Facelift S-Tronic Overrun Pops + Bangs

What a brilliant reply, thanks for that.
ArnieSmile

Reactions: pburv, Joe4842, azibux1 and 1 other person
I have an S3 8P and an S38V and he was only asking a question no need for reply like that

Reactions: batch and Gordo77
Up to 2500 miles now and noises are definitely becoming louder. Nice burble when lifting off in S mode, good noises on the upshift and when reving in N you can call up pops and crackles on demand.

Its no RS3, but then again I now think the RS3 is too noisy - having seen and heard a few on the road. They draw a lot of attention and seem somewhat 'antisocial' as someone commented the other day.

S3 remains comfy, rapid enough and wonderfully understated, which is what i want.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Richierich37, Soup and 1 other person
I was driving mine the other day and thought something had broke, turned music down and downshifted exactly as I just had and turns out it was the pops and bangs from the exhaust lol a proper shotgun blast totally wasn't expecting it

Up to 2500 miles now and noises are definitely becoming louder. Nice burble when lifting off in S mode, good noises on the upshift and when reving in N you can call up pops and crackles on demand.

Its no RS3, but then again I now think the RS3 is too noisy - having seen and heard a few on the road. They draw a lot of attention and seem somewhat 'antisocial' as someone commented the other day.

S3 remains comfy, rapid enough and wonderfully understated, which is what i want.

RS3 antisocial....?

Tumblr n24o5cVbxn1saxoooo1 500

Reactions: pburv, azibux1 and samo26

Have you been drinking ;) can never be too loud!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv and azibux1
Just returned from spending Christmas in the Highlands and passed the 1,000 mile mark.
Drove along from Loch Tay, Kenmore, Dull (twinned with Boring, Oregon), Aberfeldy to the A9 today.
What a road for getting the pops and bangs going. They're definitely louder now.
Also, what a difference between the Drive Select options. Roads like that really highlight the change in handling. Dynamic was a must on some of these fast twisty roads, although it's as well being in Comfort on the A9.

Reactions: pburv, BigBill, Richierich37 and 2 others
My car is an s3 8v 2015 and I've been searching how i can make to Crackle / pops and bangs at least like the FL .. i installed a downpipe and removed the resonator but still no pops ...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If only I could find the youtube of my stage 2 Astra VXR with a Milltek turbo back exhaust. That thing sounded like it was shooting bullets.

Assume if you replace the full exhaust on the S3 you'll get what you're looking for?

I looked at lots of s3's with full exhausts but still nothing.. and the most confusing thing is the FL s3 is the same engine.. so l don't know maybe they changed the ecu tune or maybe they changed something on the engine...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Here is what mine sounded like on the very sad day that I heard the steering rack clunk :(

Is definitely louder and I get little crackles when blipping up to 2k. The best is letting it roll down the 8 tier spiral car park in Cardiff, it crackles all the way down.. brilliant!! It made my girlfriend comment "what are you doing for it to make that noise?!?!" As I had an ear to ear smile.

http://vid867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Baja-Basher/Audi S3/2AB376C2-11F8-4AC5-8CDB-0D046B147077_zpsmesdw2xe.mp4

This is the valves open and the centre box delete.

Reactions: pburv, HulkRS3, Ghostneo and 2 others
Here is what mine sounded like on the very sad day that I heard the steering rack clunk :(

Is definitely louder and I get little crackles when blipping up to 2k. The best is letting it roll down the 8 tier spiral car park in Cardiff, it crackles all the way down.. brilliant!! It made my girlfriend comment "what are you doing for it to make that noise?!?!" As I had an ear to ear smile.

http://vid867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/Baja-Basher/Audi S3/2AB376C2-11F8-4AC5-8CDB-0D046B147077_zpsmesdw2xe.mp4

Is that an rs3?

he wishes lol

Reactions: batch and AudiNutta

Are your valves permanently open now?

Ok, so not brilliant ( am a girly after all) but I did this recording one day and posted it on my you tube account ...... sad or what!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: batch, pburv, Ghostneo and 1 other person
Ok, so not brilliant ( am a girly after all) but I did this recording one day and posted it on my you tube account ...... sad or what!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good contribution, sounds great.. shows the pops really well while driving!

I am impressed :p

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Cheers buddy... just noticed Awesome GTI sell them. Will get the resonator delete first and see how I get on

No worries, a few have said it's expensive and you can make one for a lot less but this is simple. It is a plug and play kit, the worst part is tucking the cables in. I just jacked the one rear corner up, tied the box to a secure place and ran the cable from the one side of the bumper to the other away from the exhaust, they are OEM plugs and it's very well made.

Nice and simple to fit, you have a power plug which is connected to the original drivers side valve plug. Plug the short lead into the drivers side valve, then the long lead into the passengers side. The passengers side original plug then becomes obsolete so just cover it up.

I only noticed an issue, once, I had one valve opening and closing when I pulled it out of the garage. I disconnected the plugs, wiped and re-connected and never seen it since. It was very wet the day before, must have been some water ingress.

I am not sure where this would stand with warranty, when the car has gone in I just tucked the remote in the glovebox but it isn't exactly obvious to see under the car anyway. I'd imagine the only issue you'd have would be if a valve failed and you left that on. But the way I see it the valves operate MUCH less. When connected to the drive select controller, the valves open when you pull up to idle.. close every time you pull off and then open when you exceed 3k rpm, closing when you drop back below that threshold. That is a lot of work for a small motor over years of use!!

