S3/2.0TFSI Weird Revving Problem

Sorry to hear this Staz you have had a very poor service. Did they give any indication as to why they think it is the ECU?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Staz you have had a very poor service. Did give any indication as to why they think it is the ECU?

Nope, the girl just read it off of the screen to me. That's pretty much all it said. I'm assuming they want to wipe the remap and then the clutch would stop slipping!

Mine started doing *exactly* that in chipped mode. Later on (after ~10k km without doing anything about it) it started doing it in stock mode too.
It's more than likely your DMF. When mine was pulled out (suspecting clutch), the clutch was okay, the DMF was stuffed. There have been plenty of threads and users posting the same thing. Whilst I had my clutch and DMF replaced privately (Audi service said it was clutch, which is wear and tear, so no warranty), the Audi service centre I switched to later told me that in retrospect (and after seeing the DMF), it would have been covered under warranty as DMF issues are warranted but clutch isn't.
If you *really* want to make it slip in stock mode so they do something about it, do a couple of hard launches and I'm sure you'll make the DMF let go with the less torque on offer.

The other thing which seems to accentuate it more quickly is to fill your car with some heavy mates, get on a long straight road in 6th gear, and from low RPM's gun it as this will put the maximum strain on the system and help you determine whether it is clutch / DMF etc...

Problem I have with all this is none of it is cheap to fix, well over a grand for a full DMF/clutch replacement.

My biggest concern with the S3 is that too little attention was given to upgrading OEM factory fit parts to an acceptable standard above the 2.0T version, so most things feel about at their limits. When you do some very basic modifications you soon find this out.

Mine started doing *exactly* that in chipped mode. Later on (after ~10k km without doing anything about it) it started doing it in stock mode too.
It's more than likely your DMF. When mine was pulled out (suspecting clutch), the clutch was okay, the DMF was stuffed. There have been plenty of threads and users posting the same thing. Whilst I had my clutch and DMF replaced privately (Audi service said it was clutch, which is wear and tear, so no warranty), the Audi service centre I switched to later told me that in retrospect (and after seeing the DMF), it would have been covered under warranty as DMF issues are warranted but clutch isn't.
If you *really* want to make it slip in stock mode so they do something about it, do a couple of hard launches and I'm sure you'll make the DMF let go with the less torque on offer.

Identical situation to mine with a previous REVOd Golf.

Except I had the car recovered to the local VW dealer and they `finished` the work under warranty.
Cost to me was £100 in labour for the local inependant to pull the Gearbox and diagnose the stuffed DMF + £50 recovery.
The car was delivered to VW with the gearbox and bits in the boot.

VW even replaced the `out of warranty` clutch asembly as it had suffered consequential damge due to slippage caused by the ruined DMF.

Makes you wonder how many clutches are diagnosed as being at fault and charged to the customer as a non warranty part, when in fact it was the DMF, which is a warranty item. Mmmm....

This whole clutch slippage issue on 20TFSI baffles me, Ive never come across intermitent slippage before. And in my considerable 20 odd car ownership experience (many old nails) when a cluch slips, its knackered!! And gets worse very quickly!!

Good luck getting it sorted Staz.

And as cooni & Warren said, these clutches/DMFs are far too marginal for a high end hot hatch, economies of scale gone bad (for the consumer) IMO....

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
That's sounding like the best option Paul.

Warren can you recommend a good garage in this area?

Hi Leon, sorry to hear you're still having problems (not been on here for a good while but remember you posting about this a while back). You could consider giving Ed at APS a call. It's not local to here but it's Bedofrd way that you go back to regularly isn't? That's not that far from APS and the service and knowledge of the guys there was excellent when I went and is also recommended by a lot of other Audi drivers.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I'm putting that plan on hold right now. I actually sent an email to our friend Jeremy Hicks to express my displeasure and I got a call back today from his assistant telling me they were going to investigate my problem. I'm going to send an update email this evening as I understand things a little clearer now thanks to Paul's post.

I can understand it if they refuse to cover a part under warranty but to not even carry out any proper diagnosis on my car is completely wrong.

Hmmm, I guess Storm Developments are your best bet really for really local service. Dialynx is a bit of a trek, as is AmD.

Best of luck getting it sorted, let JH know that you're not alone in this as it took 3 different dealers and 3 weeks (150 miles travelled) for them to finally admit my car had clutch related issues.

Ok I've had a bit of a breakthrough off the back of my email to Jeremy Hicks. I got a call today from my friend at Reading Audi and Audi UK have authorised them to look at my DMF :icon_thumright: Just waiting for a call to book it in now.

If it's the DMF then I'm assuming since they're going to look at it they'll also cover it under warranty. If it is in fact the clutch and they refuse to cover it then I can understand that and I'll pay up. They could have done that 4 weeks ago with the same results though.

A bit of a belated update to this... took the S3 into Reading Audi last week and they found that the DMF had a "bit of play" so they replaced that and offered to replace the clutch at my cost. I said no and they replaced it anyway all under warranty.

For those that don't want to read all of the above basically the problem lies in the fact that Audi don't give clear guidance to what is covered under warranty when a car is modified. A DMF is covered normally but the guys in this thread have shown that Audi will replace it still on a modded car. This means that you can end up, depending on the dealer, taking the car in only to be told that they want to reflash the ECU thereby removing the map and hiding the problem. As far as I'm concerned, that is not a correct answer to the problem.

I'm going to fire off another email at some point to try and get it looked into. I drove around for 2 months with a faulty DMF for no good reason other than poor diagnostics and warranty uncertainties. Not the sort of service I expect.

At last mate. Took a long time to get sorted but at least its fixed now.

I have Revo stage1 on my car and the other night i was doing bout 70 in 6th gear and I put my foot down and it did the exact same thing as in staz's video, revs battled and dropped twice and then it sorted itself out. Then about 2days later was in 3rd wen i put my foot down and the same thing happened.

So i decided to take the software off and drive it for a couple of days and see what happened. So far the problem has not happened again.

I've only done about 15000miles and my car is a 2007 build.

At last mate. Took a long time to get sorted but at least its fixed now.

It is, but only for another 20k miles or so I guess! Are you coming up to Bedford on the 2nd July buddy? :racer:

I have Revo stage1 on my car and the other night i was doing bout 70 in 6th gear and I put my foot down and it did the exact same thing as in staz's video, revs battled and dropped twice and then it sorted itself out. Then about 2days later was in 3rd wen i put my foot down and the same thing happened.

So i decided to take the software off and drive it for a couple of days and see what happened. So far the problem has not happened again.

I've only done about 15000miles and my car is a 2007 build.

Is it in warranty mate?

You don't really have any choice but to book it in, with the Revo on, and let them investigate. They cannot do any work without replicating the fault as it's part of their diagnostics process laid down by Audi. Once they confirm the fault then they have to consult Audi to find out if further work can be carried out under warranty. After that it seems to depend on which dealership you go to.

Did Audi know that you had software on Staz?

If so can they disregard any future warranty claims?

They knew yes. I told them when I booked the car in and also in my email to Jeremy Hicks. I chatted to the tech who dealt with my car and he said if they don't know that there's a map on they reflash the ECU anyway!

Ok thanks mate. I'll get onto it this week and let you guys know what the outcome is.