S1 vs S3

jdas03

Reaction score
I've been looking at my next move back into an Audi!
Been away a few years since I traded my 8L S3 in for an Abarth 500 both of which were awesome cars in their own right!
I since bought a house and had to downscale into a cheap and cheerful hairdresser mobile (MX5 MK2) :-(

I've had enough of the jokes and I'm now considering going for a finance deal on either a new S1 or S3. I wanted some advice on the differences? My local Audi dealer has neither an S1 or S3 to test for a few weeks so I am trying to get some early impressions, any thoughts would be great but my key thing is fun!

With regards to the S1 it seems to come with an OK standard spec so the only options I was looking at were the two Quattro packs, are there any other options that I am really missing out on?

Cheers

You'd think the S1 is the spiritual successor to the 8L S3, on paper at least. But in reality, it's a better car out the box in all areas, the handling, steering and performance! It's a real joy to drive, possibly the best driving car that Audi makes, though someway off from being the fastest. The RS cars do what they do amazingly, but they are all Autos now, the S1 was just such a fun car to drive with it's 6 speed gearbox, I'm certainly considering buying one! :racer:

Reactions: Gothy
I'm not going to suggest options, because I think all of them are required!

But I would say I think you will find on PCP that both cars will be similar money due to the ultra strong residuals of the S3 (not that the S1 is bad!). I went for the S1 for 3 reasons;
1. It is more exclusive (I see 8V S3's all the time)
2. It's different (it's much wilder looking that most Audi's when it has the quattro packs)
3. I don't need the space of the S3

In terms of drive, they are quite different. The S3 is solid and dependable, and I hate to say it, comparatively boring compared to the S1 (note comparatively - it is not a boring car!). The S1 is like a little terrier, skipping down the road, it's much more nimble and chuckable (as it's lighter/shorter wheelbase). As my S1 is running 284bhp it's properly insane, I genuinely can't imagine needing/wanting more power in it for normal use, but even in stock form its pretty damn mad.
The S3 is a great all rounder car, if you want refined speed got for that, if you want a seriously fun toy that you just can't help but drive like a loon, get the S1 (and then tune it!).

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and jojo
Thanks for the input, S1 sounds like the way to go for me - just want something fun! Couple of questions as I haven't driven one - what does it sound like? My Abarth used to have amazing sound through the 4 pipes out the back, does the S1 have a bit of character there - any cracks or bangs?
Also what is on the standard car, I was trying to work out if it had Bluetooth music streaming as standard or you needed the tech pack to add that? It's amazing how the price goes up when you add a few options!

Sounds good - one 'bug' is that if you leave it in Dynamic (which turns up the engine noise emulator), then when you get in the car, despite saying its in dynamic, it isn't - you have to cycle through Eco-Auto-Dynamic to get it really on. But when it's on, it's good, quite throaty, and almost 5-pot'y in sound. Without the emulator it still sounds good, but basically like any other 2L 4-pot (I'm used to straight/V6's so it doesn't really do it for me).

Yes, A2DP streaming is standard on cars built after week 5 (as the connectivity pack is then standard) - cars prior to week 5 need the Connectivity pack or one of the 2 Nav options to do Bluetooth audio streaming. I would double check the connectivity pack situation directly with Audi though as it still exists in the brochure as an option for the S1 (not standard), but for sure all the literature about the Product Improvement (PI) model post week 5 said it would be included (I strongly suspect the brochure is out of date!).

S3 --- Electronic handbrake only, pan roof available on both 3 door and sportback

Plus consider this but dont let it put you off, but do realise Audi customer relations is a bit hit and miss !

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/air-con-condenser-design-fault.216978/

S3 more expensive, more power, bit quicker than the s1, bragging rights, more boot, more insulated so doesnt feel as quick, feels refined compared to the Golf R in manual, higher insurance, pan roof available on 3 door and sportback
Good looking car and a more sensible option for room. I would go for manual but the electronic handbrake would annoy me.

S1...Normal handbrake (dont bother with the armrest it just gets in the way)
Less insulated and smaller so feels quick, like driving a go kart, a very expensive very good go kart !
Driving position excellent, apart from lack of footrest which you get used to and is pretty lively out of the box (depends what youre used to)

Annoying that there is no time function when using digital speedo, and satnav screen down !
Pan roof only available on 3 door, IMO sportback looks better but no pan roof.

Definitely needs the 18 inch wheels IMO, tried it with the 17s and it feels far less planted.

I'd say fuel costs are fairly similar, road tax is actually £25 cheaper on the S3 sportback, compared to S1 sportback

Also I would consider used 8ps in S3 and RS3 (both have normal handbrakes, RS3 no pan roof !)

Also new RS3 coming out soon, blow the budget completely, this would have to be amazing for me to buy it, shame they dont do a manual

Have to go R8 for that, getting silly now !

or you could really blow your mind with a year old RS5 for the same money, car tax and insurance, fuel, maintenance, everything will cost double !!!