I am glad you are getting the resonator delete, it is amazing. But, you do get very heavy drone when building the revs very slow through 2500-3500rpm. But the quicker you accelerate, you don't get it.. its only when you really hang around at national speeds and I don't think of it now because I keep the car out of that range when I am driving sensibly. The standard S3 I am in at the moment is dead silent, you have a job to hear the pops.. they are more like flutters, in mine they are bangs as you can hear above. You won't be disappointed. If the drone puts you off, buy the drone free pipe we have seen on here the get it fitted, but the cost will over double. Initially it had me doubting myself and asking whether I had ruined the car for comfort, but a month on you don't think of it.. just love it :D Lot's of people have had it done, so it really can't be bad at all.

The valves opened and closed make more of a difference now than when it was standard, you can tell a noticeable difference when sat at motorway speeds. 80% of the time, I drive with the valves closed and when I know I am going to get some pace up.. I open them. The drone might be helped if you leave the car control the valves anyway. My mate followed me a few weeks ago, he said it nearly blew his ear drum when I unchanged by his window haha. If you want to PM me your email, I have some more videos of the outside but they have the reg on so I won't post them here........

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and Ghostneo
No worries, a few have said it's expensive and you can make one for a lot less but this is simple. It is a plug and play kit, the worst part is tucking the cables in. I just jacked the one rear corner up, tied the box to a secure place and ran the cable from the one side of the bumper to the other away from the exhaust, they are OEM plugs and it's very well made.

Nice and simple to fit, you have a power plug which is connected to the original drivers side valve plug. Plug the short lead into the drivers side valve, then the long lead into the passengers side. The passengers side original plug then becomes obsolete so just cover it up.

I only noticed an issue, once, I had one valve opening and closing when I pulled it out of the garage. I disconnected the plugs, wiped and re-connected and never seen it since. It was very wet the day before, must have been some water ingress.

I am not sure where this would stand with warranty, when the car has gone in I just tucked the remote in the glovebox but it isn't exactly obvious to see under the car anyway. I'd imagine the only issue you'd have would be if a valve failed and you left that on. But the way I see it the valves operate MUCH less. When connected to the drive select controller, the valves open when you pull up to idle.. close every time you pull off and then open when you exceed 3k rpm, closing when you drop back below that threshold. That is a lot of work for a small motor over years of use!!

I am glad you are getting the resonator delete, it is amazing. But, you do get very heavy drone when building the revs very slow through 2500-3500rpm. But the quicker you accelerate, you don't get it.. its only when you really hang around at national speeds and I don't think of it now because I keep the car out of that range when I am driving sensibly. The standard S3 I am in at the moment is dead silent, you have a job to hear the pops.. they are more like flutters, in mine they are bangs as you can hear above. You won't be disappointed. If the drone puts you off, buy the drone free pipe we have seen on here the get it fitted, but the cost will over double. Initially it had me doubting myself and asking whether I had ruined the car for comfort, but a month on you don't think of it.. just love it :D Lot's of people have had it done, so it really can't be bad at all.

The valves opened and closed make more of a difference now than when it was standard, you can tell a noticeable difference when sat at motorway speeds. 80% of the time, I drive with the valves closed and when I know I am going to get some pace up.. I open them. The drone might be helped if you leave the car control the valves anyway. My mate followed me a few weeks ago, he said it nearly blew his ear drum when I unchanged by his window haha. If you want to PM me your email, I have some more videos of the outside but they have the reg on so I won't post them here........
Excellent feedback buddy, thanks... just pm'd you.

Reactions: AudiNutta
http://www.awe-tuning.com/news/awe-tuning-switchpath-remote-for-audi-s3-vw-mk7-golf-r-press-release

I managed to find a one off on eBay for £170, otherwise they are quite rare in the U.K... you have to source from the US I think.
My next door neighbor's daughter has a Mini John Cooper Works and she showed me the remote for the valves that comes as standard with that car...You can hear her coming from a couple of miles away ...:scared2:
Upload 2017 2 16 7 35 18
Looks like something you would use to set off a nuclear missile...lol

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I don't really get the pops and bangs things - sounds to me like a misfire LoL :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: nothingness, batch, AudiNutta and 3 others

Any chance i can see the vids too. Im contemplating this mod also thanks

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I don't really get the pops and bangs things - sounds to me like a misfire LoL :tearsofjoy:

It's maybe something to do with this video being every petrol heads fantasy as a child!

Turn it up and enjoy the sound, driving is not too bad either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ghostneo, Rob2k68 and pburv
Any chance i can see the vids too. Im contemplating this mod also thanks

Send me a PM, email doesn't work very well so I'm finding another way of doing it privately tonight.

Reactions: Ghostneo
Send me a PM, email doesn't work very well so I'm finding another way of doing it privately tonight.
Wow !!! That sound !!! Thanks for the vids.... It really isn't that far off the RS3 pops & bangs !!!

Wow !!! That sound !!! Thanks for the vids.... It really isn't that far off the RS3 pops & bangs !!!

It sounds great doesn't it? It's easy to think it's RS3 loud.. but then I heard one again a couple of weeks ago, wow haha.

I will hopefully get some more over to you soon.

Reactions: Ghostneo