S1 to buy or not to buy

ZONDAFF

Reaction score
Hi S1 owners, I am considering purchasing an S1 in the new year seeing as the prices have become, let's say 'more sensible' for a small car.
There's many ex-demo cars and the likes although still considering brand new depending on the discount offered.

Questions for you:
- What's the car like as an owners proposition?
- Is the exhaust system the same as that on an S3, i.e. they are valved?
- Is the entertainment system/navigation hi-resolution and does the screen automatically rise and fall into the dash?
- The difference between Audi sound and Bose, heard the standard isn't best and any other options you'd suggest going for?
- Is the 231bhp 2 litre engine from the PP Mk7 GTI or the previous Mk6 engine with the older turbo etc?

Sorry for all the very critical questions, although I'd appreciate your views. Have not sat in, driven or seen many on the roads, although the looks are smart for a little Audi! Also own a M135i so I guess performance isn't a big priority as I am sure the Quattro system will come into its own.

Last edited:
The motor is the EA888 unit from the MK7 GTI. It's the new MQB platform motor.
The exhaust is indeed valued and it is controlled via the Audi Drive Select controller that also plays with steering, throttle response and the adaptive dampers.
The entertainment system isn't the thin screen that's on the S3 that rises up electrically. The S1 has a mechanical system that flips the screen up when you push the release button. The graphics are decent but it lacks Apple Car Play.

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
It is a really fun car, my Nephew bought a new S3 just after I got mine and he admitted that mine was quicker and more fun to drive. Admittedly mine is remapped but it's fun stock too. Looks mean as well

Although I have a RS on order I really like the S1 I recently tested the golf r and it left me unimpressed I certainly wouldn't swap it for it.
There's not really much to dislike decent fuel economy and you don't see many around.
If I had a niggle it would be the lack of personal settings in the driving modes and the standard Bridgestone tyres are awful.
I tested a M135 after the I tested the S1 and to be honest it's ugly and it was wet at the time and had no traction.

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Thanks for the responses, guys :)
If you don't select the Tech pack does this result in a smaller and poorer quality screen?
Also if you don't mind, what discounts did you manage to get off the dealer?

the s1 is a great little car , imo it needs to be fully loaded to make it the car it should be , both quattro packs are a must and as many other packs as you can get

Okay, thanks fella's! Just going to pop over to the S3 section on this forum and basically ask similar questions, decisions, decisions...

Not sure if I really like the S3 I think the golf r is a much better car I've tested both.
But to be honest the reason you buy a hot hatchback for me is to look good and both are so boring to look at.
I wouldn't get rid of my S1 for either at least the S1 looks good and other road users turn their heads when you drive past the S3 and golf r look dull.

Reactions: ChrisG.
agree with above , i nearly had a golf r but lease deals have made them as common as muck the gti is now a rarer sight on the road than an r
still a nice car to drive though
not blown away with the latest s3 either

I do like the exclusivity of the S1 still. Have seen a lot more S3's on the road.