S-tronic Owners - Manual Mode

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
A question to those of us with S-tronic

Do you use the manual mode?
Only had a quick play so far myself

Not really. I used it the other day to slow down in traffic through the gears rather than the brakes. After coming from a manual I thought I'd use the flappy paddle or sequential bit but I don't feel the need...I'm definitely getting lazy!

Auto 90% of the time. I only switch to manual when I'm in economy drive select to gear down to get the revs quicker going up hill.

Auto 90% of the time in sport mode. Other 10% when I want to change down faster than the kick down does to overtake on A roads like the A69. Hate that road.

Auto most of the time. Thought I'd use the paddles but I don't.

Here's some paddle action, assume this is @jaygemson...

Reactions: V6 Quatt
I use manual quite a lot, mostly in S mode. I also over ride D mode with the paddles quite often.
When pressing on, I tend to use the gearstick for downshifts, RH paddle for upshifts.
It's my second S-Tronic car.

I tend to use auto 80% of the time, manual in dynamic mode when i really want to get a hurry on and on b rodes. also override the down shift when in induvidual mode so i don;t have to put the pedal to the bulkhead, it quicker to do this than wait for the box to respond.

When luanching and using LC I prefer manual mode.

Other way for me, I use it about 50% of the time...maybe a little less.

When I'm in the car by myself (most of the time) I have ADS set up in individual with everything on Dynamic apart from the engine, which I have set to Auto. When going round town etc I leave the box in automatic but when I'm actually driving (going to work etc) I put it in manual.

The reason for this is that M let's me choose exactly how the car will be; drop a gear or 2 for the equivalent of Dynamic or change up sooner to give the car more economy if there is traffic. No point having it full blown Dynamic all the time as it just sits too high in the rev band when traffic is slowing down progress.

M is quite clever, if you are stopping or slowing it changes down for you automatically when it can't hold on to the gear any more. So all you need to do is choose when to change up, or when to drop a gear for acceleration......If you forget to change up then it automatically change up gear when you hit the red line anyway.

Reactions: scotty76 and ERBY
Auto - 90% of the time, for me S-Tronic is a wonderful thing and at times cleverer than me at gear selection, so makes me lazy.
I also enjoy manual with my own ADS settings & like opelfruit says its clever in itself for overriding selection. I rarely ever select dynamic in ADS but just select S with the 'shifter' instead.

As others, I mostly let the box change itself. However I have found that when I really want to get the best performance manual is definitely the way to go. I find that even in sport mode the shifts are too early. But using the manual effectively takes some practice, so I suggest you do so whenever the road/traffic is suitable.

Auto mode 100% of the time. Think I have only ever used manual mode as a test to "see what it is like".
I have become lazy and prefer just to stay in Auto all of the time.
I also never use Sport mode, but maybe that's because I have a Revo Stage 1 map.

Anyone else noticed the downshift the S-Tronic box makes in auto on an incline (it works on incline angle not revs) ?
Clever, and works well in D, but often not needed in S where you are in a lower gear and have plenty plenty torque available :)

Other way for me, I use it about 50% of the time...maybe a little less.

When I'm in the car by myself (most of the time) I have ADS set up in individual with everything on Dynamic apart from the engine, which I have set to Auto. When going round town etc I leave the box in automatic but when I'm actually driving (going to work etc) I put it in manual.

The reason for this is that M let's me choose exactly how the car will be; drop a gear or 2 for the equivalent of Dynamic or change up sooner to give the car more economy if there is traffic. No point having it full blown Dynamic all the time as it just sits too high in the rev band when traffic is slowing down progress.

M is quite clever, if you are stopping or slowing it changes down for you automatically when it can't hold on to the gear any more. So all you need to do is choose when to change up, or when to drop a gear for acceleration......If you forget to change up then it automatically change up gear when you hit the red line anyway.

After 2 weeks ownership I'm inclined to lean towards this kind of usage.

I'm finding my main use of the paddles is to downchange ready for an overtake havng put it in sport mode. I usually then let it shift itself at the red line if I need full acceleration or re-engage D/S as I'm passing if not.

I generally drive with music on (not especially loud) which I find hinders using manual properly because you can't hear the engine much in normal driving, and without an H pattern gearbox to automatically tell you what gear you're in, I find myself looking too much at the gear indicator and rev counter to work out if I'm in a suitable gear or not.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Auto 95% of the time, my first auto and i love it,(might be down to my age as well)

+ 1

I'm finding my main use of the paddles is to downchange ready for an overtake havng put it in sport mode. I usually then let it shift itself at the red line if I need full acceleration or re-engage D/S as I'm passing if not.

I generally drive with music on (not especially loud) which I find hinders using manual properly because you can't hear the engine much in normal driving, and without an H pattern gearbox to automatically tell you what gear you're in, I find myself looking too much at the gear indicator and rev counter to work out if I'm in a suitable gear or not.

I used to have it in auto almost all the time, apart from getting ready to overtake and the odd blast.

Since my new exhaust, I start in Auto until I get out of the congested part of my estate, then I'm permanently in manual. I like the control you have and it has made me anticipate traffic a little more and select the correct gear - with that little accelerator button thing* there if you get caught out!

* That point when you press the accelerator all the way down until it clicks further and it causes the 'box to drop to the gear for best acceleration.

Reactions: ross27
@benjie i am the exact same since i fitted my X pipe. I am in manual mode 90% of the time using both the paddles and the shifter.

The main reason is for the noise, as you can keep it sat at a sweet spot in the rev range where its sounds the best!

Reactions: V6 Quatt and benjie

Very good points and I'm in complete agreement. If it weren't for the shift points being too low I'd probably not use manual mode. The solution is of course a gearbox ECU remap. I'm almost tempted to get one done but am inclined to wait until I can get an engine ECU remap as well.

Reactions: Locoblade
Slightly off at a tangent, I've noticed that when the DSG is in S-mode, if you engage the cruise control, it behaves as though in normal mode, then if you release the cruise, it immediately reverts to S. An example; I was doing 55-60mph in S-mode, and the box had just shifted from 4 to 5. I switched cruise on, the DIS continued to show S-mode, but the box changed into 6, then a few seconds later into7. As soon as I released the cruise, the DSG dropped back down to 5.

I like that.

In dynamic mode I can get M7 on the paddles but it won't let be select M7 from S6 if I want to override Auto mode with a paddle flick.

Is it me or do the downshifts seem smoother in Manual mode if you let it shift down when you slow up or get to a junction etc.....

Shifts will generally be smoother at lower revs with any gearbox as there's less rev rise/drop between each gear.

I've also noticed the Manual mode thing only giving you 7th in certain circumstances, haven't really played with it enough to work out when or why it does/doesnt let you have it.

The more I drive the car, the more I use the paddles. A cross-country blat home from N Wales recently returned rather bad MPG, but... :) :) :)

Had a good drive back down the M25 & A21 last week with it in Auto mode for laziness but over-ridden manual mode for all slip road work, and roundabout entry and exit points.
Was good to bang it down a few on the paddles on entry to roundabouts, launch it off the roundabout, up a couple on the paddle then relax and let it take care of it from there.

Reactions: razza1
I have to say, since commenting on this I have been inspired (bit of a strong word, but you get my drift) to use Auto mode more often and it's a refreshing change to using manual. So much so that I'm back to using Auto 90% of the time now! My only gripes with it are that it doesn't change into 2nd quick enough when slowing down by coasting. And when I put my foot down, I rapidly get to my desired speed and I would like it to change up quicker rather than hold the revs. So basically, I want it to read my mind.

So basically, I want it to read my mind.
I think that's the issue I have in that it doesn't read mind.....They should used my wife's brain as the foundation for the technology, as she seems to have the knack.

Reactions: benjie
Yes, in sports or manual mode my
Box is pretty slick, in comfort it bangs into 3rd from 4th
Yup mine does the same.
I've started trialling a quick single pull on the paddle to over-ride it on the slow down from 5th/4th to a stop.
It then seems to jump through to 2nd or 1st much smoother. It ends up in D1 so your good to set off in Auto again.

You expect it to thump in to gear in dynamic but is comfort it should be like butter. If it thumps is that not a warning sign of the Mechtronic unit failing ?

You expect it to thump in to gear in dynamic but is comfort it should be like butter. If it thumps is that not a warning sign of the Mechtronic unit failing ?
It's not thumping into a gear it's just the engine braking caused by the downshift on the slow down, in conjunction with my foot braking. They just don't seem quite in unison on the 4th to 3rd shift. This causes heavier breaking so I lift off the brake only having to re-apply it moments later.

Well I have tried all modes for 3,000 miles and decided I'm a Manual 6-Speed man.
Auto interferes and changes up, just when you coming up the torque curve, so you then lose the torque (even in Dynamic mode).
You can prevent this with more throttle angle but then you end up driving too hard/fast for the situation.

ADS Auto mode and Comfort mode can be a little scary with the lack of response to throttle input sometime (compared to Dynamic), especially if you want to pull out semi-fast from a T-Junction with an on-coming truck !!!

Driving in manual on the paddles is great for some spirited fun but in slow crawl or low speed town traffic the automatic 900rpm downshift can have you standing on your nose. Especially in situations where in a manual you would marginally ride the clutch/clutch control to maintain 2nd gear instead of dropping into 1st.

In my particular situation I live down an un-made bumpy road that requires you to be under 10mph. In a manual vehicle once I hit the un-made section I either coast the 75 yards to my drive or run it down there in 2nd.
In the S-Tronic if I hit the un-made section in 3rd it will drive down there OK. But if I slow marginally more, as I come off the tarmac to the un-made section, it will dip down below 900rpm and stick it in 2nd or even 1st. You are then stuck crawling down the road engine braking which is quite uncomfortable as the engine brake is too slow and throttle input is too fast. You can't accelerate enough to get to 1900rpm for an upshift and I can't bang it into neutral as the manual states it won't be lubricated.

So bottom line is S-Tronic does not fit my driving style or circumstances.....here end's my time with an S4 S-Tronic.........

Reactions: SilvioD