S-Tronic Traction Advice ?

Bobblejones

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had my 2l TFSI (190) for just over 2 weeks, having moved from a diesel manual quattro.

Whilst everything else is much better than my previous A5 i still struggle when pulling out of busy junctions and roundabouts. Initially i was very gentle with the accelerator but this meant too much of a lag between pushing down and actually moving at any speed, if i try to push more i seem to just generate a lot of wheelspin before eventually setting off.

I know overall traction will be down when compared to quattro but didnt expect it to be this much worse. I ak hopeful that i will eventually get used to it and find a sweetspot but wondered if anyone had any advice for me?

Do you put it into Dynamic mode at roundabout/jumctions?
Do you put it into manual mode ?
Do you have any tips on throttle control?

Thanks in advance!

This is something I’m worried about when I take delivery of my A5... too used to flooring it with no wheelspin with the current Quattro. Feel I’ll need to learn throttle control again but hoping it’s not too noticeable.

I came from the S3 quattro which as you know you just boot it and you are gone! When I first got the A5 I had rather a few embarrassing moments where I'd spin the wheels at junctions, etc. the most embarrassing moment was when I picked my wife up after a works party at a posh hotel (big posh entrance with a gravel drive) she got in, I pulled away and spun like a right t1t in front of all her friends!!! :blink: I felt like getting out and saying "I didn't do that deliberately" :D

You do get used to pulling away without doing it though :)

Reactions: cuke2u
To be fair I usually have to use S mode in my Q3 as otherwise the s-tronic can be a little sluggish (though not consistently).

Am I right in thinking dynamic mode forces S mode on the gearbox? Glad to see the A5 retains individual mode that was on the A3 but not Q3.

To be fair I usually have to use S mode in my Q3 as otherwise the s-tronic can be a little sluggish (though not consistently).

Am I right in thinking dynamic mode forces S mode on the gearbox? Glad to see the A5 retains individual mode that was on the A3 but not Q3.
Yeah from memory as soon as you select dynamic it also switches to S mode.

Reactions: glj81
Hmm, not sure about the dynamic mode switching the gearbox to S mode automatically from personal experience.

If I have mine in dynamic and pull away in D1 as usual or S1 there is a massive difference and the revs are completely different at gear change on D & S modes.

Noob question now but how do i put s-tronic into S mode? The shifter has D/S listed but cannot work out how to go from D to S?

Noob question now but how do i put s-tronic into S mode? The shifter has D/S listed but cannot work out how to go from D to S?

Just pull it backwards and it switches to S

Reactions: S32B and cuke2u
Hmm, not sure about the dynamic mode switching the gearbox to S mode automatically from personal experience.

If I have mine in dynamic and pull away in D1 as usual or S1 there is a massive difference and the revs are completely different at gear change on D & S modes.

Not sure what you mean mate. When you select dynamic the gearbos defaults to S. you can of course have in dynamic and switch back to D. Obviously if you keep car in dynamic and D it won’t switch back to S next restart

Thanks - was sure i had tried that but attempted again this morning and, voila, it went into S mode. Next is to try at a busy roundabout and see if traction improves

Yep it does 100%, it you flick through all the modes, soon after you see dynamic on your dash the S appears as well...flick to the next mode and the S goes off.

Reactions: NevMan
Mines goes to D when I put it in Dynamic, or E for Efficiency - doesn't actually go into S mode unless I push back.

Difference is night and day though, much nippier.