Facelift S-Tronic Question S3

I've never known it drop a gear either in manual when accelerating. Doesn't it just mean you guys have the gear too high for proper acceleration though?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nope, you can be at 4000rpm and it kick down in manual.

Perhaps Audi have reprogrammed the FL cars then? Must be a Good Thing though as if you plant your foot you want fastest possible acceleration don't you?

TX.

Perhaps Audi have reprogrammed the FL cars then? Must be a Good Thing though as if you plant your foot you want fastest possible acceleration don't you?

TX.

I guess but it sometimes seems a bit pointless. If it kicks down from 3500rpm to 4500rpm, you are only in that gear a split second and it changes again.

Point being if in manual, it would be better for us to have total manual control. But in some aspects yes, it can be preferred. It's useful if you were in 5th and when planting your foot, it's drops to 2nd but the whole point of manual is that you do it yourself.

Reactions: AL_B
@AudiNutta

Well mate you were spot on about that 10mph threshold. Watched the speedo this morning when approaching speed bumps (in manual mode) it does indeed change from M2 to M1 at bang on 10mph. And as you say you cannot change up to M2 below 10mph. But when in S mode, it will hold on to S2 at 10mph and below.

But my scenario of changing up in manual mode, and it being slow - I was definitely above 10 mph. I just think the gearbox must revert to a slow shift speed when in manual, compared to S mode.

@AudiNutta

Well mate you were spot on about that 10mph threshold. Watched the speedo this morning when approaching speed bumps (in manual mode) it does indeed change from M2 to M1 at bang on 10mph. And as you say you cannot change up to M2 below 10mph. But when in S mode, it will hold on to S2 at 10mph and below.

But my scenario of changing up in manual mode, and it being slow - I was definitely above 10 mph. I just think the gearbox must revert to a slow shift speed when in manual, compared to S mode.

I did think it was 10/11mph when it allowed you to change. It should be a few mph less but not a big problem, once you've done it a few times you time the shift with the engine noise and I never miss the shift now. If we are in Manual, it's quite likely we are seeking more performance so I can understand it reverting to a gearbox setting similar to sport.

When I first started driving this cars on extended test drives and when I first had mine, I rarely used Sport on the gearbox and always used the paddles. But now having spent more time in it, I must say Sport is brilliant. It's such a fast change and so responsive, no good for normal driving because of how sensitive it is but it's not for that anyway. Plus it changes down at just the right time in every gear to get pops.

Strange that the RS3 is different as it will bounce off the limiter and not shift. Changes down though even in manual if revs drop too low, guess it may stall otherwise which wouldn't be good. Quite handy though as it changes to first as you come to a stop.

This doesn't surprise me at all to be honest. The RS3 is treated differently to the rest of the range. They see it as the proper sport model rather than just the usual line with a bigger engine. Same as BMW's M cars I guess. I can see it now, Audi will simply say if you want it to act like an RS3 you should have bought an RS3. Typical manufacturer response...! :)

Yeah I agree with the change down though, always nice that it drops the gears for you as you slow down so you are ready to set off. I can see people's issues with the rev limiter but it never really bothered me as I wouldn't bounce it of there anyway. The powers dropped off by then and you should've changed already surely?

We'll yes it does... but take my example:

On motorway and in 7th(manual) and think I want to accelerate as fast as I can. Drop it manually to 5th thinking that ought to be enough. Plant the throttle and the car goes "hey you could have even gone to 4th!" and drops another gear.

Now I'm sure this will accelerate faster... but in manual I'd rather get it wrong.

Now I get you. To be honest I never ever noticed this as I never used the kick down while in manual mode. For the time I had my last S3 I would only use kick down while in auto mode, as soon as I went in to manual I never went past the switch as I thought it wouldn't do anything anyway. So I'll live in ignorance and carry on as I did before when I pick the new one up. lol.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
This doesn't surprise me at all to be honest. The RS3 is treated differently to the rest of the range. They see it as the proper sport model rather than just the usual line with a bigger engine. Same as BMW's M cars I guess. I can see it now, Audi will simply say if you want it to act like an RS3 you should have bought an RS3. Typical manufacturer response...! :)

Yeah I agree with the change down though, always nice that it drops the gears for you as you slow down so you are ready to set off. I can see people's issues with the rev limiter but it never really bothered me as I wouldn't bounce it of there anyway. The powers dropped off by then and you should've changed already surely?

It only becomes annoying when I find a perfect underpass to bring out my inner yob and decide to upshift at the top of the rev range like said yob would. Only then to miss the shift time by 0.1 of a second, for it to unglamorously shift up with no ignition cut noise and look like a right boobie.

When it does change up on its own it doesn't make the usual 'DSG fart' and is so disappointing haha.

It only becomes annoying when I find a perfect underpass to bring out my inner yob and decide to upshift at the top of the rev range like said yob would. Only then to miss the shift time by 0.1 of a second, for it to unglamorously shift up with no ignition cut noise and look like a right boobie.

