S1 air intake box mod?

Daniel Gorton

Reaction score
I was on the s1 facebook group and someone mentioned something about removing something plastic from the standard air box. Didn't really say anything else about it. Does anyone know anything more about it and whether it's safe and does it give you a better intake noise? I can't really do any mods to the car but if I can change something without having to install anything that'd be great.

Thanks for any help
Dan

yeah if you remove the cover from your filter box, then remove the pannel filter at the bottom. There is like a plastic grate remove that the replace the filter. I would fit a pipper cross pannel filter at the same time.

yeah if you remove the cover from your filter box, then remove the pannel filter at the bottom. There is like a plastic grate remove that the replace the filter. I would fit a pipper cross pannel filter at the same time.
What does removing it actually do though?

Im not 100% sure but it looks like a baffle to spread air flow in the box.
Revo inform you to remove it when installing their induction kit.
Coming from a technical background it could be a resonator to stop pressure but that's just a guess.
I have never really googled it to go find out the truth i might be totally wrong.

It's main function is to prevent snow from wetting the filter. It will also help with some intake sound attenuation though I don't know how significantly and whether it played a role in the drive by noise tests.

It certainly looks like it was designed to be optional, possibly to allow the filter to still function correctly whilst allowing more intake noise to impress journalists reviewing the car.

Regardless, it looks fine to remove unless driving in snowfall in my opinion.

I took mine out 2 years ago when I fitted the K&N panel filter, no issues and have driven in a couple of snow storms