S-tronic

TurboBen

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the DSG on the RS3 really lazy in manual mode? It sometimes takes a couple of seconds to shift after I pull the upshift paddle. It's a lot slower than my 2015 S3, and slower still than the 2017 S3 that I test drove, which seemed really responsive.

Is anyone offering a DSG tune for this gearbox yet?

I had this problem and Audi acknowledged it and said they were looking at it. That was on a 2015 PFL and over a year ago now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it in sport + dynamic ***. In any other mode it is fuel saving hence slush changes. Imho the gearbox is awesome, manual changes take the blink of an eye when "on it". The car is clever so knows when you are mooching along or going for it.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: sve170
I should add this was only when pulling the paddle when already in D or S - so the first initiation to M. Once in M it was fine.

I'm usually in dynamic mode, with the box either in D or S (makes no difference) and in manual mode. Maybe I just need to get used to it and ask for the upshift well before I actually need it. Just a bit disapppointed that the gearbox is so much less responsive than my S3.

Perhaps there is a problem with yours as seriously mine changes in an instant when I have my foot down either sports gearbox or paddle changes. You absolutely can't accuse it of being slow.

TX.

Reactions: sve170, billymc92 and EdmundVR4
I'm usually in dynamic mode, with the box either in D or S (makes no difference) and in manual mode. Maybe I just need to get used to it and ask for the upshift well before I actually need it. Just a bit disapppointed that the gearbox is so much less responsive than my S3.
I find it a very clever 'box. So if I'm coasting along and downshift, it's slow. If I'm braking and downshift, it's instant. It definitely knows when you're on it.

Reactions: Terminator x
Downshift seems fine, It'll even skip gears if I downshift say from 4th to 2nd (S3 did this too).

Downshift seems fine, It'll even skip gears if I downshift say from 4th to 2nd (S3 did this too).
Imho if it is shifting 2 gears for you then you are in the wrong gear for "a blast" so perhaps coasting then floor it which will be slow as car won't expect that. If you are on it and either going up and down the box manually or auto sport it will shift like lightening.

Good example I only noticed yesterday, when in dynamic and braking hard the car shifts down early giving pops and bangs vs a more progressive brake which gives no early downshift.

TX.

Manually shifting down 2 gears is usually under heavy braking approaching a corner or a roundabout. Fact is, I can shift down (manually) from 4th to 2nd in less than 1 second, missing 3rd completely. Accelerating from 2nd to 3rd to 4th is a different story, usually a 1-2 second lag on each upshift. If I click the paddle at 4k rpm, it doesn't shift till 5k (still running in!). My PFL S3 (6 cog) had a slight lag, maybe half a second. The FL S3 (7 cog) I test drove was almost instant, so noticeable that I commented to the guy that was with me about it. I was expecting the RS3 to be similar.

Yours is broken then ;) there is no noticeable gap when changing gear on a charge in mine. Feels instant.

TX.

Reactions: Sash_11
Manually shifting down 2 gears is usually under heavy braking approaching a corner or a roundabout. Fact is, I can shift down (manually) from 4th to 2nd in less than 1 second, missing 3rd completely. Accelerating from 2nd to 3rd to 4th is a different story, usually a 1-2 second lag on each upshift. If I click the paddle at 4k rpm, it doesn't shift till 5k (still running in!). My PFL S3 (6 cog) had a slight lag, maybe half a second. The FL S3 (7 cog) I test drove was almost instant, so noticeable that I commented to the guy that was with me about it. I was expecting the RS3 to be similar.
Yeah, that don't sound right at all. Mine is instant on downshifts, ie 6th to 2nd at 40mph by rapidly pulling on the paddles 4 times and it's instant. Similar with upshifts.

Update and request.

