S-tronic/Drivetrain problem in new S3

Toadoftoadhall

Reaction score
After just over 3 weeks and 1400 miles I seem to have an issue with my S3 :3sadwalk:

Several times yesterday I noticed an unusual sound when driving - wasnt quite sure as it was only a couple of times and it was hard to hear but it was enough to arouse my suspicions. There was no noticeable difference to how the car drove.

Then today on an 80 mile trip home - over B and A roads (including dual carriageway) i had the sound system off for the whole trip to give me chance to hear any odd noises.

It was really good to hear the engine sound for the whole trip :) but the bad news was that several times I heard the odd sound again, sometimes a bit of rattle sound and sometimes a bit of what i only describe as a graunching sound - as if something is rubbing or too tight? This seemed to happen when under acceleration and going uphill.

Further checking on local roads (with a passenger as an ear witness) showed that the sound could be regularly reproduced when in 3/4/5 gear but with revs quite low - around 1600 rpm up to about 2400 rpm - under slight to medium acceleraton and it again seemed more often when going uphill. It really is a disconcerting sound and does not sound healthy. The performance of the car doesnt seem to be affected at all. This happens in manual mode and D mode (and seemingly any drive select setting). I havent noticed it in Sport mode - probably because revs are that much higher and also the problem sound is quite subtle so with louder engine noise I probably wouldnt notice it.

Also I think with sound system on you wouldnt notice it either.

I have rung my dealer and they want the car on monday morning and want me to demonstrate the issue to a technician. I had a search on this forum but couldnt seem to find anything similar?

I think it must be something to do with s-tronic box, the haldex or drive shafts?

I thought I would share my issue in case anyone has had anything similar? or give other s-tronic S3 owners the heads up just in case.

From what I've read there are quite a few dsg boxes on different manufacturers cars that rattle..

I have a mild vibration/rattle in similar conditions. I have a manual tdi though.

I've read that a slight misalignment of the driveshaft can cause it. I'm going to get my booked in ASAP.

My 1.4 COD S-tronic is going back to the dealer next week

I've recently noticed a sporadic rubbing noise, sounds like a belt slipping ?

The noise appears when not quite at a complete standstill and you accelerate. Also manifests itself when pulling away up a slope.

The technician at Audi has heard the noise on a test drive isn't sure what's causing it, suggested it maybe the gearbox and the car may have to be with them for a week.

Does the rattle sound like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the rattle sound like this?
No it's not like that noise Veeight.

It was only a slight rattle a couple times. More of a graunching ! ( bit of a low pitched squeal almost) very hard to describe. Perhaps I can try a video/ sound recording over the weekend.

Yes it could be more of a rubbing noise xrkt77 although I haven't noticed it from pulling away only when already driving and as said when revs are about 1600 the noise will start and last until about 2400rpm.

Might not be the same problem but I had a loud noise after 10 mins of picking up my car. Further checks showed it was the sound deadening in the wheel arch had come away and was rubbing the tyre

the wet clutch dsg6 in the s3 is usually very quiet ,unlike the dry clutch dsg7 as shown below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo those 7 speeders sound nasty!

I've noticed a very slight metallic noise between those same revs on my S3. I usually have the radio on so don't usually hear it but yesterday I didn't and I heard it. I just thought mine was normal to be honest, something like a slight heatshield rattle maybe but really nothin for me to worry about. I wonder if I have a "lite" version of your problem?

I do hope it's something silly like a heat shield rattle or rub. Only driven about 20 miles today and for first part of journey couldn't hear any repeat of the noise. Once it was warmed up I heard it a few times but not quite as obvious as yesterday. I am wondering as I had done 80 plus miles yesterday if the issue is worse with more temperature? Even at worst it's not been especially loud and you wouldnt hear it over the sound system even on a fairly low volume.

Oh well. I will keep you posted on what the service dept say on Monday.

I am coming from a CVT A4 2.0T and this S3 STronic box does sound very mechanical. The CVT box is barely audible. There are times u can hear the gearbox (a bit of rattle and light clunking) especially at low speeds and revs. The box does perform to expectations on hard throttle though.
That said, I am hoping that this is normal and will continue with that thought until/if it get worse. Ites been this way since new and am now doing 2500kms..

Sorry for lack of updates for some time. A major update though on what I think is the same issue?

This issue was never solved and remained as an occasional intermittent problem. A few times it seemed to affect the drive of the car ie revs increasing without proportionate increase in road speed at same time as this graunchy type sound. Like the clutch or drivetrain was slipping. I would have weeks of no problems at all then just an odd reoccurrence of this issue/noise. My S3 has done 5500 miles now -including some long trips and including a fantastic 300 mile blast around some of the best Welsh roads - so my car has been thoroughly tested in all manner of driving conditions and 99% of the time it's been superb and an absolute joy.

Then over the past few days this issue has returned - more regularly and culminated in a breakdown yesterday afternoon which started with this graunchy noise and again a feeling that the revs were going higher and out of proportion with roadspeed before copious amounts of smoke out of back end then loss of power and shut down as soon as I pulled over.

After 3 hrs at the roadside - Car recovered to Audi garage where it's being looked at today. Recovery man reckoned it was turbo failure? There was no oil dropped on road at all so I can see why he would think that as where did all that smoke come from if it wasn't from within engine itself. But really strange how the actual drive has been affected with this sensation of revs going too high for actual speed as if it's slipping somehow? Which is why I was thinking it is a gearbox or quattro drive train issue? But engine would not restart when recovery man arrived either so if it was drivetrain/gearbox why wouldn't engine start? No particular warning lights either and his laptop plugged in said no fault codes either!
:think:

PS when I did take the car into the dealer in early April I think - they found nothing wrong. Mechanic came with me on a test drive, they inspected car, they plugged it in to computer to check for fault codes etc nothing. They couldn't do any more other than log it and assure me it had warranty for if the issue got worse!

Crikey - sounds really odd. Interested to hear what they say once diagnosed. Hope thye get it sorted quickly for you.

Maybe a massive clutch failure? That might explain the feeling that something was slipping the engine relative to the road speed. Maybe the clutch has disintegrated and locked the engine and roadwheels together so that it's not possible to turn the engine over?

Update from dealer. They reckon Turbo has gone but that doesn't really explain (in my mind) the recent "slipping" type sensations. I guess the turbo could have made that graunchy shrieky noise though? They cannot test anything else anyway until they get the engine running. Perhaps it's two issues or my over sensitive mind in response to the strange graunchy noise. I did get a vid a while ago but think it was so brief it didn't show much. I will check it.

Thanks v8. Interesting especially with other bits needing fixing not just the turbo especially the cat.

I went to my dealer yesterday and spoke to mechanic dealing with my S3. He is waiting for new turbo unit on order from Germany. I showed him a short video i had taken of my intermittent noise issue about a month or so ago. He is conviced that the noise and sensation i was experiencing is all down to a turbo issue. The noise and the way it affected the drive does seem to add up. He noticed on the video that at the time the noise is heard there is no turbo boost all all. I will try and work out a way of posting the vid. I will have to trim the clip first as its quite long. It does appear that the turbo intermittently failing to work properly would make the power vary considerably hence the sensation of the actual drive being affected - feeling likes its resisted then putting foot down more to compensate and then turbo kicking back in and car eventually picking up.
I am busy working today. I will see what i can do with a video this eve.