S Line Or Not

Jeez, sorry about that all, the joys of typing on an iPhone with a broken arm......

Am in the throws of buying an A4 2.0t fsi avant, and everything going well until I noticed it's advertised as an s line, And when did the hpi check, it came back as saying s line..... All good you would say..... Except it has Zero s line badging anywhere - inc the steering wheel and dashboard.... Dealer is saying that the guy that owned it before me did the no badge option and got the MFSW option also - hence no badges......

It's a peach of a car, but this is just niggling me...... Is there anything else that would tell me that it's def an s line????

Cheers all!

I could be wrong but it should have black head lining, or even LED daytime running lights/HIDs.

No to the black headlining.... Daylight lamps yes, but don't believe they are led.

Am I permitted to post a link for you all to have a look for yourselves?

I honestly didn't care if it was an se or s line, but now that it's been brought to my attention it's starting to grind on me!!! Could the V5 be wrong?

Yea I can't see anything wrong with posting a link if your looking some help mate.

My thoughts exactly! When I looked at it I thought it was an se, but now the V5 states S line, I'm not sure if it's a mistake by DVLA or if the car has potentially been cloned.....

Have put a £500 deposit on it - do you think I'm within my rights to ask for it back?

It has all the bits I was looking for, loving the b&o, only thing missing was leather, but I'll trade that for non freezing bits in the winter.....

Was happy to buy it as an SE, but I'm thinking that if I noticed, someone else would and it would potentially be a problem if I went to sell it on in a few years......

Torn...

Think I'd do a little more research on the car, maybe one of those car check sites, would even contact DVLA for info, it defo sounds as if there is something wrong. It may be genuine but it has no s-line features that I can see, take a look in the photo thread and you'll see what I mean, plenty of s-line's and se's to compare with.

JG

I think the seats are sline, definitely not standard SE front seats comparing to the ones I've seen

I read somewere that there was 3 different versions of the s-line so maybe it is but the base one speced up the seats are s-line

Its an SE with quite a few upgrades.

.... but at the end of the day it's still manufactured as an SE, an Audi dealer could check the VIN and you can see if the build matches.

I have had vehicles with errors on the model or colour section of the V5, once its on DVLA's database it gets into all the other databases and is a right chew to sort out. Causes insurance and VED issues until sorted.

Its an easy mistake to make as you fill out the V55/5 and the bod in Swansea just blindly keys it in and voila, out comes a V5(c) with the wrong details and the database is wrong.

This has no S-Line blades on doors, front bumper has SE fog grill's, alloys I think are standard for an SE and the height of the overall stance of the car looks SE.
Just a few of my observations as a previous SE owner.
JG

To buy or not to buy????! Seems an ok price and spec for an SE, with S line seats....got a good trade in for mine, and would have been happy with it, but is it much of a faff to change the DVLA stuff, or should I just leave it???

G

It does seem like a good well spec'd SE, to put your mind at rest, I'd get vin number and get Audi dealer to check it out as Zafi suggested. You should know for sure what your paying for, especially when s-line's normally go for a little more £'s, maybe a bargaining tool with seller to drop price a bit, if you don't ask, you don't get. ;)

Reactions: Point_Audi
100% an Se. The steering wheel is Se. Slines are all 3 spokes regardless of options. It's probably a error on the dvla behalf. I have had issues before where a old Passat was Down as tdi where it was a petrol. Took a long time to sort going backwards with vw and dvla. Looks a well specced car though.

Well that's definitely an SE, different seats though as they aren't the same as mine.

If you're buying the car to keep it standard I'd buy an s-line but if you are willing to spend some money on modifying it then an SE can be had for a good price

Reactions: SI-W85
Dealer is investigating, but I think I'm in agreement with you - seems to be an SE, but with Sline / sports seats.

Quick supplementary question, from what I can gather, think this engine has a chain so doesn't need to be changed as per the belt at 5 yr / 100k miles?

Thanks,
Gordon

There's a sticker on the inside front cover of the service record, full of vehicle data (VIN, engine, gearbox, paint, option codes etc.).

Somewhere near the top is a field for 'Sales Type' (or similar). They're in the format: 4F50AC / 5M1031 / 8L1054.

If you can post that up, we should be able to tell you what Ingolstadt/Neckarsulm say it is.

R

Actually, while PR codes aren't necessarily the most reliable way to check (unless you've got them all, that is (and then you might as well check Type)); Zobware's suggestion might provide a quick check.

I *think* the PR code 'E4J' is common across the range for S-Line.. [Perhaps a B8 S-Line respondent might confirm if it follows for the current crop of A4s]

Maybe you can ask the dealer to check the vehicle data sticker for that in the block of PR codes? (BTW, there's a second sticker in the spare-wheel well)

R

All thanks for your help, Audi have confirmed to the dealer that it is in fact an SE, so it does look like the car has been wrongly DVLA'd. Which now throws up a can of worms. . . . to buy or not to buy - gonna look at a few other cars on that dealers website and have a sleep on it......

Again thanks for all your help - hopefully will buy an Audi again at some stage, and be in a position to gloat / help you with a few questions!

Reactions: FactionOne, RS5 JON and Brennan