Took it into dealer to have it looked at as it's now getting quite rough on upshifts too. Very noticeable jolt, espescially in lower gears. All they did was feed me some bull and reset the S-tronic. Made no difference and now seems to be getting worse. It's really starting to ruin my enjoyment of the car :(

As for the request, is there anybody in the North East with a FL RS3 that would be willing to take me for a spin? I'm in Hull, but don't mind a bit of a drive out. I just want a comparison with mine so I can say for sure if mine's not behaving. I've tried asking the dealers if they can let me take out a demo RS3 again, but they keep making excuses. I get the feeling they don't want me to see what the DSG SHOULD be like.

Update and request.

Took it into dealer to have it looked at as it's now getting quite rough on upshifts too. Very noticeable jolt, espescially in lower gears. All they did was feed me some bull and reset the S-tronic. Made no difference and now seems to be getting worse. It's really starting to ruin my enjoyment of the car :(

As for the request, is there anybody in the North East with a FL RS3 that would be willing to take me for a spin? I'm in Hull, but don't mind a bit of a drive out. I just want a comparison with mine so I can say for sure if mine's not behaving. I've tried asking the dealers if they can let me take out a demo RS3 again, but they keep making excuses. I get the feeling they don't want me to see what the DSG SHOULD be like.

Just be cheeky and pop in to another Audi and ask for a test drive, what I’d do

Reactions: sve170
I've looked at doing that, but all the ones close to me are either the same dealer chain or don't have an RS3 available.

RS3 FL 7 speed DSG different to PFL S3 6 speed DSG?? My observations so far.

So I have had my FL car a few weeks now and have noticed some fundamental differences in how the DSG 7 speed box in the RS3 FL acts differently from what I have been used to in the PFL 6 speed DSG n my 2014 S3.

When I drive the car normally in D mode then flick the gear box into Manual mode using the lever, the car holds gear as expected. However, sometimes if I am slowing a little and want to drop one cog the car will actually drop more cogs. Several times I have been going down a road at 25mph in 3rd gear, approaching a roundabout and go to drop it to 2nd gear and the car goes straight to 1 st gear. So I look like a right plumb revving the car in 1st gear and quickly have to change up a gear.

At other times moving from D to M mode and changing up the car will jump straight to 5th or 6th gear rather than just moving up one gear.

Now this all seems to happen when poodling around, almost as if the car is trying to pre-empt what I want to do even when in M mode.

When driving a little more spirited the M function behaves as expected.

Another observation is that when using the paddles you cannot force the car back into Auto mode by holding into the right paddle like you could with the 6 speed DSG box.

So I guess my question is... are these normal behaviours of the 7 speed DSG? Is it trying to be clever ??

I have to say S mode is very good.

Thx
Jungle

Reactions: T-800
It seems you are holding the pads too long. The RS3 switches to the lowest/highest possible gear if you hold the left/right paddle.

rs3 i drove on demo shifted a lot quicker than my 6spd dsg on both upshift and downshift, so id say theres an issue looming, think id be asking them to update the tcu

Agree there, manual shifts on mine are rapidly quick

The shifts are instant, thats not the point I was observing. Its the fact that sometimes on part throttle it shifts more gears that I was expecting and the second point was I cant seem to force it back into auto mode using the paddles.

RS3 FL 7 speed DSG different to PFL S3 6 speed DSG?? My observations so far.

So I have had my FL car a few weeks now and have noticed some fundamental differences in how the DSG 7 speed box in the RS3 FL acts differently from what I have been used to in the PFL 6 speed DSG n my 2014 S3.

When I drive the car normally in D mode then flick the gear box into Manual mode using the lever, the car holds gear as expected. However, sometimes if I am slowing a little and want to drop one cog the car will actually drop more cogs. Several times I have been going down a road at 25mph in 3rd gear, approaching a roundabout and go to drop it to 2nd gear and the car goes straight to 1 st gear. So I look like a right plumb revving the car in 1st gear and quickly have to change up a gear.

At other times moving from D to M mode and changing up the car will jump straight to 5th or 6th gear rather than just moving up one gear.

Now this all seems to happen when poodling around, almost as if the car is trying to pre-empt what I want to do even when in M mode.

When driving a little more spirited the M function behaves as expected.

