S Tronic and VC questions

SamP97

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all, I saw on a clip of I think an RS3, that when the stick was knocked to the left and the guy was booting it, his Virtual Cockpit gave him a shift indicator on the rev counter, it went green then yellow around the 6/7k mark.

Is there any way to get this on an S3? I know we can get torque/power gauges like the RS3 however due to only showing 0/100% I decided against doing it, but if I could get the shift lights I'd be like a kid at Christmas!

Question number two, am I right in saying that the car uses 2nd gear the same as first in some situations, I have a sneaky feeling that while I was edging slightly uphill in stop start traffic that it was, car was showing D2 but felt like it was managing the clutch, revs were doing weird things in relation to power delivered to the wheels? It's not a problem as such I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed it?

Thanks!

I drove a works car in winter a few years ago, and I noticed it kept setting off in 2nd a lot. Someone told me it’s to stop wheel slip in cold temperatures, but don’t know how much truth there was in that

I've tried forcing my S3 into 2nd (stronic) but it doesn't do it. Not unless the car knows when it's in snow and changes up into 2nd for pulling off but I'm not aware of this. As for the shift lights, I don't believe it's possible yet but the guys in the know with VCDS are trying to code it.

The car can be deliberately driven way in 2nd gear in order to reduce the driving
power at the wheels on road surfaces with a low frictional coefficient, e.g. in wintry road conditions.
This makes drive-away easier, because the wheel traction is not exceeded as quickly.
This function can be activated by moving the selector lever back and forth several times between
selector lever positions "R" and "D".
The vehicle subsequently drives away in 2nd gear.

My S3 shows the green arrow indicators to change up a gear on the VC when in manual mode. I haven't done anything to unlock it. The arrows are quite small so you can easily miss them unless you know where to look

The car can be deliberately driven way in 2nd gear in order to reduce the driving
power at the wheels on road surfaces with a low frictional coefficient, e.g. in wintry road conditions.
This makes drive-away easier, because the wheel traction is not exceeded as quickly.
This function can be activated by moving the selector lever back and forth several times between
That's cool! Albeit a mighty strange way of activating it! Lol why not just let us use the paddles to put it in 2nd.

Did you find that in the owners manual? I'll have to try that! It's good to know how many times "several times" actually is

It comes from SSP 386, 6-speed twin-clutch gearbox 02E. Page 80. I assume the implementation is the same on all S-tronic gearboxes.

Reactions: azibux1
Good to know about freewheeling (I need to test this):

In models equipped with Audi drive select, the driver can select efficiency mode using the drive select button in the centre console or via the Car menu in the MMI depending on which infotainment systems are fitted (refer to page 58 ff.).

In models with dual clutch transmission, an E is displayed in the instrument cluster for the selector lever position if efficiency mode has been activated and the selector lever is in D.

Under these conditions, the dual clutch gearboxes attempt to open the clutches and interrupt power flow to the engine while the vehicle is coasting (in overrun). This action is based entirely on software in the gearbox and helps to save fuel, thereby increasing vehicle efficiency.

If the clutches are open, the text "Freewheel" is displayed in the instrument cluster instead of the momentary fuel consumption.

In addition to the aforementioned conditions, the following criteria are relevant to clutch opening:

• Vehicle speed between 20 kph and maximum speed
  • Accelerator position 0 % – power flow to the engine is interrupted directly after the 0 % accelerator position is detected and the last gearshift has been completed.
  • Gradient < 8 % – the gradient is measured by the longitudinal acceleration sensor of the brake electronics.

Shut-off conditions:

• The brake is depressed.
  • "tip minus" is selected on the steering wheel.
  • The selector lever is moved out of D.
  • The cruise control system is activated or is active. Activation or deactivation of the cruise control system does not constitute a shut-off condition.
  • Gradient > 15 %
  • When the vehicle is travelling downhill, it accelerates to faster than the cruise control system's set speed.

While the vehicle is freewheeling, the gearbox control unit preselects a gear suited to the speed at which the vehicle is travelling, thereby allowing the clutch to close comfortably at any time.

The engine speed drops to idle speed during the freewheeling phase. If the freewheeling phase occurs at a high vehicle speed, e.g. 180 kph, the engine takes between one and two seconds to achieve the required synchronisation speed.

