S1 needs new clutch!

Jifjay

Reaction score
Evening all!
My Audi S1 is less than 18months old, with less than 11,000 on the clock and the clutch has been slipping.
Audi have taken it apart and say they can not find see an manufactured issues.
My S1 was telling me I was in 1st when I was in 3rd..... and omg did it smell!
Where do I stand!

If the clutch is faulty due to manufacturers issue they would probs fix it due to good will. But if its had ******* which it sounds like it has if its only done 11k on one clutch then youll have to pay for a new one, if you have to get a new one you may as well upgrade it while your there

2009 Golf GTI 2.0, Tornado Red, Engine code: CCZB, Manual, Custom 2.5" Turbo back Sports Cat Exhaust System, Ram-Air Induction

Are you the owner from new or did you buy second hand? if so prior to you getting it, its probably had a hard life, as in post above.

Reactions: Sam Rowley
Evening all!
My Audi S1 is less than 18months old, with less than 11,000 on the clock and the clutch has been slipping.
Audi have taken it apart and say they can not find see an manufactured issues.
My S1 was telling me I was in 1st when I was in 3rd..... and omg did it smell!
Where do I stand!

I bought my S1 pre-owned at about 10,000 miles. The day after the clutch completely went on it. Worst smell of my life, clutch slipping, wouldn't engage into gears, clutch got stuck to the floor it was awful. Completely broke down in the middle of nowhere but luckily I had audi breakdown cover with my purchase. They replaced the clutch on it and it's been alright so far. But I've heard of other people having clutch issues like ours too. I think unfortunately it might be a semi-common problem

Reactions: Jifjay
Hi Wilster i had an issue with my clutch at around 10k i had my car from new and it started off just with the odd slip until it got to a point i lost faith in the car pulling out at roundabouts. took it in to audi and they replaced it no problems. since it has been done it's been okay touch wood.

Are you the owner from new or did you buy second hand? if so prior to you getting it, its probably had a hard life, as in post above.
Hi there!
I've had if from new and have driven it really well!
Long distance drives on cruise control! Mainly...... it's my 2nd car

Reactions: golfhappy
If you bought it from new there should be no issues about getting it done under warranty it's only done 11000 miles a clutch should last up to 60k at least. Even if you had driven it hard it shouldn't of given up.
The clutch in the S1 apparently is uprated on 2017 models according to my dealer but I don't where he got this information from. So if he's right my new S1 should be ok when it arrives in March.

Ah so you broke the 1st one as well...kidding! got mine from new 1300 miles in 2 weeks....petrol tank with a volume of a thimble and the thirst of 10 tigers...love it! hope i don't have any clutch issues then.

After you've owned a BMW 335i the S1 is like owning a 1itre diesel!
It was so bad on fuel I was in a traffic jam once I had to pull over to stop running out.
I use to get 30 mpg out of my first S1 without to much trying and high 30s on a run....You must have a heavy right foot!

That's not bad for a 2 litre Quattro car.
That's what I use to get out of mine.

Great to drive, plus you never see them. I was thinking tuning box but it's got enough performance for me. Only mod is a quattro badge on the opposite side from the S1. Even bought a proper one.

Bought an audisport one, revo technik sticker thought about a revo metal one and arrived at the quattro badge, just suits it.

Great to drive, plus you never see them. I was thinking tuning box but it's got enough performance for me. Only mod is a quattro badge on the opposite side from the S1. Even bought a proper one.
Including mine,there's another 5 in my small town now lol!

Sell it! as "Sparks"sung "This town aint big enough for the both of us" now am showing my age!

Reactions: S1Pete
I have a brand new unopened Sachs Organic clutch for sale if your interested

If you bought it from new there should be no issues about getting it done under warranty it's only done 11000 miles a clutch should last up to 60k at least. Even if you had driven it hard it shouldn't of given up.
The clutch in the S1 apparently is uprated on 2017 models according to my dealer but I don't where he got this information from. So if he's right my new S1 should be ok when it arrives in March.
Hi Andy,
You would think so!
My lovely Audi has been off the road for 3 weeks now as I'm not going to pay for it.
Got a meeting on Thursday to get this sorted once and for all.
I miss my S1!

I'd be calling Audi customer services everyone knows that the transmission isn't quite up to the job.
It should be a given without any issues that it should be replaced.
I'd be absolutely mad that it had been off the road.

I am, I've had to ask so many people for advise cause they are saying wear and tear! Just because I'm a blonde female I'm not stupid! Nor am I paying over £2k for a clutch under warranty

Wear and tear after 11000 miles that's a joke. Audi are taking the ****.
I dont work on vehicles anymore but a clutch on a modern car just last at least 50 to 60k.

Friction plate looks ok, the face shown, not conclusive with the heat spots on the flywheel and pressure plate?

To create the heat spots you'd expect the friction plate to have a glazed(shiny) surface from video it looks ok but thats from video not seeing it in the flesh. That's my opinion i'm no expert, Ford storeman circa 1977.

Ex ford technician and diesel fitter despite all the ******** from Audi if a clutch goes after 11000 miles it's either not fit for purpose to last or its had a defect from new.
Unless you've had a remap fitted this could of contributed to it.
If not there's no argument from Audi that would convince me that's it's normal wear and tear.
There's no way I would pay a penny

Reactions: s3_trev and Jifjay
Well having had a quick look into it, it could be the friction material isn't up to the job, which in turn could have caused the slippage, hence the heat spots. I wouldn't pay for it either......other advice is buy a Mexico mk1 or 2 i don't care!!!

It's worth going to Audi as there is a 3 year warranty. If you have no mods then they should replace it. Believe me they are aware of the problem. I was going to take mine in to Audi and get it done as I can just take my abt piggy back ecu completely off but I didn't want them, after taking the gearbox out, spotting my Forge intercooler and saying it wouldn't be covered by them. I bought the Sachs organic clutch in the end. It's still sitting at home tho because, apart from the earlier slips in 6th, it's still holding out. Now up to 25000 miles. Be warned not only should you get the clutch but also replace the dual mass flywheel, slave cylinder and bolts. It's an eye watering £1200 in total without fitting but it will be worth it.

Have i not read somewhere that it's about £1000 all in from the dealer?

I honestly can't see what the problem is the cars 18 month old with 11000 miles.
You have some car technician spouting out crap about hot spots tbh I honestly don't think he knows what he's talking about and trying to baffle you with ********, it's a joke and probably because your a women!
The cars clutch should not wear out after this period or slip.
I'd threaten to take Audi to court and get as independent examiner to look at it.
Hope you get sorted out and look forward to see how it goes.
Good luck don't let them beat you

Stick to your guns. Audi are aware of the problem. It should be done under warranty, especially if you haven't remapped it. Alex, one of the s3 owners, blew his gearbox up after mapping his car to over 400 bhp and Tonbridge Audi replaced it as a goodwill gesture at over £3000. I went into my Audi dealer in Bexleyheath and the site manager there asked me straight out how my clutch was holding out. Sale of goods act should have you covered or threaten them with Small Claims Court

Stick to your guns. Audi are aware of the problem. It should be done under warranty, especially if you haven't remapped it. Alex, one of the s3 owners, blew his gearbox up after mapping his car to over 400 bhp and Tonbridge Audi replaced it as a goodwill gesture at over £3000. I went into my Audi dealer in Bexleyheath and the site manager there asked me straight out how my clutch was holding out. Sale of goods act should have you covered or threaten them with Small Claims Court

Thank you very much!
I think they are blonder than me down here! That or they have not sold many S1's

Hope you get your new clutch, if you dont its a f'ing joke
I had an S1 from new about 2 years ago, it wasnt fit for purpose I got rid after about 3 months

My s1 had a steering fault they knew was there and the car was not fit for purpose 3 months in it it spend 6weeks in the workshop 600miles later they are building me a new one
You would expect there CustomerCare attitude from vx or ford. Not audi
Keep us updated

I am currently in a very similar situation with my manual S3. I would be very interested to hear the outcome or your current situation on this matter.