S3 (2001) CD changer ERR1

sanj_c

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody has come across an error displaying on the dash for the CD changer as ERR1?? I googled it and the results come out to be faulty head or laser head out of alignment?

Was wondering if there was an easy fix rather than chomping out for a replacement?

Is it an in dash cd changer, or one for the boot??

Does it happen on every slot or just one in particular?

This started to happen to my boot changer more and more often until eventually it wouldnt play any discs, tried cleaning the lens with those kits many times but no luck.

Bought one second hand for less thant 60 notes and its still going strong 2 years later!

As said if its a one off then no big deal, but if its happening constantly you could try buying a lens cleaning kit.

If that doesn't work then I'd just buy a replacement.

I found the lens cleaners are pretty feeble, just very soft brushes, they aren't vigorous enough for an incar changer. Bst bet is to remove the cover and get a cotton bud and some lighter fluid (or nail varnish remover) and give the lens a really good clean.
Home audio tends to just get a dusty lens, but a car changer gets real grime and needs a solvent to get it clean.

Hi guys - Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated - Just been a little busy so I haven't had a chance to reply.

Nil - Its the standard boot changer and it happens on every slot.

Bhavin - I have thought about buying a second hand one. Are these changers loaded with their own cd changer code by any chance?

Andy - I think I will try and remove the changer and open it up? Is this a fairly straight forward thing to do?

Cheers

No there isn't a code for the changers, they're just a straight swap.

I'd try what AndyMac posted and try and clean the lense by taking it apart before buying a second hand one. The changer itself just bolts out from the metal frame it site in as well as a connector plug which needs to be unplugged, and then I'm sure it'll be quite straight forward to open it up.

Good luck with it!

Took, the changer apart - Was quite fiddly as the laser isn't fully exposed so I had shuff loads of cotton/wool buds in the gap with some spirit on there. It did the trick and the changer is now playing cd's :)

If your needing a changer i may be selling or even possibly giving away mine as im going to for an aftermarket headunit