From SSP 994609AG

That's actually pretty usful to know, cheers.

Although "back and forth several times" seems a bit vague?

I assume that D-R-D would be enough to engage second gear .

Good to know about freewheeling (I need to test this):

In models equipped with Audi drive select, the driver can select efficiency mode using the drive select button in the centre console or via the Car menu in the MMI depending on which infotainment systems are fitted (refer to page 58 ff.).

In models with dual clutch transmission, an E is displayed in the instrument cluster for the selector lever position if efficiency mode has been activated and the selector lever is in D.

Under these conditions, the dual clutch gearboxes attempt to open the clutches and interrupt power flow to the engine while the vehicle is coasting (in overrun). This action is based entirely on software in the gearbox and helps to save fuel, thereby increasing vehicle efficiency.

If the clutches are open, the text "Freewheel" is displayed in the instrument cluster instead of the momentary fuel consumption.

In addition to the aforementioned conditions, the following criteria are relevant to clutch opening:

• Vehicle speed between 20 kph and maximum speed
  • Accelerator position 0 % – power flow to the engine is interrupted directly after the 0 % accelerator position is detected and the last gearshift has been completed.
  • Gradient < 8 % – the gradient is measured by the longitudinal acceleration sensor of the brake electronics.

Shut-off conditions:

• The brake is depressed.
  • "tip minus" is selected on the steering wheel.
  • The selector lever is moved out of D.
  • The cruise control system is activated or is active. Activation or deactivation of the cruise control system does not constitute a shut-off condition.
  • Gradient > 15 %
  • When the vehicle is travelling downhill, it accelerates to faster than the cruise control system's set speed.

While the vehicle is freewheeling, the gearbox control unit preselects a gear suited to the speed at which the vehicle is travelling, thereby allowing the clutch to close comfortably at any time.

The engine speed drops to idle speed during the freewheeling phase. If the freewheeling phase occurs at a high vehicle speed, e.g. 180 kph, the engine takes between one and two seconds to achieve the required synchronisation speed.

From SSP 994609AG

Mine doesn't show freewheeling but it definitely does 'coast'.

Reactions: Mark_86

Just tried this and it does not work.

My S3 shows the green arrow indicators to change up a gear on the VC when in manual mode. I haven't done anything to unlock it. The arrows are quite small so you can easily miss them unless you know where to look
Where on the VC dash does it show these arrows? Haven't noticed them when in manual mode.

Just tried this and it does not work.

I think it only works on the 6 speed S Tronic gear box as R was on the same clutch as 1st, so moving quickly from R to D meant 2nd was selected as the other clutch hadn't time to change from R to 1st and then re-engage.
On the 7 speed boxes R and 1st are on different clutches.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Steaman
That sounds plausible. But the need to reduce the driving
power
in wintry road conditions
is the same. It must be possible to start on the 2nd gear.

Where on the VC dash does it show these arrows? Haven't noticed them when in manual mode.

It shows it on the right just next to the gear display, so for example mine was showing E2 then the small green arrow. It only seems to show it if you aren't hoofing it. More like a hint that you are wasting economy but don't seem to be accelerating hard. It also doesn't show down as it automatically goes down a gear in this situation.

On my old A4 you used to have to allow "economy tips". I haven't knowingly done this on the S3

It shows it on the right just next to the gear display, so for example mine was showing E2 then the small green arrow. It only seems to show it if you aren't hoofing it. More like a hint that you are wasting economy but don't seem to be accelerating hard. It also doesn't show down as it automatically goes down a gear in this situation.

On my old A4 you used to have to allow "economy tips". I haven't knowingly done this on the S3
Cheers mate will have a look ;)

If it’s of any help my PFL rs3 in normal auto mode will pull away at an almost standstill in 2 gear. Don’t have VC but a green arrow indicates When to shift up on manual mode.

Start from standstill on 2:nd gear is not working for me either.

Freewheeling is working as described.
When driving the gear indicator display E4 is i drive on forth gear and when the clutches are open the Display change to only E and the text "Freewheel" is displayed in the instrument cluster instead of the momentary fuel consumption.

I don't see the word Freewheel when the car is coasting. Is that on the VC?

You need to select the correct menu in the instrument cluster. I don't remember if it is trip computer or assistance systems.

