Rusty door bottoms...

enc

Reaction score
When I picked up my 55 plate A3 in 2014 I was aware of the rust scab on the lower edge driver’s door. I’d fully intended to get it sorted but have always put it off due to concern about matching the Larva Grey paint.
Rust in this area is a common fault on early 8p’s and i believe it’s not a matter of “if” rather than “when” rust will appear. Apparently the rust is triggered by the plastic trim underneath the door which traps water encouraging the inevitable. I believe the trim was revised on later models so should be less of an issue.

Fast forward 2 years and ive just had front bumper, wings and bonnet repainted ….the Bodyshop having done a great job at blending new paint with old and colour match is superb. I would have liked them to sort the door at the same time but this was an insurance job at short notice thus not allowing me time to source a rust free replacement door.... I did have a a quick scan of eBay but most were worse than my original. Now that im confident the paint can be matched to a good standard Ill try and source a rust free door and have it painted in the spring/summer.
Another thing to consider is the alarming rate at which the rust on the door has spread.

So, a world of Warning, keep those under door plastic trims free of dirt and silt and spray some wax protection under there to delay the inevitable.

Reactions: kash_v
Good point @enc . I've never thought about water collecting down there, although I do clean that area with an old cloth and sometimes spray WD40 along the plastic trim.