S-tronic feels much faster than manual!

Demari46

Reaction score
After owning a manual s3 for 6 months from new, I decided to trade it in for two reasons, one being the standard suspension is shocking, two being the manual box is very poor (my opinion)
The s tronic feels so strong, it feels a fair wack quicker than my manual ever did. I'm very happy with it :)

Reactions: S3 Turbo, pburv, HawkeyeS3 and 1 other person
If you look in the brochure, the performance of the s-tronic models is slightly quicker than the manual versions.

Having now had s-tronic, I wouldn't go back to a manual personally. The flappy paddles are great fun to use for a bit of scratching (once you get used to using them) in any case!

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Scottyg and pburv
If you look in the brochure, the performance of the s-tronic models is slightly quicker than the manual versions.

Having now had s-tronic, I wouldn't go back to a manual personally. The flappy paddles are great fun to use for a bit of scratching (once you get used to using them) in any case!
+1
My last two cars - Mk1 Audi TT, and an E92 M3 have both had twin-clutch boxes, and I, too, will never go back to a manual again. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that you can leave them in "auto" if that`s all you`re in the mood for, especially in heavy traffic, but can play with the paddles instead when you want to have some extra fun.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Out of interest what suspension is different on the new one...I assume you went for mag ride?

Have you noticed any difference in the noise it makes vs the manual? I'm still 50-50 on s-tronic or manual next....I like my manual and don't want to make the change and regret it. When I had the R8 for the day I didn't feel as involved with the drive, even when using the paddles. Then when I had the RS3 for a few hours, it annoyed me when I accelerated slightly just to pass a car on the motorway and it kicked down when I didn't want/need it to.

Reactions: pburv
S32b
I know what you mean. I am 6 months in and am loving it. It might sound odd , but you sort of learn how to use the stronic. The combinations of auto , paddles , slipping into sport , using in manual and changing modes ( i have this on the star button). It makes it very adaptable. If it was auto only without the other stuff i would fo back to manual. With it once you learn it is a car of many flavours

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Pook, S32B and 3 others
Out of interest what suspension is different on the new one...I assume you went for mag ride?

Have you noticed any difference in the noise it makes vs the manual? I'm still 50-50 on s-tronic or manual next....I like my manual and don't want to make the change and regret it. When I had the R8 for the day I didn't feel as involved with the drive, even when using the paddles. Then when I had the RS3 for a few hours, it annoyed me when I accelerated slightly just to pass a car on the motorway and it kicked down when I didn't want/need it to.
Sorry for late reply bud.
The s tronic is so so much better than the msnaul in my eyes! Takes some getting used to tho, you really do have to learn how to drive one.

I had the standard s3 suspension on my manual and I hated it, it skipped and hopped over anything that wasn't silk smooth! I chose to spec the s tronic with the mag ride, at first I thought, is is worth the 1k price tag, but as soon as I drove my new car I realised that this system was light years ahead of what I expected! Throw the car in to a corner and the thing stiffens up immediately, (in auto mode) then softens as soon as your driving normally again! I think it's worth every penny :)

Reactions: S32B, pburv, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Sorry for late reply bud.
The s tronic is so so much better than the msnaul in my eyes! Takes some getting used to tho, you really do have to learn how to drive one.

I had the standard s3 suspension on my manual and I hated it, it skipped and hopped over anything that wasn't silk smooth! I chose to spec the s tronic with the mag ride, at first I thought, is is worth the 1k price tag, but as soon as I drove my new car I realised that this system was light years ahead of what I expected! Throw the car in to a corner and the thing stiffens up immediately, (in auto mode) then softens as soon as your driving normally again! I think it's worth every penny :)

Tried the launch control yet?

I've had stronic on current s3 and last Audi tts. Love it to bits. Car was in the dealers for 3 days last week and they gave me a manual A3. Nice car but As soon as I drove it I couldn't imagine ever going back to manual. It's much nicer having the auto with paddle shifts.

If it's possible ask the dealer for an extended drive ie a few days in an A3 with dsg .As a few have said you need to learn how to get the best out of the box. The situation you mentioned about overtaking would not have happened if you had kept it in manual mode..:friends:

As a few have said you need to learn how to get the best out of the box. The situation you mentioned about overtaking would not have happened if you had kept it in manual mode..:friends:

From what I recall if it was in manual mode and not used for a while it flicked back to auto mode, then on the overtake that's when it kicked down when I didn't want it to! Like you and others have said, it must be a learning curve :)

The situation you mentioned about overtaking would not have happened if you had k̷e̷p̷t̷ ̷i̷t̷ ̷i̷n̷ ̷m̷a̷n̷u̷a̷l̷ ̷m̷o̷d̷e̷ saved the cost of flights to the US for a decent holiday and bought a manual:friends:

Edited for alternative but often slightly controversial point of view. :wink:

*immediately runs away and hides with other members of Brunellian manual cog swapping appreciation society. Mechatronics indeed. Pfft, back in my day etc...*

Reactions: Max-Robbo, pburv and NickyF
I've ranted on several other threads regarding my dislike for the stronic gearbox so I won't try to ruin your automatic love in, but the stronic is not faster than a manual. It changes gear faster than you can with a manual so gets to 60 fractionally quicker but when in gear it's exactly the same. I'd bet the manual box is lighter so if anything, full throttle in gear, the manual is faster. Fuel - > Fire.