Hi guys, given the expertise in gearbox operaatoon above, can you verify this ?
An Audi tech told me the 6 speed dsg will not go down to 1st as fhe car slows down, until it actually comes to a halt, and that the gearbox is coded to Reduce power delivery when the steering wheel is more that 10deg off center, to stop wheelspin At All times.
The problem i have is that my A3 quattro is so unresponsive at roundabouts and give way intersections, have had several near misses when trying to break into traffic. This issue alao affects the Gears even in Sport mode.
Can you comment on this ?

Hi mate the gearbox in my 2015 rs3 does the very same thing. Quite annoying especially if you was in D or auto and approaching a red light that you knew was going to turn green. So since day one of ownership I drive the car in manual mode 99% of the time and can control what gear I want more than the car can. Only use D on very long motor way runs.

Reactions: Jassyo06
In manual dsg won't select 2nd until at least approx 10mph. Try it below that and it won't shift gear. Literally never heard of the car pulling away in 2nd. It will quickly change from 1st to 2nd though.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81
Hi guys, given the expertise in gearbox operaatoon above, can you verify this ?
An Audi tech told me the 6 speed dsg will not go down to 1st as fhe car slows down, until it actually comes to a halt, and that the gearbox is coded to Reduce power delivery when the steering wheel is more that 10deg off center, to stop wheelspin At All times.
The problem i have is that my A3 quattro is so unresponsive at roundabouts and give way intersections, have had several near misses when trying to break into traffic. This issue alao affects the Gears even in Sport mode.
Can you comment on this ?
Use manual shift then as you can flare the revs to 1st when still moving?

TX.

Reactions: DW81
Change the throttle map using Carista beta for a direct map. Removes most of this issue but be prepared for a slight increase in fuel consumption

29176742bf5717a984b7f44be383440a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use manual shift then as you can flare the revs to 1st when still moving?

TX.

Hi Terminator, No, the manual shift is also locked out ( at least via the f-paddles), the only way I can drop into 1st under 7kph is to switch to Sport mode via the gear stick. it drops back with a clunk as the car comes to a near-halt but gives me access to much needed torque to pull away quickly.

However, having just changed the Throttle Response Behaviour to the Direct-Treshold option with OBD11, it is SOOO much better as you say, there's now a smoother more predictable response to pedal input. Thks for the info.

Reactions: gringosteve
Change the throttle map using Carista beta for a direct map. Removes most of this issue but be prepared for a slight increase in fuel consumption

29176742bf5717a984b7f44be383440a.jpg

HI Gringo, do you knwo if it is possible to change the Drive Select "Individual" settings, to have more options ?
The modules are Steering, Suspension, Engine and Gearbox, The defaults are Auto, Sport, Efficiency, Comfort;
I want to adjust the level of 'assistance' in the Steering to make it a bit more 'direct' when in Comfort mode ?

Additionally, anyone know how the Auto (learning) mode actually works, to allow the car to learn your driving style and adjust accordingly; ideally I want the engine to be more throttle responsive so it drops back a gear quickly with only medium throttle input, rather than the present behaviour where gearbox/engine operation seems to be weighted towards Efficiency ( slow and laggy response to hills, throttle input, steering). When in finally decides to drop back, it drops 2 gears back so you get a kick and slingshot effect ( hopefully this will now be less dramatic with the Direct Throttle change ? Will test and report back).

Sport mode is great BUT, 2nd and 3rd gears will not change up until 4k RPM is reached, regardless of load or duration in fixed speed, which is pointless in suburban driving; in Auto mode, the car wants to stay in 4th at 25kph ( 1800RPM) but cannot pull away at all, so it dumps to 2nd and jerks forward, crappy experience really.

Hi Terminator, No, the manual shift is also locked out ( at least via the f-paddles), the only way I can drop into 1st under 7kph is to switch to Sport mode via the gear stick. it drops back with a clunk as the car comes to a near-halt but gives me access to much needed torque to pull away quickly.

However, having just changed the Throttle Response Behaviour to the Direct-Treshold option with OBD11, it is SOOO much better as you say, there's now a smoother more predictable response to pedal input. Thks for the info.
Weird how the RS3 is different as you can drop to first on the move, will bounce off the limiter etc.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I haven’t seen anything to change behaviour in each mode. If you find sport gearing a bit crazy why not select Dynamic and put gearbox into D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro