S-Line 170 TDI or Sport 170 Quattro

Davidb67

Reaction score
Madness perhaps, but despite it's faults, and the fact that I haven't been having to pick up the tabs (co. car), I'm thinking about another A3 (along with some other possibilities) when I'm due to choose a replacement in March `08.
At the moment (our car lists changes twice a year) I could get an S-line 170TDi S-Tronic, or a Sport 170 Quattro. Unfortunately, CANT get S-Line 170 Quattro!!
I've got the 140 sport with DSG at the moment, and although I do sometime find the `box a bit jerky in some conditions, and I still get the dreaded r/bout / junction lag if iI'm not careful, I think I'd like DSG again - I drive a lot for work and it's great NOT to have a manual when stuck in traffic or in rush-hour traffic etc.

I would need to test drive both nearer the time, but like the look of and the spec level of the S-line, and I'm sure it'll be quick, but i wonder if the quattro 170 sport would make up for the more standard look and interior with superior grip & roadholding??

Ooh, I'd even like Lava Grey AGAIN!! I just love the colour (when it's clean, which ain't that often!!).

Anyone have any views?
David

It's a tough call that one. One thing I can tell you is that the TDI 170 needs 4wd in the wet. My 170 A4 spins its wheels far to easily in the wet. Off course this may be less so on the A3 but I doubt it. Its a lot of torque to get down through a fwd chassis.

If you spend time stuck in traffic then the DSG would be the way to go. But then if you drive on country roads quattro is the war to go ... with the DSG could you load it up for launches ? hold your foot on the brake and with it in gear put you foot on the accelerator, when theres a gap just release the breke ?

Quattro is about the only option i regret not having. My A3 170 TDI will spin the wheels in low gears in the dry and badly in the wet. Easy option is to ease the throttle on but there's times in the dry i want to have a play and ESP is kicking in. Could turn it off but would preffer ESP and qauttro.

quattro every time.

I drove a 140 2wd DSG and a 170 quattro manual (both TDI) and the quattro outclassed the 2wd every time. The 2wd's ESP was flashing away exiting a roundabout at speed (in the wet) whereas the quattro is virtually unflappable. Only once have I seen the traction control light come on and then I was pushing it hard. Day to day the quattro handling, dry or wet, is an experience not to be missed.

And Lava Grey is the new black :ninja:

SteveTDCi said:
If you spend time stuck in traffic then the DSG would be the way to go. But then if you drive on country roads quattro is the war to go ... with the DSG could you load it up for launches ? hold your foot on the brake and with it in gear put you foot on the accelerator, when theres a gap just release the breke ?

Not quite as easy as that also Steve, i live out in the sticks and there's a lot of twisty-bits, and also live 2 miles along a C-road, but then the last 4 miles of my daily commute to work takes me 20 mins in noes-to-tail traffic.
Plus i'm usually out of the office traipsing on some motorway 1 day a week.
I'd love the quattro, but I also love not having the "chore" of clutch operation when stuck in traffic.

It IS going to be a tough one, and I don't think a test-drive in both cars will make my mind up.
Pity the 3.2v6 ain't on my co.car list, but then again the torque of that is not dissimilar to my "little" 2.0 tdi 140....

And you can't "load it up" on the gas with foot on the brake - i've been doing a bit of left-foot braking of late, but at low speeds foot-on-brake = power cut to engine.....

And flipping a coin is no good - you dont get the answer you like the sound of so you go for "best out of 3" !!!!!!!

Difficult one, can't your company update there list as there is only about £25 difference between the s-tronic and quatrro s-line?

Good choice on the paint! I have not regret getting Lava Grey, but i do find myself spending a bit too much time keeping it clean and shinny. Thing is though, when it's all done, the pearleffect really rewards you at the end.

From what you have said I think it's a lemon squeezy decision.... go for the Auto S-line. You'll get a whole lot more value from the DSG if you love the auto in traffic than you will from the Quattro which in all honesty I find kicks in very rarely.

Not sure if its an issue, but you lose a not insignificant amount of boot space with the quattro.

But please not another Lava Grey. I know you like it but you risk getting sick of it before you sell it. Have a change of colour just for something different. Anyway half the fun is flaunting the fact you've got a new car! :)

Good luck and have fun pondering a very nice decision!

Firstly, why on earth can't you have an S-Line Quattro? It's the same price as the S-Line DSG!?

Secondly, as this is a company car, be aware that the Quattro option will whack the emissions band up, which might be a factor for you.

roadrunner said:
From what you have said I think it's a lemon squeezy decision.... go for the Auto S-line. You'll get a whole lot more value from the DSG if you love the auto in traffic than you will from the Quattro which in all honesty I find kicks in very rarely.

The haldex unit is working all the time, have you driven a fwd 170TDI?. Its like chalk and cheese driving a fwd 2.0T compared to our Quattro one, it feels much more sure footed and ive never even seen the traction control light on yet.

Dandle said:
have you driven a fwd 170TDI?

With the number of times my vehicle has been off the road (including again right now) I've had the chance to drive several fwd 170 loan cars.

Apart from wet/snowy conditions I haven't thought while driving them... I really miss my Quattro. Maybe with all the practice I've adjusted my driving technique and just got more used to fwd!

Dave try them both before you make your mind up. Do let us know.

I havent read the thread but my 2p - 170 sline FWD

do not ge quattro

the quattro saps too much power from what i have been told

the normal 170pd is much sharper but then again you could get a 140pd and remap it to 175/180 and it would still be quicker and cheaper than a 170pd

Had a few wild rides in a TDI140 DSG and it's great! Still good traction, nevertheless it can't put ALL the power down of course.
I had to make the same choice myself early this year between the S3 and the TDI 170. If you're going to find lots of snow, and if you plan to drive really hard all the time that's quattro.
you'll pay more cash, and since july so will we here in portugal due to the increase in CO2.
If you're not fully committed to drive hard, then it's not worth it.
The weather is quite worse in your country and quattro is always more safe, boot space has some reduction, but lets not consider that...
Hope I gave some valid arguments to consider:icon_thumright:

Drive them both and decide. With loads of torque I think Quattro is the best!!

2.0T Quattro !!!:hubbahubba:

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Yes, test-drives are in order most definitely, but I have a horrible feeling that a couple of days (and many hundred miles!!) with each STILL won't give me a clear favourite......
And to the questions re the car list - it's based on whole-life costs, which way the wind is blowing, the relationship between said car and a "theoretical reference model's costs in that grade", whether it's a shrove Tuesday, residuals, if there is a sacraficial goat handy, servincing etc etc.
I COULD opt out -
which would mean the bus!