S-tronic gearbox noise

Audidave69

Reaction score
Don’t know if I’m been a bit paranoid but for a few weeks I’ve noticed when shifting from drive to reverse I get a very faint dragging noise, if the radio was on you wouldn’t notice it, also when driving out from where I live I have to go slow for about 50 yards before it changes up to 2nd again I get a faint dragging sound in 1st gear.
Just wondering if anyone else has this before I book in at the dealers.

Don't have this with the S5, and from the sounds of things sounds far from normal that mate.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Same engine and gearbox here but no noises as you describe.

Don't have this with the S5, and from the sounds of things sounds far from normal that mate.

You have a completely different make, model and design of gearbox though. Yours is ZF HP8 automatic where as the op has a stronic dsg...

You have a completely different make, model and design of gearbox though. Yours is ZF HP8 automatic where as the op has a stronic dsg...
Ahh yes that's my bad not reading the post properly

Reactions: cuke2u
Don’t know if I’m been a bit paranoid but for a few weeks I’ve noticed when shifting from drive to reverse I get a very faint dragging noise, if the radio was on you wouldn’t notice it, also when driving out from where I live I have to go slow for about 50 yards before it changes up to 2nd again I get a faint dragging sound in 1st gear.
Just wondering if anyone else has this before I book in at the dealers.
I’ve started to notice a noise when changing up and down between some but not all lower gears. It sounds like a servo/actuator which takes about 1 sec, its quite quiet and you wouldn’t notice it with the radio on or road notice. Could have been there all along and I’m just getting OCD. My car is a 2.0 TFSI with S-tronic.

I called in at Audi on Friday just to let them have a listen, the tech guy had a listen and said it could be just the hydraulic valves opening in the box, he had never noticed it before but said he would have a look at another car to see if it was the same.
After talking to another tech they decided to have it in for further investigation so will let you know how I get on.

Just got it back last night, they have had the car 3 weeks as it was more than they were expecting.
Audi listened to the noise and decided it needed a clutch pack but when they opened up the gearbox it had more problems, one been the valves that control the gears so it’s had to have them replaced and new oil and filter, apparently there is a TSB for the noise from reverse to drive.
Haven’t had chance to go for a good drive but coming back from the garage it was so much smoother than before.
Will have a run out at the weekend to give it a good try, so glad this was covered under warranty too.

Now I’m worried! I only get a faint servo noise between 1-2 and 2-3, then I guess it’s too noisy to notice.only happens in drive not manual and once the gearbox is warm. Mmmmmm?

As an update, my gearbox noise was fixed by a simple software update, phew.

Reactions: cuke2u
That’s good, glad you got it sorted

Reactions: DaveM
Sorry to bump your thread, it's been a while but wanted to ask if your problem was something like this in the video at 0:20 ?

Sorry to bump your thread, it's been a while but wanted to ask if your problem was something like this in the video at 0:20 ?

In my particular case, it sounded more like an actuator from an electronic handbrake moving on or off. If I’m hearing your one correctly that sounds like a rumble or train track noise. I’m assuming it’s a TDI.

In my particular case, it sounded more like an actuator from an electronic handbrake moving on or off. If I’m hearing your one correctly that sounds like a rumble or train track noise. I’m assuming it’s a TDI.
Hi yes its a tdi and probably that’s another reason of this problem. And my guess is that the sound is most likely dual mass flywheel is failing maybe with the clutch too.
And the electronic kind of like sound that’s coming somewhere inside the shift knob assembly is happening when I’m shifting from N to D or even R in some cases. It’s at 0:20 in the video. I thought it might be the same as your problem based on your description. Thx

Hi yes its a tdi and probably that’s another reason of this problem. And my guess is that the sound is most likely dual mass flywheel is failing maybe with the clutch too.
And the electronic kind of like sound that’s coming somewhere inside the shift knob assembly is happening when I’m shifting from N to D or even R in some cases. It’s at 0:20 in the video. I thought it might be the same as your problem based on your description. Thxthe DMF
And the electronic kind of like sound that’s coming somewhere inside the shift knob assembly is happening when I’m shifting from N to D or even R in some cases. It’s at 0:20 in the video. I thought it might be the same as your problem based on your description. Thx
Yes, that rumble is similar to the noise I had in a Tiguan TDI, the garage diagnosed the DMF and said it should be changed before the clutch housing gets damaged. Not a cheap option. Hope you get this fixed. HNY!

Yes, that rumble is similar to the noise I had in a Tiguan TDI, the garage diagnosed the DMF and said it should be changed before the clutch housing gets damaged. Not a cheap option. Hope you get this fixed. HNY!
A battle with the warranty technicians will begin soon Hope they acknowledge the issues. Happy new year!

As an update, my gearbox noise was fixed by a simple software update, phew.
Hi Dave! I know that years have passed but I was trying to get enlightnement about this issue, I own a Audi S4 2017 and I hear a servomotor/electromechanic noise as you described when the car is running and engage from 2nd to 3rd gear and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

I am really OCD about this noise and your are the only one that described the issue as I detected on my car. How the update of the gearbox helped you with this issue?

It was something similar to this noise?

(Second 30 after the clacking noise)

I hope you can help to understand if this is something normal just to not be worry because this noise is killing me...

Thank you in advance Dave!