S1 Ride Quality

RS23GTI

Reaction score
Having come from a mk7 GTI, the only criticism I can level at the S1 is the ride comfort. I've got the optional 18"s and the comfort levels on long journeys are a bit desperate.
What's other people's thoughts on this?

Does it ride considerably better on the 17"s? If it does, I'd be swaying towards some aftermarket alloys - OZ more than likely.

fit eibach springs , solves the problems and looks better too

When in Eco mode which I would use on long journeys I was quite impressed with the S1 ride - in Dynamic it is quite firm. In Auto it depends how you're driving of course!

Thanks for the replies. I find dynamic too crashy, eco a bit wallowy and tend to leave in auto most of the time as it's the least irritating. It really misses the individual mode of the GTI.

How did the lowering springs exactly change the ride gingers3?

Totally agree the Individual option is missing. Had it on my SQ5 before the S1 and on the RS3 now and use it 99% of the time.

Maybe clutching at straws a little but what tyre pressures are people running?
I seem to remember thinking the recommended was quite high?

I ran 34 all round.

Audi-A1-Tyre-Pressure-Placard-290x600.jpg

My S1 has 17" wheels, and I have no complaints (running at standard tyre pressures). Dynamic can feel a little harsher on "rough" roads. For comparison, we have 2 Citroens as well, a C5, which, having Hydractive Suspension, is more comfortable than most. However, the other is a 2014 C4 (steel suspension), and I find the way I drive in either Eco or Auto, the S1 is nearly as comfortable.​

Thanks for the replies. I find dynamic too crashy, eco a bit wallowy and tend to leave in auto most of the time as it's the least irritating. It really misses the individual mode of the GTI.

How did the lowering springs exactly change the ride gingers3?

i thought it was a little too wallowy all round , at speed was a little un stable !
the eibach s firm it all up a bit , is slightly harder over big pot holes but overal much better than oem

IMO I have always found the ride in Audi's too hard, I am running with KW Variant 3 and can't really fault the ride, however I did have to part with a lot of cash to achieve my desired ride lol
DTYME83

IMO I have always found the ride in Audi's too hard, I am running with KW Variant 3 and can't really fault the ride, however I did have to part with a lot of cash to achieve my desired ride lol
DTYME83
What damper settings are you running?

DTYME83
What damper settings are you running?

The recommended settings from KW however I am now gonna have reduced the amount of travel in the setup since the remap as the power is causing the shocks to travel to far, causing it to catch @shakey_hand_man
DTYME83

Seems a little weird that you're complaining about how hard the ride is when you've bought a performance car. Surely you expected it to have hard suspension? :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: DTYME83
Thanks for the helpful response...

My last 3 cars have been an M135i, Fiesta ST and a mk7 GTI - all performance cars. The S1 has by far the harshest ride of the 4. If it was a lotus or Caterham I would say fair enough but it's not, it's a hatchback. Performance doesn't equal harsh ride.

I use to do my daily commute in eco mode but recently I have changed it to dynamic and all honestly I cant really fault the ride. it must be the mk6 st as the mk7 is a hell of a lot harsher ride on the same journey for me. but then I am young and I have came from a decked polo.
I would have thought fitting the lowering springs would have worsened the ride? not improved?

Nope mk7 ST, and I find the S1 harsher. Might be something to do with the seats as they aren't as supportive as any of the aforementioned hatches.
Agree on the springs, I can't see them making it more comfortable, less bouncy perhaps.

Agree with the seats,bit more side bolstering and forward leg support needed.
Currently using Auto Drive Select, which I think for my work use is good.

I came from a clio 197 with h+R lowered springs and the S1 seems like a Bentley compared to that lol.

I think the S1 is good for a car of its size. It's unfair to compare it to something with a much longer wheelbase etc.

I generally find it fine, though am always glad to get out after a 3-5 hour stint!

Probably the biggest contributor to this, though, is the noise - rather than the ride. It's not the quietest thing in the world!

Reactions: S1Pete and Ian Whiffen
I think the S1 is good for a car of its size. It's unfair to compare it to something with a much longer wheelbase etc.

I generally find it fine, though am always glad to get out after a 3-5 hour stint!

Probably the biggest contributor to this, though, is the noise - rather than the ride. It's not the quietest thing in the world!
Again after my Clio, which was fully decat with stainless manifold and milltek, it's like a church lol

Reactions: RMJ891
You lot need to try driving a MKII Focus RS if u think the ride is bad.

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Agree with the seats,bit more side bolstering and forward leg support needed.
Currently using Auto Drive Select, which I think for my work use is good.

do you have the super sports seats ?

i had the normal a1/s1 seats in my caddy van the super sport / quattro seats are much better

If you think the S1 is harsh, have a go in an A1 S Line.......

I came from an A1 Sline and really can't tell the difference. I don't find either of the rides to be harsh at all.
When I had a Renault 5 Turbo on coilovers Though, that's another story :) still loved it though

Having come from a mk7 GTI, the only criticism I can level at the S1 is the ride comfort. I've got the optional 18"s and the comfort levels on long journeys are a bit desperate.
What's other people's thoughts on this?

Does it ride considerably better on the 17"s? If it does, I'd be swaying towards some aftermarket alloys - OZ more than likely.
I have 17s and no problem with ride or noise both perfectly acceptable, tend to stay in auto mode most of the time never bothered with Eco.

I find my S1 spine crumblingly hard and far less composed on broken tarmac compared to other hot hatches i've owned (clio 200, Fiesta St, even the s3 was less crashy).

I find my S1 spine crumblingly hard and far less composed on broken tarmac compared to other hot hatches i've owned (clio 200, Fiesta St, even the s3 was less crashy).
Sure your not just getting old ;-)

It's all down to personal preference, I suppose and also the quality of the roads that you use daily.

I love the set up and just have it in dynamic all the time without any issues.

Chris

Having gone from the S1 to the RS3 (with Mag Ride), the S1 in Dynamic is far softer than the RS3 in Comfort!
I think it has a lot to do with 18s vs 19s tho. I would assume the S1 on 17s is like riding on a feather cushion!

Having gone from the S1 to the RS3 (with Mag Ride), the S1 in Dynamic is far softer than the RS3 in Comfort!
I think it has a lot to do with 18s vs 19s tho. I would assume the S1 on 17s is like riding on a feather cushion!

That's interesting, Jose - I thought the chassis and the longer wheelbase etc. made the S/RS3 variants more compliant ride-wise than S1s?!

I thought it would be too, but you definitely feel a pot hole more in the RS - on the odd occasion I can't avoid them!

I wont admit that the ride isn't hard but coming from an A1 which was stupidly low on coilovers it doesn't really bother me that much I quite enjoy it actually not sure how much longer that will last though as I get older! :)