S3 2001 AMK NEW HEAD REQUIRED advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjacks84

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to site and have a pretty limited knowledge of engines but I recently (6 weeks ago) bought an s3 and since then I have had major problems - the main one being a massively cracked head - beyond repair. So, I'm after a new head. My main question is which heads will fit on with minimal work? Mechanic is doing work for me so want to keeps costs as low as possible.
I'm having trouble finding an AMK head but understand that APY or BAM should fit, anyone know what extra work will be involved fitting either of these.
Also, is there anything else (common issues) that we should check while the head is off? I have a forge dump valve which I've heard are a bit of nuisance and I'd be better off with a TT recirc valve or similar?

Any help massively appreciated!

longitudinal will fit too.

Ideally stick with a small port one though so the inlet manifold lines up correctly.

Some heads have SAI ports which might need blocked off if your car doesnt have it.

Should ex[and on SK's reply with the caveat's... all 20v turbo heads are interchangable but the differences to watch out for include cam chain tensioners, SAI ports, large port/small port and to a degree valve train...

Straight swap for an AMK is a BAM... earlier heads from APY's etc will require cam chain tensioners to be swapped and SAI port to be blocked

AGU/AEB and certain ADR are large port heads... they are also non VVT tensioners

All K04 heads have shims under the exhaust valve springs... 20v turbo valves can differ in spring installed height altering the tension of the springs so stick to using a 'set' rather than mix/match unless you check they are the same... (collet grooves are different heights on stem)

You are also not limited to Audi's... look at SEAT's, VW's and Skoda's... they all use stuff from the same parts bin...

AMK head may cost artificially more as its for an S3... but its technically the same as a VW Golf's AUM head which will be more readily available and cheaper

<tuffty/>

I've read that AMKs don't have SAI so that's have to be done. APY and BAM are both large port?

Thanks <tuffty/> Ideally I'll be buying it with valves, cams etc already fitted.
So a golf AUM would go straight on with no additional parts?

Thanks <tuffty/> Ideally I'll be buying it with valves, cams etc already fitted.
So a golf AUM would go straight on with no additional parts?

Fairly sure AUM golf has SAI so you just need a blanking plate for that... AUM is VVT and small port so thats all fine

<tuffty/>

Thanks for your help guys, will see what I can find

I have a complete AMK head in perfect condition for sale. No need to swap anything over its all there.

Want rid of it as it is taking up space in my garage so it is available cheap.

PM me if interested :)

Reactions: tommyturbo
Lets not turn this into a classifieds thread please... anyone that has something to offer please PM directly....

Cheers

<tuffty/>

Status
Not open for further replies.