S-Line snapped Spring

shanusascarabus

Reaction score
Hi gents, whilst I am looking around for the correct info I thought I would post in the hope that somebody can point me in the right direction.
So due to the Great British roads I had my front drivers side spring snap on me yesterday and thought it would be a simple swap, however on looking at the usual places like ECP and other online suppliers I am struggling to buy a part with any confidence due to conflicting information... or maybe its just me being rubbish.
The spring on my car is the Green-Grey-Green spring on the ( audi part number ) 1T0 413 031 CF damper.
I wanted to stick to original parts if possible, the damper is Sachs ( Audi stamped ) so I am guessing the spring is also sachs..... however even when I go to sachs website I am struggling to find the correct spring for my car, and too many choices with dampers.... please help !!
Oh and just for reference my car is a Diesel

Cheers Guys

Try a message to Damian @DPM

Reactions: DPM and shanusascarabus
After speaking to somebody at Eurocarparts I have been assured that the Audi part number 8P0411105E ( Green-Grey-Green ) is in fact the Sachs part they stock with the stock/part number 627447560 relating to the S-Line, I since found this part on Ebay ( New/Old stock ) for £25 so worth a punt..... I will report back with my findings

I went down the 3rd party route on springs last year. All part numbers cross referenced, and they came back as the correct spring from number plate inputs, but when fitted they were terrible. The car was wallowy and unstable causing me to buy genuine parts from TPS and do the job again.
I've recently found that Genuine parts are by far the best option as it can often save you the time and expense of doing the job twice, especially if you are unable to get a refund on the parts.

Reactions: shanusascarabus
S-line suspension was never a good set up .

Time to go..

S l1000

feel free drop me a pm if you interested in a genuine option.

Thanks
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.... I did my local dealer for a genuine part quote that came back at £108 which prompted me to look at aftermarket.

S-line suspension was never a good set up .

Time to go..

View attachment 216094

Funny you say this, I came across a Eibach pro springs kit, band new for £115 delivered but then I'd really want to change dampers too and our dogs just cost us £1300 up to now at the vets
I went down the 3rd party route on springs last year. All part numbers cross referenced, and they came back as the correct spring from number plate inputs, but when fitted they were terrible. The car was wallowy and unstable causing me to buy genuine parts from TPS and do the job again.
I've recently found that Genuine parts are by far the best option as it can often save you the time and expense of doing the job twice, especially if you are unable to get a refund on the parts.

I am taking a gamble on this spring but it's only a £25 gamble.... throughout the day I have cross referenced the genuine confirmed Audi part number with the Sachs parts, which I believe are the OE suppliers.... worst case scenario is it gets the car back on the road whilst I source either a genuine item or a set of Eibachs.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Hi gents, whilst I am looking around for the correct info I thought I would post in the hope that somebody can point me in the right direction.
So due to the Great British roads I had my front drivers side spring snap on me yesterday and thought it would be a simple swap, however on looking at the usual places like ECP and other online suppliers I am struggling to buy a part with any confidence due to conflicting information... or maybe its just me being rubbish.
The spring on my car is the Green-Grey-Green spring on the ( audi part number ) 1T0 413 031 CF damper.
I wanted to stick to original parts if possible, the damper is Sachs ( Audi stamped ) so I am guessing the spring is also sachs..... however even when I go to sachs website I am struggling to find the correct spring for my car, and too many choices with dampers.... please help !!

Cheers Guys
I’m on my 2nd diesel S Line now and the last time I needed a replacement when I got it from ECP it was the wrong one and it was for a sport model so it was too high when fitted. They had to be bought from Audi or TPS.

However if you’re considering Eibach springs then do it and do them all as is what I did. They’re cheap, they’re 5mm lower and they’re a lot more comfortable ride. You don’t need to change the dampers either, if the dampers haven’t failed then what is the point changing them yet.

Reactions: shanusascarabus
I'd be more interested in OP's mileage as dampers loose efficiency way before weeping .

+ all this as a minimum should be done in pairs , so he really needs two springs .

Eibach...

