S-tronic question

Scotty2011

Reaction score
Im due to collect my new S3 in 12 days and have a question about the S-tronic that some of you who have already got your S3s or drive S-tronics could answer.

How exactly do you tell the car that you want to change gear manually using the paddles and also how to revert back to the car changing gear automatically. Can you explain the difference between 'D' and 'S' or does it depend more on whether you're in dynamic mode?

Thanks

D mode gives normal driving. S mode changes down later so you can hit higher revs, and changes down sooner. I often use s mode when going into a corner to drop the gears down. If you use the paddles to change gear it switches to manual and either goes back to auto after a couple mins, or you can switch back to auto just by pulling the gear stick towards you.

D mode gives normal driving. S mode changes down later so you can hit higher revs, and changes down sooner. I often use s mode when going into a corner to drop the gears down. If you use the paddles to change gear it switches to manual and either goes back to auto after a couple mins, or you can switch back to auto just by pulling the gear stick towards you.

Makes sense. How do you change between 'D' and 'S'?

You can use the + and - paddles on the steering wheel to change up and down manually. This will put the car into manual mode. Use this at any time you want to manually change gear. It will stay like this for a while, and if you don't manually make another gear change, it will eventually drop back to automatic.

Even in manual mode, each gear has a minimum and maximum speed. If you go over or under this, then the car will still change up and down automatically to prevent stalling or damage to the engine etc. The car will not let you manually select a certain gear if you are under or over the speed required for that gear. Sounds complicated but it really is a good gearbox and very responsive.

D is the standard automatic mode. S is sport mode. It's still automatic but it will change up at higher revs and a bit more aggressively than when in D.

Reactions: Scotty2011
You switch between S and D just by pulling the gear stick towards you. It's like a toggle.

Reactions: Scotty2011
You can use the + and - paddles on the steering wheel to change up and down manually. This will put the car into manual mode. Use this at any time you want to manually change gear. It will stay like this for a while, and if you don't manually make another gear change, it will eventually drop back to automatic.

Even in manual mode, each gear has a minimum and maximum speed. If you go over or under this, then the car will still change up and down automatically to prevent stalling or damage to the engine etc. The car will not let you manually select a certain gear if you are under or over the speed required for that gear. Sounds complicated but it really is a good gearbox and very responsive.

D is the standard automatic mode. S is sport mode. It's still automatic but it will change up at higher revs and a bit more aggressively than when in D.

Thanks very much, makes perfect sense now. I will get used to it quick enough. When I test drove the S3 i did play around with the paddles etc but didn't really get used to how it properly works. Clever technology! :)