When it does change up on its own it doesn't make the usual 'DSG fart' and is so disappointing haha.
Doesn't it always fart when I'm dynamic, S and auto? Im sure mine does. Must resist testing that as soon as leave work.....

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Doesn't it always fart when I'm dynamic, S and auto? Im sure mine does. Must resist testing that as soon as leave work.....

Yes it does, but put it in manual and let it get to the red line without changing and most of the time it changes up without noise.

Reactions: TYb
Oh ok I see what you mean.

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Does it still fart while in Individual mode? I set it up so its mostly dynamic.

Does it still fart while in Individual mode? I set it up so its mostly dynamic.
Mine certainly does, you get more farts so to speak by putting it into s as well. The farts are most prominent in dynamic though

TX.

In manual it will only change down if you hit the kick down switch.
Just flooring the throttle leaves mine in gear which is the same as my MK5 and MK6 GTI

Reactions: AL_B
In manual it will only change down if you hit the kick down switch.
Just flooring the throttle leaves mine in gear which is the same as my MK5 and MK6 GTI
This might sound really dumb as I have a stronic but what and where is the kickdown switch?

Push the throttle down slowly until you feel a bit of resistance, that is full throttle.
Now push the throttle further and you will feel a switch like a push button before it hits the floor.
This button will cause the car to change down whatever mode you are in.

After 12 years driving DSG type gearboxes you get know where it is and never activate it but still get full throttle. :racer:

Reactions: Terminator x, AndrewB, Tom.H and 1 other person
Push the throttle down slowly until you feel a bit of resistance, that is full throttle.
Now push the throttle further and you will feel a switch like a push button before it hits the floor.

After 12 years driving DSG type gearboxes you get know where it is and never activate it but still get full throttle. :racer:
Ah ok, I have noticed that but rarely push it that hard, thanks for confirming and not telling me it's in the boot or something

Reactions: Terminator x and SILVAF0XX

I must have the sensitivity of a bulldozer - I can't feel this kickdown switch. Or the point of full throttle, but not kickdown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must have the sensitivity of a bulldozer - I can't feel this kickdown switch. Or the point of full throttle, but not kickdown.

Lol - that's really funny.

Put you foot on the throttle and gently push all the way down until it stops, if you push more can't you feel a bit of a click? (obviously do this when the engine is off)

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and AL_B
I hate the kick down switch...

Lol - that's really funny.

Put you foot on the throttle and gently push all the way down until it stops, if you push more can't you feel a bit of a click? (obviously do this when the engine is off)

Ha! Found it. Now to train myself to not press it - easier said than done I think.

After discovering the kickdown switch whilst stationary this lunchtime, I decided to experiment on the way home this evening.

So motorway, sport mode, gear: S6. floor it, car does what I thought was "kickdown", it has a think, and drops to 4th and starts to shoot off.

I try again, this time pressing the throttle like I did at lunchtime. Same gear, same speed, but pushing that tad extra, click, this time it drops to 3rd!!! Lots of noise and it starts to shoot off. I quickly lift off. Crazy. I would never dream of dropping to 3rd at 60-70mph in a manual car.

So I have at least learnt where the kickdown switch is, and how to avoid it.

AL

Reactions: Terminator x
Just tried it on my car, surprised it was there, would never find it myself. I don't think I'll ever use it though. Just trying to get used the throttles 'inch of slack' as the Golf R owners call it. Other than that I'm enjoying the s-tronic and don't really miss manual.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and AL_B
Sorry for the slightly off topic, but can someone tell me what the torque rating for the FL S-Tronic box is? Is it a wet DQ500?

Thanks. Any idea of its torque rating?
The new 240ps tdi Tiguan shares the same dsg gear box I believe and that has 369ft lb of torque or 500nm, the S3 S-Tronic has 400nm.

Reactions: CJP80
Reply from St Ronic, the inventor of dual-clutch gearboxes

Now I have read these comments in this thread and I am very disappointed in some of the remarks as you have to understand that I know much better than you because this gearbox was developed in Germany and we build only perfect things here. I can't imagine why you would, but even if you should want to change gears manually, or handbetrieben as we say in German, I don't want you ruining things so it takes over when I think you may have forgotten to change. If you wanted a handbetrieben then you should have bought one! My engineers spent long hours inventing the DSG or Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe to give it its full name and they would not be amused to find that you spoil their efforts, so we built in various safeguards to prevent this. We are also trying to stop global warming so together we want to get you into 7th gear as quickly as possible. Of course there is always the Druckpunkt (that's kick down to you) but I made it so objectionable that I hoped you would not use it.
So in Zusammenfassung (that's a nicer way of saying summary) you vill do it my way or don't buy ein Audi. See if I care if you buy a BMW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mark_86