Reactions: mister.c., Gothy and jdas03
Back in late June I had priced out the S3 3dr with a few other cars. My list didn't include the S1 since I didn't think I could fit since I'm 6'-7". I was down in Italy for a Monza Track day in my other car and one of the guys I know had just took delivery of an S1. So I got to sit in it and I actually fit (even with helmet) and he let me take it around the track there.

Just like everyone else said its like a Go-kart and was very fast for what it is on the track. I've always had a love for small hatchbacks so it brought back memories. His spec was the 17's and no Quattro Packs, which in the turn the only problem I saw with it was at about 130 mph on the track it seemed very twitchy in the back. Since I have picked up my S1 I have had it up to 140 mph and could not replicate how his car felt. So i'm not sure since the regular S1's have single deck wings vs. the Quattro Dual deck wing could be the issue or not.

After that drive I started shying away from the other cars on my list and looking into the S1 and finalized my purchase in Sept.

I've only had my car for 14 days and I feel like it was the better choice for what I need out of a daily driver.

Reactions: Gothy and ACWKGYTO
Its roomy I'm 6ft2 and built like a rugby player and its one of the most comfortable supported driving positions Ive experienced with the super sport leather seats

My last car a M135i manual gave me a bad back, and so did my 320d m sport tourer, remind me not to buy another manual BMW !!!!

My old S3 8P was also good on my back

Arent you on winters at the moment Rob, 140mph on winters ! Insane ha ha

You will love it on 18's roll on Spring time !

When do you think you will put them on ?

I think the OP knows the answer given which section he posted in ;)

TX.

Reactions: mister.c., Gothy, Luc s1 and 1 other person
I think the OP knows the answer given which section he posted in ;)

TX.

Aah yes did you check he didnt post in both ?

Very different car which is good news as too many Audi products were starting to look a bit too similar, these two are different in many ways, both good.

Last edited:
l was wanting a S1 very sporty looking indeed cracking in the looks department,but in comparison to the A3 the interior is starting to look a little dated now,in my opinion the S3 has a long throw gear change,longer than my MK3 ST3...didnt like that,apart from that there's not much to dislike,also on a PCP DEAL...The S1 loses out a lot, compared to a S3 Sportsback.A £35k S1 was going to cost me more per month than a £38k S3

Reactions: jdas03
Aah yes did you check he didnt post in both ?

Very different car which is good news as too many Audi products were starting to look a bit too similar, these two are different in many ways, both good.

I didn't but he hasn't ;)

TX.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
If I was buying now,I'd probably be looking at the S1 for the fun factor,but having sunk a lot of time,money,and someone else's effort into the S3,that's where I'm staying.

The engine has great potential,but unlocking all of that from the current models is proving a little difficult,and the integrated exhaust manifold won't help,but it looks such a good little car,and I love small cars with good performance.

Reactions: jdas03 and ACWKGYTO
Thanks for all your responses! I think the S1 is the car for me then. I don't need the space - I have a diesel clio if I need that! so this is purely for enjoyment and weekend drives really!
Had a few PCP quotes and the options don't seem to make a lot of difference to the GFV on PCP so monthly payments go up a lot with each option added, so for me I'm going to have to choose wisely or like you say the S1 gets to S3 money and beyond quite easily!
Currently looking at Quattro exterior pack and BOSE. Would love the Quattro interior pack but damn that's pricey!

Reactions: josedebardi
£1695 !

Whats your GFV coming up as on the S1 (presume youre going 3 door) quattro exterior and bose ?

Is the GFV 80% Cap clean in 3 years ?

I will be interested to hear your views when you take delivery of your S1, Which sounds inevitable ;). I am a previous owner of a 500 Abarth and I'm hoping the S1 replicates the funfilled entertainment of the Abarth, just without the back breaking ride! I will be taking delivery next month.

Late to the party but even though I bought the S3 and genuinely love it, I do still look at S1s with admiration.

It's a car I'd love to buy for my partner if I get the chance to as it just looks and sounds damn fun! I personally find my S3 very enjoyable (especially when I have it running 400 ponies) but I still believe the S1 would be the most enjoyable S/RS offering.

Even in Aberdeen I've only seen a handful on the road so it goes to show ;).

Funny enough one of the commets from Audi Australia is "S1 is a stepping stone for people who have never driven an Audi S series car before to get into other higher S serires cars." That's why Audi delibrately "detuned" the engine in S1 so it doesn't "over shadow" the S3.

Funny enough one of the commets from Audi Australia is "S1 is a stepping stone for people who have never driven an Audi S series car before to get into other higher S serires cars." That's why Audi delibrately "detuned" the engine in S1 so it doesn't "over shadow" the S3.

Of Course,the "S1 IS A STEPPING STONE TO A S3"....it's just the way of things.....its all down to cost And More So, Age of potential buyer's....Ford Focus ST-Fiesta ST,VW Polo GTI-Golf GTI.......And so on.People that buy a Boxster cant afford a 911 and so on

The S1 has a variant of the Golf GTI engine, not the S3 engine. The S1 engine is not detuned.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO