S1 clonking noise

JFH

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought my first Audi S1 earlier this week from a private seller. I love the car but it has a weird clunking noise when stationary, louder when steering right. The noise is also audible when steering over crap roads. It isn't the worse clunk I have ever heard on a car, so I'd leave it until it gets a service in a few months but I am curious to know what the noise could be. Any ideas would be very welcome!

Does it clunk when you rock the steering back and forth when stationary?

If so then it could be the pinch bolt at the bottom of the steering column but based on a few others posting about it recently in the fb groups, it's probably a failed steering rack. The bolt is cheap to replace and try, the rack definitely is not.

Does it clunk when you rock the steering back and forth when stationary?

If so then it could be the pinch bolt at the bottom of the steering column but based on a few others posting about it recently in the fb groups, it's probably a failed steering rack. The bolt is cheap to replace and try, the rack definitely is not.
It makes a faint clunk when you rock the steering at stationary, more so when doing it to the right. It isn't too loud, but you can feel it through the wheel a little. It is due a service in 6000 miles and I do tend to do lots of miles in my cars, so I'll get a service centre to give it a check over when it is due a service. Hopefully it is just the pinch bolt as you said. Thanks for your help!