S tronic box question

Philb65

Reaction score
I’ve got a 45tfsi Quattro avant on order and when I test drove the car I thought the box was pretty good, responsive and smooth.

There’s a thread on detailing world where a guy has a 9 month old A4 tfsi stronic and he’s saying that there’s a 1sec plus lag when pulling off from junctions if he floors it which is dangerous when pulling out into fast traffic. Also a 3sec plus delay going from drive to reverse. I can’t say I noticed either of these issues but I dont think I booted it from standstill. Definitely didn’t notice the d to r delay.

Are these problems people see in day to day driving?

Any thoughts welcome, just after a bit of reassurance regarding the stronic performance as this will be my first auto.

Cheers Phil

I'd be fascinated to see how this version performs against the 40 TDi - has 41 more PS but 30Nm less torque.
Could be my next one in around 2 years....

Going for it as my mileage isn’t that high and performance is pretty swift. Who knows how much more demonisation of diesel will happen so better safe than sorry and no dpf worries. Can’t see the lower torque being that noticeable but I’ll let you know when it arrives.

Any thoughts on the box question?

I do notice a slight lag when pulling away from junctions/roundabouts, putting the box into 'S' mode helps a lot. I haven't really floored it from a standstill.

Not noticed any lag going from 'D' to 'R' though.

Reactions: Philb65
Thanks Dave. I’m not planning to drag race it so I’m hoping it will be fine!

Reactions: DaveW
The 'lag' with dsg boxes is well documented and, as with any non manual gearbox it never is perfect. To call it dangerous, in my experience, is somewhat over the top and once you get used to this trait that dsg boxes all have you'll probably not notice it.
As DaveW has suggested there are ways and means to avoid it if needs be.
I have never had any issues going from d to r and back again either.

The problem with most forums is that the majority of people who post in them tend do so because they have 'issues', thus it is easy to see a bias towards these issues when, in the majority, there isn't.

Reactions: pp2414
What spec/colour have you ordered and when are you expecting it?

Haven’t gone mad on the options, it’s an Sline tech pack in Daytona Grey. Has enough bells and whistles for me with just my poverty spec! A lot of the other options were nice to have but come trade in time they are worthless from my experience so I haven’t bothered this time. Got a decent discount of 22% so pretty pleased with the deal. Build week is apparently 15 so according to the dealer it should be with them/me first or second week in May.

The 'lag' with dsg boxes is well documented and, as with any non manual gearbox it never is perfect. To call it dangerous, in my experience, is somewhat over the top and once you get used to this trait that dsg boxes all have you'll probably not notice it.
As DaveW has suggested there are ways and means to avoid it if needs be.
I have never had any issues going from d to r and back again either.

The problem with most forums is that the majority of people who post in them tend do so because they have 'issues', thus it is easy to see a bias towards these issues when, in the majority, there isn't.

Thanks for the reply. I’d never heard of it until the other day which had me panicking a bit. I obviously hadn’t done enough research! My test drive was fine so I thought I’d just ask the question, although not wanting to open up a can of worms. The ‘dangerous’ bit was my concern.

Can't speak for other owners but I have always driven cars with a manual box and vowed never ever would I have a automatic or dsg version, considered them to be the devil's spawn. Yet I went into test driving with an open mind despite, and perhaps contrary to other opinions, as I found the gearbox in a BMW three series to be seamless but sluggish, I was pleasantly surprised.
Perhaps it is the manner in which other owners drive their cars and perhaps they drive to anticipate what cars are doing.
I don't know however this gearbox is a wonder when used with traffic jam assist and I now would not consider ever going back to a manual one again..

Reactions: Philb65
Can't speak for other owners but I have always driven cars with a manual box and vowed never ever would I have a automatic or dsg version, considered them to be the devil's spawn. Yet I went into test driving with an open mind despite, and perhaps contrary to other opinions, as I found the gearbox in a BMW three series to be seamless but sluggish, I was pleasantly surprised.
Perhaps it is the manner in which other owners drive their cars and perhaps they drive to anticipate what cars are doing.
I don't know however this gearbox is a wonder when used with traffic jam assist and I now would not consider ever going back to a manual one again..
Ooh what’s traffic jam assist and how do I get it

Thanks cuke it’s my first auto and I think I’m a convert already from my test drives. Drove an e class which I just didn’t click with, a 5 series which was a good drive, box was very responsive but couldn’t get a decent deal, a Q5 which didn’t do it for me, I wasn’t keen on the driving position and then the A6 which ticked all the boxes. Never noticed any lag/delays so I think that’s my question answered.

Roll on May and thanks for your input.

Reactions: cuke2u
Agreed, if you drive in traffic, such as I do through the A25, it is a must...

Hi i changed oil in gear box on a6 2014 , was about 3 liters of oil ,i put back 4 and the car wont drive,can somebody help my with some advice?

Hi i changed oil in gear box on a6 2014 , was about 3 liters of oil ,i put back 4 and the car wont drive,can somebody help my with some advice?

Hi Andy,

Your in the wrong Forum section - this is for the 2019 c8 A6/7......

You probably need to post your question into the C7 A6 section, here.