S3 1.6 Tecknik 60 Plate - Misfiring at idle

elephantstone

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased the above model. Since purchasing I've had the infamous intermittent esp faul and have since replaced the coil packs and spark plugs.

I am also experiencing misfiring when the car is idling and the engine management light has come back on after clearing the codes. Reading this forum suggests it's a relatively common issue, however, since the coil packs have just been replaced does anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem.

It's done 31000 miles.

Best,

A S3 1.6 Technik? One of a kind!

Get the car scanned for faults whichever model it is, there is no point in guessing on modern cars.

+1 get it scanned - it could be the egr valve - but it could be other stuff...

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Got it scanned after work tonight and it's throwing up a new code. This one is 16804 fault in bank 1 which seems to be linked to the CAT. Could this be linked to the replacement of the coil pack and plugs or should it be dealt with in isolation.

I've only had the car 2 weeks so the dealership will cover the cost, but i've only had it back 2 days after the replacement of the coil pack and plugs

best,

Hi guys,

Apologies for returning to this. Could a misfire be causing the fault code 16804?

I'm being told that the spark plugs and HT leads are to be replaced.

Elephantstone.

16804/P0420/001056 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16804/P0420/001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
Possible Causes

Leakage in Intake and/or Exhaust System
Catalyst faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) Control faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Intake and Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Catalyst
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control
Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check

Special Notes

For 1.8T's experiencing this fault code, this thread may be useful: VWVortex.com - Aftermarket DP/Cat -DTC - Cat efficiency below threshold - Who has this DTC and wich DP/Cat
Check the Official Factory Repair Information for any TPI/TSBs that apply to dealer level Engine Controller flash updates for the vehicle in question.

See that's what I thought. Why would they then say that plugs and HT leads to be replaced?

I will note I know nothing about cars.

UPDATE - so i've had my car back 2 days and the light is back on with the same fault code. I've had the car 1 month and it's already been back twice, this will be the 3rd time but now i'm outwith my 30 day warranty. I'm going to call and chance my luck.