Reactions: abmat
I'd be more interested in OP's mileage as dampers loose efficiency way before weeping .

+ all this as a minimum should be done in pairs , so he really needs two springs .

Eibach...

Yeah my thinking on dampers is I have an almost 10 year old car with 97k on the clock so a refresh would be sensible at this age/mileage

Reactions: Gazwould
Mini update.... Had to order an impact wrench for the hub bolt.... finally arrived, removed the bolt no problem but then snapped one of the 3 bolts on the lower balljoint and disvovered the strut bearing ********... oh my days !!!.
So new lover balljoint and bearing ordered... along with a proper strut spreader tool

All back together now and back on the road... driving very steady for now till the paranoia of my work wears off.
As said previously I want to refresh the whole setup, even more so after seeing the rear springs so I will get to work on looking for full new suspension components.

I may be better off starting another thread but I will try here first....
After doing the spring as described above I seem to have developed a louder "knock/rattling" over uneven road surfaces ( always had slight sounds ).... the sound comes from driving both nearside and offside over bumps independently as well as both wheels on uneven ground.
It is not a heavyweight clunk but more of a lightweight rumble... i have re stripped and checked all my work and torque settings..... the droplinks 'seem' fine.. as in ball joints are nice and tight, new lower ball joint was fitted after a bolt sheared off so the only two components i can think of is steering arm and drive shaft.... would it be common to have an issue with either of these after changing a spring ??
The wheel hub did drop off the support when i was doing the spring and was only attached by the steering arm for a few moments but again I can see or feel no damage whatsoever.
the anti roll bar is also linked both sides but seem tight enough although there is corrosion on the clamping points....it would be easy to refresh the whole setup but obviously at cost... if anyone has any pointers id be most grateful

I may be better off starting another thread but I will try here first....
After doing the spring as described above I seem to have developed a louder "knock/rattling" over uneven road surfaces ( always had slight sounds ).... the sound comes from driving both nearside and offside over bumps independently as well as both wheels on uneven ground.
It is not a heavyweight clunk but more of a lightweight rumble... i have re stripped and checked all my work and torque settings..... the droplinks 'seem' fine.. as in ball joints are nice and tight, new lower ball joint was fitted after a bolt sheared off so the only two components i can think of is steering arm and drive shaft.... would it be common to have an issue with either of these after changing a spring ??
The wheel hub did drop off the support when i was doing the spring and was only attached by the steering arm for a few moments but again I can see or feel no damage whatsoever.
the anti roll bar is also linked both sides but seem tight enough although there is corrosion on the clamping points....it would be easy to refresh the whole setup but obviously at cost... if anyone has any pointers id be most grateful
I had a knocking noise when I did my coilovers and it was from the drop links. They seemed fine to the touch but would make a right noise when driving. As soon as I swapped them out for adjustable ones, they were fine.

If you can get a recording of the noise I can tell you if it's the same. But with suspension it could be anything. Did you torque everything to the correct amounts? Didn't miss any?

Thanks for the reply, yeah everything done up to the correct torque, I guess the only thing I didn't do was replace old bolts for new, other than the lower balljoint that came with new bolts, I guess its easy and cheap enough to replace the drop links just for elimination purposes but I was hoping to pinpoint the issue first.
The car is almost on 100k miles now and will be celebrating her 10th birthday in a few months I know the dampers will be due replacing, the rear springs are non original/aftermarket items ( maybe not even correct S-Line variant ) and have rusted like mad over the past couple of years so need a swap and i now have a new spring drivers side and a 100k spring on the other..... not a great mix and thats not taking into consideration the lower arms, ARB,and other suspension ancillaries :(

Well this is a first, I may have answered my own issue... on shopping around for droplinks I was reminded by the picture that the droplinks have elongated ends.... I am now doubting my own work and wondering if I homed the ARB and droplinks properly.... would make sense with the sound being worse after working in the area.

Cheers Guys
Hi I'm looking for a more comfortable suspension is this definitely s-line?

Attachments

• IMG20221130125048.jpg
    IMG20221130125048.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43