Another observation is that when using the paddles you cannot force the car back into Auto mode by holding into the right paddle like you could with the 6 speed DSG box.

So I guess my question is... are these normal behaviours of the 7 speed DSG? Is it trying to be clever ??

I have to say S mode is very good.

Thx
Jungle

Yes Jungle it now shifts down a couple of gears if you hold the paddle toooooo long :yes:

Can be quite funny if it catches you off guard.....

And yes now for some reason Audi have taken the hold paddle to revert back to auto mode off the car.

Reactions: jungle650
Talking about driving in manual, is anyone able to make a video of manual shifting between 3500-6000rpm with full throttle? Would be good to compare as i sometimes feel a slight jolt when doing this...

Reactions: mz21
Talking about driving in manual, is anyone able to make a video of manual shifting between 3500-6000rpm with full throttle? Would be good to compare as i sometimes feel a slight jolt when doing this...
Sometime in my PFL I get a huge bang when doing this, seemes to be the rev limiter and up-shift coinciding by chance. Best way to avoid it is shifting slightly earlier.

Sometime in my PFL I get a huge bang when doing this, seemes to be the rev limiter and up-shift coinciding by chance. Best way to avoid it is shifting slightly earlier.
Used to get this a lot and it sounded and felt horrific and not at all good for the car. As you say, it's when you change up as the limiter is simultaneously about to kick in.

Almost in fact like the wheels and transmission lock up for a split second, so violent is it.

Yeah when i shift earlier or light throttle it’s perfect only happens on full throttle. Would expect it to be fully perfect but i guess these cars always have a few minor issues!!

I feel this aswell! When shifting full throttle at high rpm (6000+) I feel an unpleasant jolt, so this is normal in our cars? I even contacted the Audi dealer to check for gearbox software updates, this doesn't feel right to me, feels like the F1 gearbox in old Ferraris and old SMG BMW gearboxes.

I feel this aswell! When shifting full throttle at high rpm (6000+) I feel an unpleasant jolt, so this is normal in our cars?
‘Normal’ is not the word I would choose... more a common issue.

Is there anything that I should do to solve it?

Light throttle when changing manual.. full throttle and sports mode to avoid the jolts .. that can avoid it lol but hopefully soon they bring some update out to fix it

It's only right at the limiter when changing from first to second where this happens. I'd just try to change at 6000rpm rather than 6800rpm. Admittedly, the needle is flying round at this point!

I felt it from second to third several times already

Update and request.

Pop over to Leeds if you fancy a coffee and a natter. I’ve had mine 3 weeks since moving from a B7 RS4, so keen to meet some new people in the fold ;-)

Pop over to Leeds if you fancy a coffee and a natter. I’ve had mine 3 weeks since moving from a B7 RS4, so keen to meet some new people in the fold ;-)
Any change you use to own a beautiful DBP Golf R32, and frequented the R32 forum?

Reactions: jaysrs4
Any change you use to own a beautiful DBP Golf R32, and frequented the R32 forum?

This one? (Sorry, very shameless of me)! ;)

Attachments

• C973E6E1-04DE-40FD-A01C-3FF67156979F.jpeg
    C973E6E1-04DE-40FD-A01C-3FF67156979F.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: jungle650, SPIKE_ and DW81
This one? (Sorry, very shameless of me)! ;)

Very nice indeed, such a cool looking car the golf is especially the golf R with that bluey purple paint colour.

Reactions: jaysrs4
Thats the one! The best looking mkV R32 I've seen. What have you got now - RS3 PFL or FL?

Why thank you sir :redface new:

I was going to Turbo it but I really grew out of it and wanted something more serious. I sold it and bought a B7 RS4 that I kept as a garage queen for 5 years, sold it 3 months ago for exactly the same as I bought it for :welcoming:

I’ve just bought an ex demo RS3 saloon and am itching to have a play with it!

It’s off for a mapping on the 11th then the quest for the perfect stance and rims begins!

I’ll stick a thread up when I pull my finger out my a**!

What are you rocking about in?