Had my stronic around the Lake District last few days and I have to say it's turned me from a doubter to a lover. I wasn't really sold on it before, but having put it through its paces on a sticky wicket it certainly came up trumps, was v impressed. Only downside to driving round the lakes was my front end looked like a flies graveyard after two days, took some shifting!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
I've ranted on several other threads regarding my dislike for the stronic gearbox so I won't try to ruin your automatic love in, but the stronic is not faster than a manual. It changes gear faster than you can with a manual so gets to 60 fractionally quicker but when in gear it's exactly the same. I'd bet the manual box is lighter so if anything, full throttle in gear, the manual is faster. Fuel - > Fire.

*pokes head out from behind heavy gauge wrought iron hot riveted parapet*

At present perhaps, but;

MY17 S3
Manual 310PS / 380NM 6speed
Auto 310PS / 400NM 7speed

New S3 Auto gets more, and snappier (albeit more boring and laced with overtones of mechanical flatulence) gearchanges, AND 5.3% more twistiness.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Edited for alternative but often slightly controversial point of view. :wink:

*immediately runs away and hides with other members of Brunellian manual cog swapping appreciation society. Mechatronics indeed. Pfft, back in my day etc...*
Nah..I've been to the States many times and I can assure you I much prefer Stronic than jet lag.....lol
But thanks for the edit anyhow......:haha:

Reactions: GSB
From what I recall if it was in manual mode and not used for a while it flicked back to auto mode, then on the overtake that's when it kicked down when I didn't want it to! Like you and others have said, it must be a learning curve :)
It will stay in manual mode until the revs drop low enough to stall the engine at which point it will put it into 1st gear..:yes:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Heavy traffic,around town s-tronic, b Road manual,plus ye get a little bit back on yer investment of the Expensive s-tronic as the residuals are higher it's also more desirable if you wish to sell it on privately

Heavy traffic,around town s-tronic, b Road manual,plus ye get a little bit back on yer investment of the Expensive s-tronic as the residuals are higher it's also more desirable if you wish to sell it on privately
Lol.The amount of threads regarding Stronic and manual makes me chuckle.Wonder what the score is between them ie The plus and minus posts about them...:readit:

Lol.The amount of threads regarding Stronic and manual makes me chuckle.Wonder what the score is between them ie The plus and minus posts about them...:readit:

Yeah mate this forum can get tediously boring at times especially the now

For once jassy I totally agree with you, very very boring...

For once jassy I totally agree with you, very very boring...

A wee injection of photos from new members facelift cars would be nice l am looking forward to these

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
Talking of tedious..:whistle2: Any news on your new motor?...lol
Not a frickin clue mate and when l do l won't be uttering a word :shutup2:about it,until l post a thread and photos of it.....:friends:

Reactions: pburv and SpeedyFrog

Reactions: G--Man, Cairnsy13, jimojameso and 4 others
Audi's can be a touch dull to drive at times.
Manual improves the involvement factor.
In my opinion a good thing.

Manual and mag ride the best two options on the 8v if you are into driving.

If you want the 0-60 pub bragging rights auto's the one for you.

The reason I say it's feels faster is because it is faster, town driving feels a lot faster! After all, you don't slam the manual up and down the gears in everyday driving do you? That's what you'd have to do to make it as quick as the s tronic. Is that a fair point or not guys?

I don't really understand that but you've had both so I guess you're in a better position to judge.

Mate, if you just flick on the paddles to activate manual mode then yes, it will revert back to auto after a short time, if you don`t use them again.
However, to keep it permanently in manual mode you need to flick the stick over to the left yourself, whilst in either drive, or sport, and if you do that, it will stay permanently in manual until you flick the stick back again yourself...

Basically, you get the best of both worlds, ie; if you just want to decide the gear for yourself briefly, and use the paddles, then it will let you, but unless you actually change to manual modes, it effectively takes you at your word, and thinks you just wanted manual briefly, and so reverts back to auto not long after.

As I said - best of both worlds ! :sunglasses:

Reactions: James__S3, Cairnsy13 and pburv
Mate, if you just flick on the paddles to activate manual mode then yes, it will revert back to auto after a short time, if you don`t use them again.
However, to keep it permanently in manual mode you need to flick the stick over to the left yourself, whilst in either drive, or sport, and if you do that, it will stay permanently in manual until you flick the stick back again yourself...

As I said - best of both worlds ! :sunglasses:
Ahhh right, thanks for that, I'll try it next time I take one out ;)

Can you also change up and down by nudging the gear stick forward and back as well once in the manual position? I drove a Mercedes wagon years back that just had a joystick type selector that just nudged forward and back to change gear, that was good.

Last edited:
Ahhh right, thanks for that, I'll try it next time I take one out ;)

Can you also change up and down by nudging the gear stick forward and back as well once in the manual position? I drove Mercedes wagon years back that just had a joystick type selector that just nudged forward and back to change gear, that was good.
Yes mate...:racer:

Reactions: S32B