S line steering wheel - issues with connector

Muran

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am an owner of Audi A6 C7 2012 since last 3 months. I really wanted to swap my steering wheel from 4-spoke to S line 3-spoke wheel. Prices were starting from £250 but I managed to find on Gumtree for £170 delivered. I did asked a seller and he said that wheel will fit A6. He was partially right as wheel fit without a problem, however an airbag doesn't.

There were two problems which I kind of resolved but I still can't use a buttons on steering wheel.

1. Connector had a little bit different shape - I had to cut some plastic on side to managed to fit it.
BTW - Does someone know if I can but a new plastic plug for airbag only?

2. Cables were in different pins - my old airbag had 2 more cables + I have a brown cable in new air bag but old one has a grey. I did manage to remove and swap cable extractors to mirror my old airbag.
Result ? Horn started working.

I would like to add that when I plug in my old airbag to new wheel, then everything works perfect.

I am sure that brown cable is an issue - in old airbag is connected to two places, then extended by using grey wire.

Any recommendations guys? I really don't want to but different airbag...
I did as a seller and wheel came from Q3.

I attach pictures of old and new airbag and picture of old plug.

Thanks for your help in advance.

IiA4Iok.jpg

Marcin

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_135904.jpg
    IMG_20190602_135904.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 389
  • IMG_20190608_162210.jpg
    IMG_20190608_162210.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 623
  • IMG_20190608_162216.jpg
    IMG_20190608_162216.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 286
Last edited by a moderator:
The problem you have is that while steering wheels may fit across a wide range of cars, airbags don't and are specific to a particular model range.

Your old A6 airbag is what's known as a Two Stage Bag - in other words its a two stage inflation of the bag in the event of an accident. The new airbag is a Single Stage Bag.

Airbags are life saving devices, and I do not recommend messing around with the wiring incase you trigger the explosive device.

You need to find a steering wheel, and airbag from similar model A6 C7 (or A7 C7)

Thank you for your reply Raf_S7.

I thought it will be an easy fix, but looks like these are completely different kind of airbags.

Does anyone have a picture of pins for Q3 as I didn't take one before change a extractors. Also do you know where can I buy a new plug? I want to put this back how it was and sell it to get my money back.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have sold steering wheel which was from Q3. I have bought S line steering wheel from 2016 A6 (dual stage airbag).
Everything looks fine, however buyer didn't add airbag wire. I was going to use one from my old steering wheel but there is one extra wire which was connected to metal frame of airbag but I don't have anything to plug in, in new one. Please see attached picture where wire should be plugged in, based on my old airbag picture.

Would it still works fine without plug in this connector? Everything else looks the same.

Thanks
Regards,
Marcin

Attachments

• IMG_20190814_113134.jpg
    IMG_20190814_113134.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 388