S1 Help?

Simon91

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just signed up here as I am seriously considering the S1 as my next car and trading my BMW E82 Coupe.

I have a few questions, if you could share your experience that would be really great.

The car I have spec'd is S1 3dr with Comfort Pack, SD Nav, Metallic Paint & Roof Line options.

1. I have been offered £346p/m with £1299 upfront and Audi will clear the £700 negative equity on my BMW, is that a good price? What are you paying?

2. What is the real world MPG you get?

3. How fun are they to drive? Can you live with it as a daily?

4. Are there any safe remaps available? If so, cost/performance gains.

5. I'm about to turn 24, what's the average age of an S1 driver?

Looking forward to my test drive in two weeks and any answers I receive.

Firstly welcome, yet another BMW defector!
1. Seems reasonable.
2. Low 20's according to the DIS but @josedebardi maybe able to help as he uses fuelled
3. The most fun! I use mine to commute and it's a hoot
4. People have been using the dtuk tuning and there are now some people taking the plunge on a remap. All the remaps will through the td1 flag and void warranty but I believe mtm offer there own insurance to cover this issue. 300hp seems fair but with exhausts,downpipes and filters 330hp is within reach
5. There's a thread devoted to this, I'm 30 but there seems to be a wide range of ages from 21 to 70+

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
1. Yes, seems OK
2. See my signature for calculated figures.
3. Most fun car I've driven on the road. An MX5 would be more fun on a track when you can hang the **** out all the time. Very good as a daily.
4. Search for the many remap related threads on here. I've lost count how many times I've commented on it! I've gone DTUK on the basis of cost/warranty/short term ownership of the car (I have the new RS3 on the way). If I was planning on keeping the car past warranty I would be going for a remap at some point. Whatever you do tune-wise - one bit of hardware you will for sure need to update is the clutch. Mine lasted 6k of tuned miles, many others are getting less! It's only £500 for a good one plus fitting though.
5. I'm 29. Vast majority of most owners are mid 20s to mid 30s and male. Couple of 40/50s and couple of teenagers with too much money!

I've owned fast BMW's (E88 135i) and other fast/big Audi's, as well as driving all sorts of mad cars and I can honestly say the S1 is one of the best. It's like a little terrier, keen and eager to please with a good pinch of playful madness, whilst still being a totally dependable and trustworthy companion!

Hi all,

Just signed up here as I am seriously considering the S1 as my next car and trading my BMW E82 Coupe.

I have a few questions, if you could share your experience that would be really great.

The car I have spec'd is S1 3dr with Comfort Pack, SD Nav, Metallic Paint & Roof Line options.

1. I have been offered £346p/m with £1299 upfront and Audi will clear the £700 negative equity on my BMW, is that a good price? What are you paying?

2. What is the real world MPG you get?

3. How fun are they to drive? Can you live with it as a daily?

4. Are there any safe remaps available? If so, cost/performance gains.

5. I'm about to turn 24, what's the average age of an S1 driver?

Looking forward to my test drive in two weeks and any answers I receive.

1. Exterior and interior packs, black styling, privacy glass, keyless entry - £4000 down and £300 a month
2. Dunno, hasnt arrived yet lol
3. From the 3 test drives Ive had they seem like great fun.
4. Seems like most will flag up a warning to the ECU and audi will know, DTUK doesnt (apparently)
5. Im 30 and male

1. Don't have any payments its paid off.
2. I'm getting around 22mpg but also drive above 100 mph on the way to work and back everyday.
3. My initial Test drive was on Monza in Italy and I fell in love with the attitude it gives off for being such a small car. Currently it is my daily and occasional track car when I'm not driving my other car on the track.
4. I went with Revo Stage 1 didn't worry about the flag.
5. I'm currently 34

Hi there hopefully we will convince you to buy one.
1. No finance paid cash.
2. About 26 / 29 Mpg I do belt around in it
3. Definately a daily driver. It's a very comfortable for long distances as well as nipping around town.
4. I have the ABT remap. 310 bhp and 440 nm torque. It comes with a 2 yr / 100 000 mile warranty. It doesn't cut in until the engine warms up to 90 degrees and as it's a piggy back Unit I don't think it flags up. Also have pipercross filter and upgraded turbo inlet pipe.
5. 51 years old

Reactions: PastS1Owner
ABT map is around £2000 isnt it?
Yeah but there is a guy on Facebook who, having spent on a revo remap, has burned his clutch in 1300 miles. So he now has to factor in another £700 for an uprated clutch with fitting. So its fairly close to what I paid now

Yeah but there is a guy on Facebook who, having spent on a revo remap, has burned his clutch in 1300 miles. So he now has to factor in another £700 for an uprated clutch with fitting. So its fairly close to what I paid now

Although it did sound like Jac was trying like a loon doing full bore launches every 5 mins which would kill an unmapped car's clutch too!

Although it did sound like Jac was trying like a loon doing full bore launches every 5 mins which would kill an unmapped car's clutch too!
I think you are right Jose. It is strange that the clutch doesn't match the power output even in standard mode. All I'm hoping is that, when my clutch inevitably goes, I can get abt to replace it under warranty. Especially as I have emails from them saying that there were no problems with their remap lol.

Reactions: josedebardi
Seems like the clutch is the weak point in this car.
I collect my car first week in august and Im thinking before delivery I need to buy

1. DTUK off Jose
2. Pipercross air filter
3. Silicone intake hose
4. Uprated sachs clutch

Seems like the clutch is the weak point in this car.
I collect my car first week in august and Im thinking before delivery I need to buy

1. DTUK off Jose
2. Pipercross air filter
3. Silicone intake hose
4. Uprated sachs clutch

I'd say you'd be pretty set with that lot :)
Get what you can out of the OE clutch first though, I think Jac was a one off. Others including myself are getting a good few thousand miles before it's ******.

Reactions: Ian Whiffen and PastS1Owner
I'd say you'd be pretty set with that lot :)
Get what you can out of the OE clutch first though, I think Jac was a one off. Others including myself are getting a good few thousand miles before it's ******.
Yeah definately get the most out of the standard clutch first, like Jose said it depends how you treat it. I have just clocked up 5k in my S1 and 3700 of those are on the remap with no problems. Just watch out on fast pull aways. It's the reason I will probably do a race day at Brands Hatch and the Ring but won't be going to any drag strip meets.

Lot of people seem to be moving away from BMW these day lol
1. Seems reasonable. (MY car is on finance)
2. Not really paid much attention to the MPG as its performance car, but I don't find it that bad on fuel as full tank generally does me a good couple hundred miles.
3. It can definitely be used as a daily driver, however the car is too much fun I am surprised I ain't received a speeding ticket lol. The car just wants to go all the time. It's also comfortable on long distances journeys so IMO its a good all rounder and spacious for a little car.
4. Don't really believe in tuning boxes will be getting an APR map when it is available and also upgrading the clutch as the current clutch can not cope with the extra power.
5. Age 32

1. Your numbers don't seem bad. Mine was £3k down and £350 a month, but my car is higher spec
2. 29mpg over 7k of mixed driving
3. I wasn't sure about going back to a manual car, but look at my signature for my recent rides. It's great fun to drive and even std one of the best mid range engines I've had. Great for overtaking.
4. Left mine std
5. 49

In theory my car goes shortly as I've an RS3 on order. Trying to get the girlfriend to take it over as I will really miss it.

Reactions: DTYME83
Like you I'm going from a BMW 3 Series Coupe to an S1.. Less body to lug about and more fun! I'm expecting mine end of this month. :happy:

1. That seems like a good deal.
2. Can't comment on MPG (yet lol) but anything in the mid 20s would be good for me as I only get 32 34mpg out of the bmw anyway
3. When I test drove it seemed like a lot of fun and that wasn't for very long (and the dealer sitting next to you lol).. still very comfortable solid car though.
4. Not sure about mapping yet
5. I'm 18 probably one of the youngest S1 drivers here.

Hope it helps

Thanks for all the feedback chaps, got my test drive saturday morning so see how that goes :)

Reactions: SamS1 and kevin lewis
How did it go Simon? Is the order in?

Loved it, what a great ride. I'm currently battling the dealer for a better price on a stock car as the delivery from order is October, the tyres on the BMW won't last that long.

They've just sent me a spec for the one in their showroom that I could take but waiting on prices as it has more on it than the one I opted for.

Fair does, my order was about 8 weeks from sign to delivery. But that was without either of the Q packs.

Can anyone confirm if the car has bluetooth streaming without tech pack?

Depends...

If it was built before May this year and has the connectivity pack or tech pack then yes

If it was built after May then yes regardless of options.

It hasn't been built yet so should have it. I've attached the spec here.

It's currently being built so would be able to have it in August, lower spec than I originally wanted but cheaper. I can retrofit the armrest and have the sat nav put in after.

Attachments

• Black S1 in stock config.pdf
    387 KB · Views: 717
Yea you can then. They effectively made the connectivity pack standard on cars built after May.

Order placed.

Will be retrofitting sat nav and armrest when it arrives. Should be with me by mid August :D

Thanks for your help chaps!

Reactions: SamS1
Order placed.

Will be retrofitting sat nav and armrest when it arrives. Should be with me by mid August :D

That's what I did they installed the sat nav when they done the PDI.

I really wanted an armrest but I chose not to spec it as the test drive car had one and it just seemed a bit in the way and did get in the way of the handbrake for me!! My Beamer had a fairly big arm rest I'm still looking for it every time I get in the car something I gotta get use to lol.

Good choice though I've had mine a week today and love it - love driving it!

I tend to use my armrest on longer drives or when I'm not going to need to stop. It tends to go up in the city as it gets in the way quite a bit!

I only have it for the bit of extra storage it gives you (something the A1 severely lacks in!)

Order placed.

Thats quite a quick turn around.
I pick mine up next week and I ordered at the end of April.

I only have it for the bit of extra storage it gives you (something the A1 severely lacks in!)

Agreed - I have my magic AutoGlym OCD cloth in there! :)

Reactions: SamS1 and josedebardi
I managed to get one that was being built already so it should ship soon, although this will be the longest 4/5 weeks ever!!

Nice one fella (Y) Should come in quick enough.

Im hoping to pick mine up next week!

Nice one fella (Y) Should come in quick enough.

Im hoping to pick mine up next week!

Post some pics up when you get it man, sepang was my choice of colour but i didnt want to wait until october so I have black

It's gorgeous that's why :p

I'm happy with black though, should look good against the 18" S wheels

Just checked the youraudi page and it's finished being assembled and moved into QC today, hopefully not as long a wait as expected.

Just watch your salesman doesn't go on holiday like mine did. Nobody dealt with my car while he was away.

It's gorgeous that's why :p

I'm happy with black though, should look good against the 18" S wheels
I love a good polished black car. Part of me wishes I got black instead of Sepang.

Black is nice but is too hard to keep clean

Reactions: gingers3 and Ian Whiffen