S tronic versus Tiptronic

Owyn

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I'm currently browsing A6 avants and allroads, around the 2015-2016 period seem to fit my budget.
I'm looking at 3.0 TDIs and notice that the BiTDI version has a tiptronic gearbox where the single turbo has an s tronic box.

My previous experience in A4s and A5s is that the s tronic boxes can be dodgy in terms of reliability and the tiptronics are bomb proof.
Does this experience still hold true or is the s tronic in the 268bhp A6 more reliable?
The BiTDIs are a chunk more expensive but if that means trouble free shifting then I may have to find the extra.

Thanks

I have a 2016 Bitdi.
The tiptronics are superb.

They are rumoured to be able to take over 750nm of torque.

Well, I bit the bullet today and put a deposit on a 2015 A6 allroad with the 270HP diesel engine, so hope the S Tronics are good!
It drove really nicely but did have plenty of condensation coming out of the exhaust for a while during the drive and on the floor when it was idling, I'm putting it down to the car being stood for a while. I also took out the top whatsit warranty for a year in case anything really throws its hand in.

It was a lovely car though, I'm really looking forward to picking it up next week.

Reactions: sonnymiah and DonkeyIce
Well, I bit the bullet today and put a deposit on a 2015 A6 allroad with the 270HP diesel engine, so hope the S Tronics are good!
It drove really nicely but did have plenty of condensation coming out of the exhaust for a while during the drive and on the floor when it was idling, I'm putting it down to the car being stood for a while. I also took out the top whatsit warranty for a year in case anything really throws its hand in.

It was a lovely car though, I'm really looking forward to picking it up next week.

Hi Owyn,

How is your 272 performing? Is there much difference from the bitdi?

Hi Owyn,

How is your 272 performing? Is there much difference from the bitdi?

Hi there, I like the 272, I don't know if its because its the allroad but it doesn't feel like a car to rush around in. the power seems plentiful enough and hasn't left me wanting more yet.
The gearbox is pretty good, way better than the old 6 speed tiptronic in my old A4, it can still get a bit jerky when going really slowly but when on the move its seamless. It does make a little bit of noise every now and then but is generally great.
I never drove a bitdi but I can only imagine they are really good-although its rare I put my foot to the floor in mine.