonably frequent blat back from my almost weekly visit to the airport..........lucky to get 20mpg.
If you use a turbo engine to its potential, whatever the fuel, you will not get great economy.
Yep easy.

Thanks, Audi S3 it is! Will ask the dealer to change from TDIQ Black Edition to S3.

Always wanted S3..

Reactions: Audi Bairn, deanshaw24 and rvtb101
Thanks, Audi S3 it is! Will ask the dealer to change from TDIQ Black Edition to S3.

Always wanted S3..
Good choice, a 184 Quattro won’t be much better on fuel. Mayby 10mpg at a push! But diesels more expensive...

It's quite amazing to see you guys hitting 400 miles mark.

I'm having a dilemma whether to go for S3 or 184TDIQ Black Edition.

I travel 100 miles daily so 500 miles weekly but car sharing at the moment so could save half on fuel per month.

My heart is on S3 but my head is telling me 184TDIQ.

If I'm getting 40mpg then it's brilliant as 85% miles in a year is on motorway.

What do you say guys??

I’ve had my S3 since Feb and just hit 12k miles, overall average is 35.8mpg and like you circa 85% motorway driving at 3rd lane speeds majority of the time.

On the motorway I tend to drive in individual which is pretty much auto expect engine noise and Quattro.

I came from the 184 tdi ultra TT, that was FWD manual and my average over the same commute was 52mpg, so a significant drop but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I’ve had my S3 since Feb and just hit 12k miles, overall average is 35.8mpg and like you circa 85% motorway driving at 3rd lane speeds majority of the time.

On the motorway I tend to drive in individual which is pretty much auto expect engine noise and Quattro.

I came from the 184 tdi ultra TT, that was FWD manual and my average over the same commute was 52mpg, so a significant drop but not as bad as I thought it would be.
That tt would have been 150kg lighter and not as much transmission loss than the 184 a3 4x4. I’d be surprised if he sees over 45mpg average

That tt would have been 150kg lighter and not as much transmission loss than the 184 a3 4x4. I’d be surprised if he sees over 45mpg average
150kg, wow I didn’t realise that there would be such a weight difference.

150kg, wow I didn’t realise that there would be such a weight difference.
Yeah, Quattro is 100kg on its own, if I’m honest I think it mayby more like 200kg as the TT FWD is around 1250kg and the s3 is 1450kg

Reactions: TYb
managed it once on a return 200 mile motorway run...never been repeated!

Yeah, Quattro is 100kg on its own, if I’m honest I think it mayby more like 200kg as the TT FWD is around 1250kg and the s3 is 1450kg
That’s a huge difference, no wonder the TT felt so much sharper handling wise, even in FWD form.

Thanks, would it be possible I could get 400 miles a tank weekly if 100 miles on motorway daily?

Thanks, would it be possible I could get 400 miles a tank weekly if 100 miles on motorway daily?[/QUOTE

You would be close, I tend to get 380 - 400 if not doing any stop start town driving. A heavy foot soon knocks that down though.

For the performance it’s very economical, probably worth driving a tdi and S3 back to back then see if the additional cost is worth it.

Consider insurance as well, the s3 will be significantly more

Thanks, would it be possible I could get 400 miles a tank weekly if 100 miles on motorway daily?

Based on my commute, which isn't exactly the same as yours, I get 300 - 320 miles with about 50 left on the range.
I'd be hard pushed to get much more (I don't and refuse to use Efficiency mode now).

Based on my commute, which isn't exactly the same as yours, I get 300 - 320 miles with about 50 left on the range.
I'd be hard pushed to get much more (I don't and refuse to use Efficiency mode now).

Think I had about 230 out of mine

Resurrecting this old thread as I noticed this today when filling up after a couple of M25 variable speed limit round trips of 80 miles to Heathrow and and round trip to Birmingham up the M1 and M6 with lots of active variable speed limit stretches including the normally fast section of the M6 close to the M1
422.9 then.......
IMG 0856

22 miles later.....

IMG 0857

447.1 miles from a tank

Reactions: Baldyone, Jassyo06, Mark_86 and 1 other person
Lots of ‘400 mile club’ type threads but I’ll leave this here.....
IMG 2098

Long runs and some motorway variable speed limits helped.

Yes, I know I need to clean my dash - thats a job for the weekend.

In hot weather I can get up to 37mpg (displayed) on an 8 mile commute if there is no opportunity to use the right foot and over 40mpg on a 25 mile trip to see mother in law with long stretches of 50mph roads with ave speed cameras.
I don't believe the car is returning that economy, long term average shows 32 but when I've done brim-brim calculations it usually has returned below 30.

Got 409.6 miles out of a full tank in the S3 with 10 mile range left pretty happy with that :yes:

Since the remap I've been booting my car a bit more (because its very addictive) but still getting around 360 or so from a tank.

Since the remap I've been booting my car a bit more (because its very addictive) but still getting around 360 or so from a tank.
That's very good, my car shows that after a full tank of V-Power and I'm in economy a lot of the time lol

tbh Im driving at the speed limit most of the time because there isnt any other choice. I found economy mode didnt make any difference to fuel consumption if driving sedately. Perhaps a tiny bit only because the cruise control takes forever to get back to the previous set speed rather than booting it a little every time.

Reactions: Adam14
I managed 43.3 mpg on a 140 mile run last week. After 100 miles the computer still said I had a range of 415 miles. That was country lane and motorway driving at normal traffic speeds with air con on and 4 adults and 50kg of luggage. In individual mode with steering and exhaust dynamic and Quattro and gearbox auto

Reactions: Damo S
Long out and return journey a few days ago. Littered with average cameras and traffic so not the most exciting but worked wonders for economy metrics. With 3 bars still on the fuel gauge and estimated rage of 100 miles, the only question is how far beyond 400 I'll get.
S3 MPG 202001

Reactions: Damo S and HertS3